• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iron Man, Wolverine Marvel Anime Teasers Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
As for the "bub" bit, there are some VA's who are pretty good with the English language--good enough to not add that extra vowel at the end.

I think you may be taking me a little too seriously... bubbu. Smile
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

EDIT: And I think they might go with the Japanese phrase "小僧" which is the closest of their Japanese language meaning "brat". For they just don't have a direct annotation for something like "bub" in their language system.

I never really took Woverine's Bub to be "brat" or really derogatory. It's like "dude", just a generic term he uses. Granted the last time I bought X-Men was probably shortly after that Wolverine sidestory in the 1980's. I lost interest in Marvel when they wiped out all of their supernatural characters.

Quote:
I think you may be taking me a little too seriously... bubbu.

No, I just get a little tired of people who are so insistant on "authentic Japanese" that even when the character is obviously "Sam", they have to refer to him as "Samu" even if the Japanese VA's DO manage to say "Sam" or the name is printed in the show as "Sam"
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

EDIT: And I think they might go with the Japanese phrase "小僧" which is the closest of their Japanese language meaning "brat". For they just don't have a direct annotation for something like "bub" in their language system.

I never really took Woverine's Bub to be "brat" or really derogatory. It's like "dude", just a generic term he uses. Granted the last time I bought X-Men was probably shortly after that Wolverine sidestory in the 1980's. I lost interest in Marvel when they wiped out all of their supernatural characters.
There's still Thor and Hercule, but I can't recall a female supernatural lead character from Marvel at the moment. I would like to see a few of those myself, personally.

I think it's the fact that Wolverine used the annotation "bub" in conjunction with paraphrases like "now listen here, bub" and "let's go, bub", all the while he kept popping those adamantium claws of his to strike a pose. That gives me a feeling that he isn't trying to warm up to whoever he was addressing to by calling them "dude". I'm just saying, of course.
thief_ac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
This is the new level of Iron Man and Wolverine Shocked
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
I made an analysis video for the Wolverine trailer. I said that Wolvie should not have long hair and be skinny, I said he should be short and hairy. I have the comics, he's short and hairy and buff.

So I take it you dislike Hugh Jackman as Wolverine considering he is neither short nor hairy & has long been a favorite of the female fans. (I.E.-a bishonen)

Guess I'm one of the few that enjoyed the Wolverine trailer, even with the "mullet". I think what will pull it off is the action sequences, the character's overall attitude, as well as his lines. I enjoyed Hugh Jackman as Wolverine even though he didn't exactly match the comic version physically. He was still masculine and exuded confidence and a bit of cockiness... which to me is what is necessary to portray Wolverine. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for both of these.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3