• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America 2013 Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Woah, glad I pulled the trigger!
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
  • Hanasaku Iroha ~ Blossoms for Tomorrow: Volume 1 Premium Edition (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - 308 minutes - $69.99 - 4/9/13
    Quote:
    Contains episodes 1-13, plus a 36-page hardcover art book which provides a deeper viewing experience with detailed character info, rough sketches, artist interviews and setting illustrations.

Special Features: Clean Openings and Endings, Japanese Trailers.

Spoken Languages: Japanese, English subtitles.

EDIT: via PR @ ANN
    Quote:
    For especially eager fans, NIS America is thrilled to reveal that Hana-Saku Iroha ~Blossoms for Tomorrow~ Volume 2 Premium Edition will be released in July, only a few months after the release of the initial volume.

---

Last edited by WTK on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
looks like NISA's got some explaining to do
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm absolutely thrilled that NISA has Hanasaku Iroha, but did I simply miss a previous licensing announcement? To me, it seems like they skipped the whole license announcement step and went right to the solicitation which is fine by me.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
maybe they are attending an upcoming con and plan to announce it there. perhaps rightstuf got ahead of themselves
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm absolutely thrilled that NISA has Hanasaku Iroha, but did I simply miss a previous licensing announcement?

This was not announced prior to today.
Quote:
To me, it seems like they skipped the whole license announcement step and went right to the solicitation which is fine by me.

If they are not attending conventions, this will be the license delivery method. The solicitation(s) will be provided to the official online retailers (TRSI, RACS,...) and then the PR will be issued later on in the day. There is nothing unusual about this.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The premium edition of Bunny Drop costs the exact same amount as the standard edition.

What the hell, NISA? Seriously! WHAT THE HELL?!?! Confused
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
@ WTK - I never really noticed that before. I know that other companies, like Sentai, still announce licenses first, even if they aren't attending a con, as they have been doing all week.

It's also a little odd that a title like this, previously unannounced, is getting released earlier (presumably) than titles like Brave 10 (which was announced via press release as opposed to at a con, by the way) and The Daily Lives of High School Boys, which were announced as license acquisitions a year ago and which have still not be solicited.

@ SpacemanHardy - not quite. NISA's MSRP for the Bunny Drop PE was $69.99 and it's MSRP for the standard edition is $64.99. For whatever reason, TRSI is not discounting the standard edition at the same percentage as the PE. Having said all that, I too, was under the impression that there was a greater difference in MSRP between the PE and standard versions. It wouldn't surprise me if we find out that the prices listed for these new NISA standard editions are not correct.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
^ Still, a drop of only 5 bucks is quite the ripoff, if you ask me.

It's like they're still charging you for the artbook and case even though they're not giving them to you. BULLCRAP. Mad

EDIT: Looks like they've lowered it to $47.99. More reasonable, but still a bit rich for my blood. Confused
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I still don't think that is the right price - unless NISA has dramatically raised the MRSP on its standard editions. I'd wait a little bit before determining if those prices are final. I think you'll find the MRSP for these standards will be around $44.99 and they'll get discounted from there.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's also a little odd that a title like this, previously unannounced, is getting released earlier (presumably) than titles like Brave 10 (which was announced via press release as opposed to at a con, by the way) and The Daily Lives of High School Boys, which were announced as license acquisitions a year ago and which have still not be solicited.

Brave10 and Daily Lives of High School Boys (and also the recently announced Love Live! School Idol Project) were definitely all announced via PR. Daily Lives of High School Boys (just recently released in Taiwan on DVD) could be released before Brave10.

For me I look at license availability (internationally) and also planning. Has the license (for typically newer ones been released outside of Japan? Hanasaku Iroha was released in a single DVD boxset in Taiwan last year. I try not to over-analyze this, since it may not mean anything in the overall picture. You would also look at when the last Japan home video release is. Any NISA release within a couple of months of the last JP home video release is unrealistic.

And I also look at how the release is planned out by NISA. Hanasaku Iroha set 1 in April and set 2 in July (along with Natsume's Book of Friends S4). This set-up is fitted for the con season. Release timing wise, their current set-up makes sense.

Lastly NISA hinted about forthcoming new announcements. They didn't specify whether it was anime, video game, or something else. It's probably safe to say they were hinting about anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
@ WTK - as always, you are an oasis of common sense in the midst of raging chaos. Yes, I often forget to consider Japanese release dates when considering R1 releases. And it never even occurred to me to think about other non-Japanese release dates when trying to suss things out. As you say, such a consideration is not necessarily conclusive, but it certain can be suggestive in an educated way.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I still don't think that is the right price - unless NISA has dramatically raised the MRSP on its standard editions. I'd wait a little bit before determining if those prices are final. I think you'll find the MRSP for these standards will be around $44.99 and they'll get discounted from there.

If they can get it down to around $41.99 or less, whether by coupon or sale, I'll bite. Bunny Drop is one of the shows I've been most interested in, but I just really have a problem with paying more for a sub-only release than I would for a bilingual one.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I was just looking at the list of NISA releases at TRSI and saw new items. A few things are confusing. First, the standard release for Ghastly Prince Enma is Blu-Ray only; the standard release for season 1 of Arakawa Under the Bridge is available separately as DVD-only or Blu-Ray-only; and the standard edition of Bunny Drop is a combo. Did they hire someone from FUNimation to handle packaging decisions for their standard editions? It also surprised me to see the standard edition release for Bunny Drop when the premium edition is still readily available. I know they did release both standard and premium at the same time for Wagnaria! but I have not seen any other standard editions come out before the premium edition was almost gone (as with Ghastly Prince Enma which TRSI has one copy of which they are selling at full MSRP). Perhaps I need to keep an eye out for the premium edition of Bunny Drop to sprout a counter.

I need to check out some of Hanasaku Iroha soon. Some of the things I've heard make me think I should avoid it, however a lot of people seem to like it. Since it comes out in April I could combine it with Hyakko and get free shipping (I think the dates are 1 week apart).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^ Still, a drop of only 5 bucks is quite the ripoff, if you ask me.

It's like they're still charging you for the artbook and case even though they're not giving them to you. BULLCRAP. Mad

EDIT: Looks like they've lowered it to $47.99. More reasonable, but still a bit rich for my blood. Confused
I'm not sure the price is quite right yet, but it doesn't seem too far off some of the other standard editions. When you consider that Occult Academy is $39.99 for BD only, Toradora! and Pandora Hearts is $31.99 for DVD only, meanwhile Bunny Drop is a BD/DVD combo. Maybe because its a combo (and a well liked show) its adding a few more bucks to the price?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11