• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
GDFan wrote:
The one and only order I made with them arrived damaged, or at least one of the two items in that order did. Their customer service seemed fairly responsive, although somewhat different than what I'm accustomed to. They had me take pictures of the damage and send them in to them. Only then did they replace the damaged artbox. I suppose that was better than having to go through the typical return/exchange process.

I'm fairly certain I'm never going to order anything directly through them again. They don't seem to understand how to package items to prevent damage during shipping. But, like I said, their customer service was more than adequate. I'm really surprised you haven't received a reply yet.

That's funny because they didn't make me take pictures of the crunched corner of the damaged artbox I had received-they didn't even want the damaged one back.

Well, I didn't think it was too funny when I received two premium artboxes, weighing about 3.5 lbs altogether, placed into a much larger shipping box, with practically zero packing materials preventing them from being damaged during shipping.

I didn't really understand their request for pictures until I asked them to explain. They were asking for pics of the damaged item for feedback on their shipping practices. It was basically pics for a replacement artbox, a complete return for a brand new replacement set.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
they probably dont have many replacement discs available i guess

here is the back of yuru yuri
disc made in mexico

WTK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day Complete Series Standard Edition

MSRP: $59.99
RELEASE DATE: October 29, 2013

LENGTH: Approx. 255 mins/11 eps
FORMAT: 2 Blu-rays and 2 DVDs
LANGUAGE: Japanese audio, English subtitles

About the extras:
- Contains 4-panel episode guide leaflet
- Episode 1 clean ending, teasers & commercials, and online episode previews

======

From yesterday.

http://www.nisamerica.com/anime/HSboys/replace/disc_replace.php
Quote:
Dear Valued Customers,

Thank you to all of our fans who purchased the Premium Edition of Daily Lives of High School Boys. We greatly appreciate your support.

It has come to our attention that the first volume Blu-ray disc for Daily Lives of High School Boys has a visual artifact in Episode 8. We truly apologize for this. If you have received the inital batch of this series, we will be sure to ship out your replacement disc starting in November 2013 when the discs will be ready.

To determine if you have the first batch of the defective Blu-ray disc or a later corrected version, please see the diagram below.

*** If you have purchased this series from our NISA Online Store, you will NOT need to fill out this form as you will automatically receive your replacement Blu-ray disc as soon as they are available, without further action. ***

Thank you all again for your continued support!

Best regards,

NIS America, Inc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
And once again my tendency not to be an early buyer saves me some inconvenience.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
It didn't save you a lot. The form took about a minute or less to fill out. They aren't asking you to do anything else.

I watched the show and didn't notice the artifact the first time around. However since it was pointed out, I wouldn't be able to not notice it later.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
eh, now I have to go open my box?

why is it so hard for companies to make anime discs?
this is not NIS americas first mistake this year, in fact all the major companies have had many issues
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me if I'm speaking out of term here, but... Is this really necessary?

Just how bad is the artifacting on that episode? Is it something really bad and noticeable that effects the entire episode? Or is it just something that pops up for a split second then goes away? Because if it's the latter, then I think NIS is going a tiny bit overboard doing a full disc replacement.

It seems that more and more, NIS is having to replace pretty much everything they put out. They've had issues with their products since they first started. Their customer service is good, yes, but they have some of the absolute worst quality control in the business. Methinks they'd make a lot more money if they weren't constantly spending it all to fix their mistakes. Confused
Razzuel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Forgive me if I'm speaking out of term here, but... Is this really necessary?

Just how bad is the artifacting on that episode? Is it something really bad and noticeable that effects the entire episode? Or is it just something that pops up for a split second then goes away? Because if it's the latter, then I think NIS is going a tiny bit overboard doing a full disc replacement.

It seems that more and more, NIS is having to replace pretty much everything they put out. They've had issues with their products since they first started. Their customer service is good, yes, but they have some of the absolute worst quality control in the business. Methinks they'd make a lot more money if they weren't constantly spending it all to fix their mistakes. Confused

The misinformation here is pretty staggering.

The last NISA release to have a defect was House of Five Leaves, which was released in March 2012, so no, they aren't replacing everything they put out.

