• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-07-31]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Since the question specified "well-written", basically every new show I'm watching, Taishou Baseball Girls, Sora no Manimani, and GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class, don't really apply. It's all basically the same moé slice-of-life vignette comedy with cute high school girls that I've been watching the past few years, for fun and for the pleasant, slightly nostalgic atmosphere, not because I'm looking for sophisticated and nuanced storytelling with mindblowing plot twists.

Though Taishou Baseball Girls has more of a serialized story arc than most of the other slice-of-life stuff, so I guess it's the most well-written of the three by default.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Since the question specified "well-written", basically every new show I'm watching, Taishou Baseball Girls, Sora no Manimani, and GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class, don't really apply. It's all basically the same moé slice-of-life vignette comedy with cute high school girls that I've been watching the past few years, for fun and for the pleasant, slightly nostalgic atmosphere, not because I'm looking for sophisticated and nuanced storytelling with mindblowing plot twists.

Though Taishou Baseball Girls has more of a serialized story arc than most of the other slice-of-life stuff, so I guess it's the most well-written of the three by default.

Nonono - he means in your well-written view. In other words, write him a well-written review, not just a rambling fangasm about how TEH AWESOME THIS NEW SHO IS GAIZ!!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I guess I must have been really tired when I read the question last night because I honestly thought he was asking which show was the most well-written and I'm someone for whom, when it comes to modern anime series, the quality of the writing is really only secondary. Or... umm... third-ary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
I fully support a Big O movie because if a Big O movie got made, there would have to be an ending. A beautiful, wonderful, ending to that show. Not a total mindscrew.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
I think we've discussed it in a previous Answerman feedback thread, but there are considerable issues that would be difficult to convince an executive of including, specifically Minnie May's current age, much less how old she was at her...prior occupation.
Thanks for the reminder, I had a good chuckle with that one. Smile Now I know I've got something to ask Uwe Bull to do when I see him next year. Twisted Evil

mtotherow3 wrote:
I fully support a Big O movie because if a Big O movie got made, there would have to be an ending. A beautiful, wonderful, ending to that show. Not a total mindscrew.
You can thank Dark City for that. Rolling Eyes
RosaBatata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
RosaBatata wrote:
Israeli here, we currently have 2 stores who sell manga in English, these stores also sell anime and manga related products, but not many, as they are mainly comic stores. At the peak of the manga's popularity here (around 2 years ago) there were 4 stores, out of which 2 were only anime and manga related and sold a lot of related merchandise, one even sold anime. There have been a few mainstream series that were translated to Hebrew, and their volumes can be purchased at leading bookstores around the country.

That's very interesting information. What's the names of the stores and where are they located? Which manga have been translated in hebrew?

I've been looking for israeli anime and manga releases for some times now. I read somewhere that Card Captor Sakura had an israeli DVD release. Two years ago all I could find on my holidays were Howl's mooving castle and Chihiro on dvd. Last year I didn't find any manga in a medium sized-bookstore in a shopping mal near Caesarea. It seems like there's lots of children books and picture books in hebrew, but hardly any comics at all.

Both stores are of course located at Tel Aviv, the first is CNV- Comics and Vegetables, קומיקס וירקות, they sell Manga and comics in general for a fairly cheap price, you get 1 free volume for each 10 you buy as well. It's located at King George st. 40.
here is their site-
http://cnv.co.il/

Ah! I forgot! Just 2 weeks ago they opened another store in Ranana, which also sells manga! the address is Ahuza St. 125, you can get information on their site! That would mean there are now 3!

The other store is Comikaza, also in Tel Aviv. They have a wide selection, but are pretty expensive (you can get 5% off with their member card, which costs 15 nis- about 4 dollars). They are located at the Dizingof Center. It might be a bit hard to navigate if you don't know it, so try asking for directions inside if you can't find it.

http://www.comikaza.co.il/

Until a year or two ago there was a another store in Tel Aviv and another one in Rehovot, both of which specialized in ONLY anime and manga.

As for manga that was translated to Hebrew, I haven't seen any myself, but I know that the CCS manga was translated, and I heard about King of Hell and Warcraft manga sold in Stimatsky, I don't know in what language. A friend of mine knows more about the subject, I will try asking him in the near future.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
Quote:
s-CRY-ed with Michael Bay

I lol'd. It's so true.

whats funniest is that if this is insulting anyone...its really head to figure who...but i'm sure michael bay would happily direct a lesser Baldwin brother in the lead roll "no no, more camp! and can you add emphasis on the "exterminating!" part?""

anyway, i'm still amused by the tift between bay and megan fox, who basically had the gall to call TF2 what it is: a big dumb action movie. bay responded actually very well with a "it made a star of you, what do you want?" (paraphrasing of course).

anyway, summer anime I'm still catching up on my FMA manga and Brotherhood. i'm close to declaring FMA the pinacle of what a shonen series can do and rumiko takashi should go die in a fire.

fawhoosh!
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
For summer series three have captured my interest. I tried a few more but those didn't. However I'm still watching:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - It's basically like 10 Little Indians with a nasty witch / ghost thrown in, lots of murder and misdirection. Almost everyone in this series is thoroughly disagreeable and creepy, so all the deaths aren't really bothering me. And I have the feeling that those I like will turn out to be creepy as well. I wouldn't be able to take 26 eps of this, but I'll watch all 13 to find out what's going on.

