• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AT&T Blocking Part of 4chan, Then Restores Access

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this incident was a case of censorship, but I DO think that it should serve to remind people how incredibly easy it is for an ISP to block anything they want, at any time, for any reason, without telling its customers and with no legal repercussions.

it's also worth noting that AT&T is one of the most vocal opponents of net neutrality there is.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Kirkdawg wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
And nothing of value was lost.

Why do people keep saying this? This is the 3rd time this exact sentence has been posted by 3 separate users and it's making me curious.
4chan meme.
And yeah, people, it's old. The joke's done now, and any more posting of it risks having this thread shut down.

Here. Let's put an end to it with the image macro that started it.

oh and..
IT STINKS!
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
If this is the website that spawned those morons shouting "You lost the game" at otakon then I have to believe it would be better if it was shut down forever.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, thanks to your comment I google'd The Game and there is the origins of that.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
yellow ledbetter wrote:
If this is the website that spawned those morons shouting "You lost the game" at otakon then I have to believe it would be better if it was shut down forever.

As annoying as that was, nothing is more annoying and overdone than the Marco Polo thing. Anyone who takes part in that does not deserve to live.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I know other people have said it, but is it really that hard to believe that AT&T was just trying to fix a problem? They have to protect their network and users, otherwise they'll just get run over. Besides, this is hardly 4chan's first experience with such an attack, so it isn't out of the question. 4chan tends to get so worked up about things that apparently they'd rather that people attack their site than allow an ISP to help out for a few days because that would be censorship.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
God, I hate /b/ nothing but racist pedophiliac cyber bully users that hand around that place. The fews times I've been there, there was nothing, but racist slander, people showing off their CP collection, making jokes about people dying and showing off pictures of people that were horribly mutilated to death.

Oh and to everyone who thinks all those memes come from 4chan. They don't. Most of them comes from the something awful forums. Those on 4chan just makes it popular then takes credit for it.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I hate to sound stupid, but who or what is 4chan. I've heard of 4chan, and that 4chan owns a website that is emo or has rants or something, but I don't know what or who 4chan is and what 4chan does. Can someone fill me in?
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
4chan is a wretched hive of scum and villany...watch yourself, it can be pretty rough...

Just kidding. 4chan is the english equivalent of 2chan, a Japanese image board where people post image responses and discuss various things. 4chan has multiple boards, some good and interesting, some sick and twisted (as well as 18+). Its also immensely popular in internet culture with new memes spawning almost everyday.

/b/ is its most popular board, which has very little rules regarding content, and often draws attention from script kiddies and bored high schoolers. /b/ is often seen as the sum total of human negativity and offensiveness, which explains its draw to people. Stay on the clean boards and its pretty fun. Even /b/ has its moments of hilarity, but mileage may vary.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
masa wrote:
Seriously. Come on folks. Let's use some common sense here.

If ISPs wanted to blackhole 4chan, they could have done that a long time ago. VERY EASILY. I work at an ISP as it's Senior Network Engineer. Trust me when I say it's easy... But, it's not about filtering content. It's about filtering spoofed packets that were eating up bandwidth on the networks not having anything to do with it in the first place. Innocent people who have no clue what 4chan is or even care about 4chan were being harmed because the script kiddies want to have what they view as fun.

Common Sense. Please find and use it right away.

Thanks to PlatinumHawke for actually understanding what's going on.

As this entire post was "right on the money", what I put in bold is what everyone reading this should try very hard to remember.
xgemina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
I hate to sound stupid, but who or what is 4chan. I've heard of 4chan, and that 4chan owns a website that is emo or has rants or something, but I don't know what or who 4chan is and what 4chan does. Can someone fill me in?

Being that this hit the AP newswire this afternoon (7/27), I imagine there are a whole bunch of people with this same question. I wonder how many will plug in the URL and immediately have issues with the content on some of the boards.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090727/D99N11OO3.html
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
God, I hate /b/ nothing but racist pedophiliac cyber bully users that hand around that place. The fews times I've been there, there was nothing, but racist slander, people showing off their CP collection, making jokes about people dying and showing off pictures of people that were horribly mutilated to death.

Tragic part is, /b/ used to be fun (cue some Channer saying "/b/ was never good!" but it's true). Back a few years ago, /b/ was all about mocking those sorts of people. Unfortunately, they wound up taking themselves too seriously and buying into their own Fox News "INTERNET HAET MACHINE" hype and becoming that which they used to deride.

Hannish Lightning wrote:
Oh and to everyone who thinks all those memes come from 4chan. They don't. Most of them comes from the something awful forums. Those on 4chan just makes it popular then takes credit for it.

Actually, most 4chan memes stem from YTMND. SomethingAwful users started 4chan, and there's no shortage of memes that 4chan "borrowed" from SA, but over the years SA's and 4chan's senses of humor kind of diverged to where SA was more biting sarcasm and 4chan was more banging pots & pans together shouting "DESU!" as loud as they could, so the cross-pollination between the two waned (in fact, there seems to be quite the vocal animosity between users of the two sites). However, YTMND's style was a perfect match for the Chan crowd, so they started "borrowing" rather liberally from it instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
/r9k/ is rather the new /b/, or what it was supposed to be. Moot is trying to make it not as shitty as /b/ by having filters to keep out simple thoughtless repost repost reposts. Meanwhile, I usually stick to the TV and comics boards.

yellow ledbetter wrote:
I've heard GameFAQs tries to get credit for it too. A friend of mine goes there. We both think it's one of the stupidest and most annoying jokes ever, so I don't know why anyone would want credit for it.

As for various internet meme origins, SA, 4chan, and YTMND all rather cross pollinate. Though I like that " biting sarcasm " vs "more banging pots & pans together shouting "DESU!" as loud as they could" comparison. A roommate is a goon and I keep meaning to pay the $5 to join.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
yellow ledbetter wrote:

Also "BUTTSCRACTHER!!"
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

cool story bro
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6