• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to protect your Art Boxes from shelf wear & damage?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Vata try plastic wrap. It sounds weird but it works. Wrap a big piece around the box, squeeze out all of the air bubbles, push the sides into the box, and seal the top and bottom. I do it for the Kadokawa boxes so the don't get those circular looking scuffs from brushing against other sets. I'll post a pic of that as well.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
What scruffs? Do you put sandpaper between your box sets or something? Razz I have boxes from the early 2000's that look as good as the day I bought them, and I've done nothing more than just keep them out of sunlight. And they've survived two moves to new homes to boot. So really, I don't get the problem anyone has with damaging their art boxes.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
They do indeed scuff. Plastic digipak sleeves get the worst of it, but it is also apparent on my boxes with a glossy finish. This is why I try to keep all of my collectibles protected.
Jon182

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
If your art boxes mean that much to you, and you have enough space. Just put your art boxes on a shelf, put your discs in a binder(s) with sleeves(alphabetize) them if you want. Problem solved...I think.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Edit

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Tue May 06, 2014 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
@ One-Eye: they remind me of comic bags. The Bandai Visual ones are resealable, while the Aniplex ones need a piece of tape. Kadokawa sets come wrapped in a bunch of plastic but its unusable after you take it off. For single discs I have a stash of DVD sized plastic bags I found at work. They fit a DVD sized digipak perfectly. For BD sized ones I cut a little of the top off. I'll post a pic but yeah the comic bag stuff would totally work.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm going to first try some saran wrap and then some comic bags, to see what works out best.

willag wrote:
Oh, no wait, that was a dream I had last night. Actually, I tend to use the dvds as frisbees for a fun day at the park while my kitty utilizes the boxes as scratching posts.

Sailor S wrote:
What scruffs? Do you put sandpaper between your box sets or something? Razz I have boxes from the early 2000's that look as good as the day I bought them, and I've done nothing more than just keep them out of sunlight. And they've survived two moves to new homes to boot. So really, I don't get the problem anyone has with damaging their art boxes.

No, not using art boxes for target practice (though I wouldn't put it past willag) or extreme sporting events. The situation is not quite so excessive in my case. With one or two exceptions its mostly as Vata Raven described it:

Vata Raven wrote:
Only things that my boxes have is a bit of shelf wear on the bottoms...that's it.

It doesn't matter if you have perfectly smooth shelves, if you move stuff around a lot its bound to cause friction. If you don't move stuff very much, then you probably have nothing to worry about. If your boxes are made of low quality materials then it may have some impact on the longevity of your stuff. I had some dye/ink lift up from one of the boxes and get on another and that's why I try not to squish things into shelves anymore. I've also had to re-glue my Gantz Perfect Score box that holds the black sphere twice as its very flimsy (card stock). This doesn't mean my whole collection is falling apart. I'm just trying to add a bit of protection to a few boxes is all..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2