×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Iron Chef's Chairman Is Nodame Cantabile's Tamaki




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
This will not end well.....

ICA sucks BTW.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
potatochobit



Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 1373
Location: TEXAS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
where is the guy who ate the bell pepper?
i hate the US version one and this little scrub doesnt look much better.
they lack swag - the I am awesome just because I am awesome appeal.

the original chairman and that guy from gangnam style - those guys know swag.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
WeirDiE_InC



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 408
Location: The GVRD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought Kaga was retired from acting. Also it doesn't help that they killed him off in the Iron Chef universe.

Anyways, if that's the actual set we see in those picture, impressive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zeopower6



Joined: 01 Nov 2011
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Kaga was last seen iirc in Dandy Daddy in 2010.

Tamaki fits the role so well. *_*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Petrea Mitchell



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 437
Location: Near Portland, OR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Heavens, his outfit looks downright tasteful after Kaga's.

Here's hoping for a glimpse of the old chairman in the opening episode!

WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Also it doesn't help that they killed him off in the Iron Chef universe.


Ack, what?? I missed that. What happened?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GreatSG



Joined: 04 Nov 2011
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Heavens, his outfit looks downright tasteful after Kaga's.

Here's hoping for a glimpse of the old chairman in the opening episode!

WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Also it doesn't help that they killed him off in the Iron Chef universe.


Ack, what?? I missed that. What happened?


Yeah, in the 2002 Iron Chef Japan World Cup they couldn't get Takeshi Kaga for it, so they killed him off in story by starting the special off with a funeral wake for Chairman Kaga. Apparently he ate bad Fugu Fish. For that special Masahiro Motoki was the new chairman and until this new special, there hasn't been anything done with the original Iron Chef.

As a huge fan of the series (I've been running a retrospective panel at a lot of conventions on the east coast over the past year including Otakon) this special gives me hope that it could get people to check out the original series.

Sadly in the US we only got around half the original Japanese run of episodes and there's no official release of Iron Chef in either the states or Japan, and the best place to watch the show is through fan collections online, but there's still a lot of episodes that are "missing" or only available in Japanese with no subtitles (a lot of episodes survive from local subtitled airings from San Francisco in the mid 90s) and it's always been my hope that one day all those missing episodes will surface and I can watch them. I can dream at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2132
Location: Online Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The original Chairman may or may not have died due to a tragic fugu mishap. Depends on who you are asking.

Sunday Silence wrote:
ICA sucks BTW.

Once it stopped trying to fully emulate Japanese Iron Chef, ICA improved greatly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crosswithyou



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 2862
Location: California
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
It never occured to me that Iron Chef even ended in Japan.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
ICA sucks BTW.

Once it stopped trying to fully emulate Japanese Iron Chef, ICA improved greatly.


Nnnnnoooooo..............It still sucks.

Many of the Iron Chefs are underutilized (They use Fllay and Baldy more than the others....I think Cora has been used only as many fingers as on a human hand). The floor reporter is annoying and obtrusive (He goes INTO THE COOKING AREA and bugs the cooks and can't say "Konbanwa" properly.) Some of the judges are idiots. Brown needs to stop making anecdotes and useless banter and state food facts. And the Chairman is a ******. He sucks as Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-0 as well.

Chopped all the way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
potatochobit



Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 1373
Location: TEXAS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
I like alton brown, but he just talks too much sometimes
they also keep bringing in these rookies as iron chef
but to be fair, the cooking has become a real competition
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BorgmanJayce



Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 298
Location: Hades via UK
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="Sunday Silence"]
Joe Mello wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
ICA sucks BTW.

And the Chairman is a ******. He sucks as Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-0 as well.

Chopped all the way.


Why do you hate Mark Dacascos so much, dude?

I think he's bloody awesome as the Chairman AND as Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-0 as well (personally, I can't wait to see the new series, especially as I want to see what he's going to do next when it comes to being a totally evil bastard!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
[quote="BorgmanJayce"]
Sunday Silence wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
ICA sucks BTW.

And the Chairman is a ******. He sucks as Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-0 as well.

Chopped all the way.


Why do you hate Mark Dacascos so much, dude?

I think he's bloody awesome as the Chairman AND as Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-0 as well (personally, I can't wait to see the new series, especially as I want to see what he's going to do next when it comes to being a totally evil bastard!)


Cause he is a vapid wooden lifeless dull actor with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever?

He is an insult to the original Wo Fat, Khigh Dhiegh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BorgmanJayce



Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 298
Location: Hades via UK
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
[quote="Sunday Silence"]
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
ICA sucks BTW.

And the Chairman is a ******. He sucks as Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-0 as well.

Chopped all the way.


Why do you hate Mark Dacascos so much, dude?

I think he's bloody awesome as the Chairman AND as Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-0 as well (personally, I can't wait to see the new series, especially as I want to see what he's going to do next when it comes to being a totally evil bastard!)


Cause he is a vapid wooden lifeless dull actor with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever?

He is an insult to the original Wo Fat, Khigh Dhiegh.


If he's supposedly a "vapid, wooden, lifeless, dull actor" as you oh so eloquently described him (/sarcasm), then how come his character in Hawaii Five-0 is one of the most popular characters in the series AND he still gets a lot of acting work as well?

Look at it this way, he's a way better actor than most of those starring in those shitty scripted "reality shows" that you Americans are oh so fond of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Petrea Mitchell



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 437
Location: Near Portland, OR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The original Chairman may or may not have died due to a tragic fugu mishap. Depends on who you are asking.


Perhaps he simply regenerated. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
If he's supposedly a "vapid, wooden, lifeless, dull actor" as you oh so eloquently described him (/sarcasm), then how come his character in Hawaii Five-0 is one of the most popular characters in the series AND he still gets a lot of acting work as well?

Look at it this way, he's a way better actor than most of those starring in those shitty scripted "reality shows" that you Americans are oh so fond of.


Popular my butt....

Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
The original Chairman may or may not have died due to a tragic fugu mishap. Depends on who you are asking.


Perhaps he simply regenerated. Smile


Oh nonono, don't bring Doctor Who into this....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group