Justin Sevakis on Twitter, who does the Blu-ray authoring for NISA, said the issue with Daily Lives of High School Boys is a single frame glitch in the master. This means that the issue lies with the master that was supplied to NISA, not their authoring of the Blu-ray, and since it's only a single frame, I imagine most people aren't ever going to notice it. Yes, defective releases are bad, but so far, NISA has fixed every defective release they have released so far, and they're even fixing this small defect, which is incredible. It isn't going overboard; it shows how much NISA cares about their products and consumers.

If you want poor quality control, you need to look at Sentai. They have several defective releases, and continue to release defective releases despite them saying multiple times that they are going to improve their processes. Out of these many, many defective releases, Sentai has only fixed three of them: Kids on the Slope, Tari Tari, and Medaka Box. I find this treatment of their products and consumers quite insulting and disrespectful.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The last NISA release to have a defect was House of Five Leaves, which was released in March 2012, so no, they aren't replacing everything they put out.

a guy in this very thread on the previous page received a box for princess and the pilot and it didn't even have a video disc in it! Rolling Eyes

I'm pretty sure some people had problems with pyschoelectric girl having missing booklet pages.

this may be the 2nd DISC recall but wtihout a doubt, all the american anime companies have terrible QC.

I don't really understand that, it's like no one who works at the anime companies actually watch the anime. It is more likely that they are overworked and underpaid, I can understand that.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
all the american anime companies have terrible QC

Even Aniplex USA with their quasi Japanese pricing. The only company that I never found a reason to bitch at QC was Bandai Visual USA. Expensive? Yes. Stellar looking and sounding encodes with solid packaging? F*ck yes. Wish they'd never left.

@SpacemanHardy yes it is necessary. Even if its perfect we must always find a reason to piss and moan (minus BVUSA ;p)

Anohana regular. Time to TRIP DIP! The only other series I've bought more than twice was Oreimo.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Quote:

a guy in this very thread on the previous page received a box for princess and the pilot and it didn't even have a video disc in it! Rolling Eyes

I'm pretty sure some people had problems with pyschoelectric girl having missing booklet pages.

this may be the 2nd DISC recall but wtihout a doubt, all the american anime companies have terrible QC.

I don't really understand that, it's like no one who works at the anime companies actually watch the anime. It is more likely that they are overworked and underpaid, I can understand that.

Damn, I should've looked further at my copy of Princess and the Pilot. I must've glanced over the disc when I watched my copy movie.

There's two things being complained about here. One is a mistake from the company itself (such as horrible mastering/mistakes in video/audio). The other are mistakes from replicators which end up in sets missing discs or faults in packaging. What NISA is currently doing is a mistake from their end where the master had an issue and they neglected to fix it. What you're showing as examples were mistakes from the replicators who neglected to package something in a set. That's not a fault of NISA; rather their replicator was rushing through production and can't check every single copy.

When fans complain about QC, it's usually about the issues that affect EVERY disc, not one-off examples like you used. In addition, NISA has mentioned several times how they have company viewings of their anime releases, so your complaint about how no one watches it is untrue for them.
GDFan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
If you want poor quality control, you need to look at Sentai. They have several defective releases, and continue to release defective releases despite them saying multiple times that they are going to improve their processes. Out of these many, many defective releases, Sentai has only fixed three of them: Kids on the Slope, Tari Tari, and Medaka Box. I find this treatment of their products and consumers quite insulting and disrespectful.

I didn't hear anything about a corrected release of Tari Tari. Was it recalled or is there a replacement program? I would very much like to get a disc without that subtitle issue.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
I didn't hear anything about a corrected release of Tari Tari. Was it recalled or is there a replacement program? I would very much like to get a disc without that subtitle issue.

Tari Tari didn't have a replacement program like Kids on the Slope, which is probably why you didn't hear anything. If you ordered it from Right Stuf, you can just contact them for a replacement, or you can email Sentai Filmworks at [email protected].
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Well I finally opened up my copy of Daily lives and I did indeed have one of the defective discs.
I filled out the form, we will see what happens in FEB. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11