• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronoclast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The first two seasons were released on BR in Japan but only as an upscale.

They're not SD upscales. Both seasons were made in HD though the first season at least looks soft. http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1947014#post1947014
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
http://www.nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=n&article=pbomb/PrinnyBomb_Vol283.html#
Quote:
Natsume's Book of Friends Season 4 is coming July 2013! Stay tuned for more details, dood!
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Darn, I was rather hoping for seasons 3 and 4 to be combined like 1 and 2 were, and be a cheaper DVD only release. I need to start watching my 1 & 2 set ASAP to determine if they're worth getting the LEs for 3 and 4 when they come out anyway (as opposed to waiting for the cheaper re-releases)

Still, it's nice that they've got dates set! Or at least a month!
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
What a ripoff. Why package season 1 & 2 together and just put season 3 by itself, when in fact there are only 4 seasons all together.

It doesn't matter if the damn release is a combo pack, it should NOT cost as much as release that came with twice the amount of episodes. At least season 1 & 2 put together are worth the price tag, not 1 season by itself. 1 season should have the retail of $59.99, like how House of 5 Leaves does and have it discounted to like $49.99.

For crying out loud, blu-rays don't cost that damn much to call for a price increase, they've been around since 2008 or whenever the hell the PS3 came out. I rather them wait 4 months and put the 2 seasons into the same release.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

For crying out loud, blu-rays don't cost that damn much to call for a price increase, they've been around since 2008 or whenever the hell the PS3 came out.

Why blame the disks themselves, and not the licensing costs? Ever think that maybe, for whatever reason, S1 and 2 were more cheaper to license?
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought they got all four seasons at once, possibly like as a set or something. So here, it really wouldn't explain the price increase. Now, it's possible that seasons 1 and 2 weren't HD in the first place and 3 and 4 were, but I find it hard to justify a price increase of more than about $5 these days. I mean, Funi's SAVE Blu Ray sets are $35 and the DVD ones $30 (for ones that are $30 in the first place), so clearly there must be some extra cost there, but I think charging the same price for 26 DVD eps vs 13 DVD and BluRay eps when most people are only going to use one half or the other, especially after releasing the first two seasons so affordably, is a bit annoying to say the least. The reason this is my first NISA set is in part because it has 26 eps. That and I already have the manga for House of Five Leaves (I tried the manga for Natsume, but it just didn't click quite as right).
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I thought they got all four seasons at once, possibly like as a set or something. So here, it really wouldn't explain the price increase. Now, it's possible that seasons 1 and 2 weren't HD in the first place and 3 and 4 were, but I find it hard to justify a price increase of more than about $5 these days. I mean, Funi's SAVE Blu Ray sets are $35 and the DVD ones $30 (for ones that are $30 in the first place), so clearly there must be some extra cost there, but I think charging the same price for 26 DVD eps vs 13 DVD and BluRay eps when most people are only going to use one half or the other, especially after releasing the first two seasons so affordably, is a bit annoying to say the least. The reason this is my first NISA set is in part because it has 26 eps. That and I already have the manga for House of Five Leaves (I tried the manga for Natsume, but it just didn't click quite as right).

Well then don't buy it. Personally I am happy to get the BR & DVD. I only have a DVD player but down the line if I do get a BR player I will already have Natsume on BR as well (and it's nice to get both the DVD and BR as back up).

Other reasons I am happy there are 3 sets is because I now have more artwork.

But then Natsume is one of my most favorite series. I would never spend that money on a series I am not familiar with or not a fan of. But since I am a fan of this series I think it deserves the very best treatment and that is what NISA is giving it (and really it's not that expensive).
Altacia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote

But then Natsume is one of my most favorite series. I would never spend that money on a series I am not familiar with or not a fan of. But since I am a fan of this series I think it deserves the very best treatment and that is what NISA is giving it (and really it's not that expensive).

This 100%!

Very Happy

Really glad they are putting at least 4 Months in between Season 3 and 4 though. The price isn't that bad considering the care that NISA has given Natsume.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Other reasons I am happy there are 3 sets is because I now have more artwork.

It is really artwork when they just use screen caps from the ANIME to put them into the art book?

No, it's not. They don't even put in manga art into the art books. The only limited edition release of theirs that wasn't just screen shots was Pandora Hearts with them adding a manga chapter in it (unsure is it was just in that art book or if Yen Press has also published it)

Only reason why I even bought Natsume (without even previewing it) was because I was going to buy the manga and it was a shojo with a male with that didn't deal with effing romance. And S1 & S2 released together made the price worth it. They could've just as easily put S3 & S4 into the same release.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

It is really artwork when they just use screen caps from the ANIME to put them into the art book?

I was talking about the art on the outer box which is absolutely gorgeous and I am thrilled to get 3 boxes with that artwork to display on my shelf.

And the artbook is for the anime not the manga, so of course they are going to have anime art. But it isn't just screencaps there is promotional art in the book too & an interview with the director.

The artbook for Natsume is just okay but whatever I don't buy the set for the artbook, that's just an extra.
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Not bumping the old thread for this...

via RACS
Quote:
Finally, the folks at NISA reached out to us this week to let us know that they have shipped the last copies of their excellent House of Five Leaves Premium Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set to retailers, and that while they are not ruling out the possibility of a standard edition somewhere down the road, the Premium edition is now officially out of print.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Once again, thanks for the head's up, WTK.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Again...making it sound like they WON'T print a standard edition, when in fact, they will
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
How, in your world, does:

Quote:
they are not ruling out the possibility of a standard edition somewhere down the road

...translate into "...making it sound like they WON'T print a standard edition..."

Rolling Eyes
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Almost sold out now @ TRSI...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11