• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Orguss 02

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Many fans didn't even know it was a sequel; many more Americans saw it than the original series (which wasn't even finished until the short-lived Anime Classics release last year).

I knew it was a sequel, but wanted to finish the original.

Quote:
Now, the original Orguss was a fun, entertaining sci-fi piece, but it had some pretty major flaws in both its setup (wherein a dimensional bomb has failed, leaving the world in a state of constant trans-dimensional flux)

That really didn't bother me; but then I (kinda) liked Sliders, too, so...What irritated me was that the crew ran around a hippie spaceship instead of a real battleship, even though they kept getting their butts kicked. But yeah, the characters annoyed me a bit, too, though not as much as in Eva. My theory was that Ishiguro didn't want to be viewed as cashing in on Macross, so he deliberately went for an anti-Macross route with this follow-up. [I.E. more b-plots, more fan service instead of love triangles, and more war and less "soft" power.]

Anyway, surprised you consider the sequel to be that good, since I originally imagined it to be a cash-in like Macross II. [Which is underrated.]
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Wow, a Buried Treasure I have actually seen!
Anyway, I just wanted to say this is available on amazon.co.uk for 5 pounds, which might be around 10-15$ if you include shipping.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Wait. There are people who actually like Orguss 2 and think it's better than the original? The mind boggles.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Its available from Netflix, btw.
lostanddamned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
This Short series was released on two discs earlier this year in the UK in Manga Force partworks by Manga & DeGonisti in two seperate issues, both of which I have, issue 31 and issue 34.

So you can find them on Ebay UK quite cheaply, bear in mind they are Region Two only. Exclamation
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:
Wait. There are people who actually like Orguss 2 and think it's better than the original? The mind boggles.

Seriously. When I saw the heading on the front page I thought it must have been a mislabeled Buried Garbage.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Orguss 02 for me was to Orguss what Macross II was to Macross. There was so much hype with both these OAVs, yet many of us original fans were disappointed when the volumes were released. The series has so little to do with the original and I kept hoping that characters from the original series (especially with Macross) would make an appearance. I found it brief and lacking in the epic scale of the original. I also remember me questioning the subtitles on a few occasions as stated
here.

I didn't realize that it was directed by the same person who did both 0080 (one of my favorite Gundam series) and Double Vision (one of my favorite BGC episodes).
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Quite surprised that people DON'T like this! I was expecting the usual, "I remember this show fondly" posts!

While I enjoy the show on its own merits, I can understand the feelings of disappointment from fans of the original series. Conversely, I saw Orguss 02 first and was disappointed by the original. (Randall, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Orguss a bomb originally?)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
Huh, sounds like Bounen no Xamdou. Maybe I'll look into this some time -- although I'll probably get fansubs to supplement the DVD, if the dub isn't that great and the subtitles are bad.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... I remember trying to get into Orguss 02 but not feeling it. I was a fan of the original series (lighthearted but fun) and just felt too disconnected to get into the second. But if you say it's a good show Justin, I'll give it a try.

OTOH, even if you do a BT piece on Macross II someeday, there's no force on Earth that'll make me like that show. :p
ScottGreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:53 am Reply with quote
I agree that one of the noteworthy features of Orguss 02 was a surprisingly concrete look at politics. One of the few things I remember specifically about the anime is the small "R," republican sentiments expressed by the characters.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
jsevakis: Yeah, I was disappointed by Orguss 1, too, but some guy @ AOD who reviewed the R2 claimed it was just the dub which hurt it; and to some extent, he was right. But it's still a tad weak, if you see it right after Macross. I'd be surprised if it bombed, though, considering how many eps they cranked out of it; but then that would explain Ishiguro's struggle to get funding for Megazone.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
I did enjoy Orguss 02 although it had a very different vibe than the original (That I finally watched thanks to Justin and ImaginAsian Wink ), the politics were played better than the original (Earth not being a multi-dimensional patchwork did help a lot), and the action was ok, but seen Orguss mecha basically reduced mostly to walking tanks didn't click with me, it did work better than Macross II did with SDF Macross.

I don't know if the original Orguss bombed but it did finish it's run, and that's more than can be said for the final Super Dimension show... Southern Cross.

Last edited by Vicserr on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quite surprised that people DON'T like this! I was expecting the usual, "I remember this show fondly" posts!

While I enjoy the show on its own merits, I can understand the feelings of disappointment from fans of the original series. Conversely, I saw Orguss 02 first and was disappointed by the original.

Same here. I was delighted to see Orguss 02 get Buried Treasure status, because this is my favorite mecha anime of all time, period (and I've seen a good deal). Actually, what makes Orguss 02 stand out, I think, is that it's not about the mecha, it's about the characters. Lieutenant Manning is one of the most flavorful characters ever, a guy who seems evil at first but who you eventually can't help liking--he steals the show. The identity of the true villain doesn't become clear until two-thirds of the way through the show, which was extremely neat. I was awed by the overall quality (except for the dub in the first one or two episodes), after I bought a used VHS tape; now I've got all three VHS volumes plus the DVD--that's how much I liked it. I'm dismayed at the poor comments it has gotten here; how about checking out the reviews at:
http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/viewtitle.php?aid=658

Any fan of mecha anime should check out Orguss 02--you'll only be hurting yourself if you don't.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Correction: Any fan of anime, period, should check out Orguss 02.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3