Taishou Yakyuu Musume - This is show about the girls baseball team in the 20s. Even though a lot of the characters are stereotypical, they do bring the sensibilities of the time into play and that's what makes it interesting. Plus it's a relaxing show to watch.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - This has great animation. And, it has one of the most unlikeable leads ever, a teenage girl who is the epitome of the worst that teenage girls have to offer (hey, I was one once, so I know). But she is perfect in that she captures the essence of that self-centered time of life, and one of the things I like about the series is that we get to see her start to grow up and out of it. It reminds me of 12 Kingdoms in that I hated the heroine, but that extraordinary circumstances change us. The woman helping the children is not terribly realistic in that she's practically a saint, but ignoring that, it's a pretty good extrapolation of what might really happen.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
i'm close to declaring FMA the pinacle of what a shonen series can do

HELL. YEAH! There's a reason it's the only shounen series I follow at this point.

sunflower wrote:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - This has great animation. And, it has one of the most unlikeable leads ever, a teenage girl who is the epitome of the worst that teenage girls have to offer (hey, I was one once, so I know).

I think she's only 12 (but I'd have to double-check), and as for self-centered... she acts like it, and yet, when the earthquake hits, spoiler[the first thing she thinks of is her little brother, and then risks life and limb to find him.]
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - This has great animation. And, it has one of the most unlikeable leads ever, a teenage girl who is the epitome of the worst that teenage girls have to offer (hey, I was one once, so I know).

I think she's only 12 (but I'd have to double-check), and as for self-centered... she acts like it, and yet, when the earthquake hits, spoiler[the first thing she thinks of is her little brother, and then risks life and limb to find him.]

Well, yeah, like I said, it takes a major catastrophe to change her. :)
Peries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Saudi Otaku, try Virgin Megastore in Bahrain's City Center mall if you ever drive/fly there. They have a decent collection of anime that mostly comes in boxsets, at very reasonable prices as low as BD7 per boxset, all legal and licensed.

A good place for anime merchandise, models and figures, and manga would be Kuwait, although you'll find a bit of difficulty locating licensed releases there. If you don't mind pirated anime DVDs (which I don't advise, for quality and legality reasons), then the Kuwaiti DVD market is saturated with it.
REDOG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
You know brian, geographically speaking, the middle east the western part of asian continent.
Quote:

Swissman wrote:
RosaBatata wrote:
Israeli here, we currently have 2 stores who sell manga in English, these stores also sell anime and manga related products, but not many, as they are mainly comic stores. At the peak of the manga's popularity here (around 2 years ago) there were 4 stores, out of which 2 were only anime and manga related and sold a lot of related merchandise, one even sold anime. There have been a few mainstream series that were translated to Hebrew, and their volumes can be purchased at leading bookstores around the country.

That's very interesting information. What's the names of the stores and where are they located? Which manga have been translated in hebrew?

I've been looking for israeli anime and manga releases for some times now. I read somewhere that Card Captor Sakura had an israeli DVD release. Two years ago all I could find on my holidays were Howl's mooving castle and Chihiro on dvd. Last year I didn't find any manga in a medium sized-bookstore in a shopping mal near Caesarea. It seems like there's lots of children books and picture books in hebrew, but hardly any comics at all.

Both stores are of course located at Tel Aviv, the first is CNV- Comics and Vegetables, קומיקס וירקות, they sell Manga and comics in general for a fairly cheap price, you get 1 free volume for each 10 you buy as well. It's located at King George st. 40.
here is their site-

Ah! I forgot! Just 2 weeks ago they opened another store in Ranana, which also sells manga! the address is Ahuza St. 125, you can get information on their site! That would mean there are now 3!

The other store is Comikaza, also in Tel Aviv. They have a wide selection, but are pretty expensive (you can get 5% off with their member card, which costs 15 nis- about 4 dollars). They are located at the Dizingof Center. It might be a bit hard to navigate if you don't know it, so try asking for directions inside if you can't find it.

Until a year or two ago there was a another store in Tel Aviv and another one in Rehovot, both of which specialized in ONLY anime and manga.

As for manga that was translated to Hebrew, I haven't seen any myself, but I know that the CCS manga was translated, and I heard about King of Hell and Warcraft manga sold in Stimatsky, I don't know in what language. A friend of mine knows more about the subject, I will try asking him in the near future.

I don't know a lot about stores. But manga and anime has a bad reputation here. Mainly because what we broadcast on tv is popular shows aimed for kids but with "violent" inclinations (dragonball z, naruto, bleach etc etc, and many game shows (bakugan, yu gi oh gx)). The kids parents see it and think all anime is violent and unmature. And the young adults (20,30 etc) think that "cartoons is for kids". In that case we stuck in the eightees. Which is pretty premitive you know.
REDOG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
You know brian, geographically speaking, the middle east the western part of asian continent.
Quote:

Swissman wrote:
RosaBatata wrote:

here is their site-

I don't know a lot about stores. But manga and anime has a bad reputation here. Mainly because what we broadcast on tv is popular shows aimed for kids but with "violent" inclinations (dragonball z, naruto, bleach etc etc, and many game shows (bakugan, yu gi oh gx)). The kids parents see it and think all anime is violent and unmature. And the young adults (20,30 etc) think that "cartoons is for kids". In that case we stuck in the eightees. Which is pretty premitive you know.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
mtotherow3 wrote:

So you've never seen a David Lynch movie?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
A few thoughts on the article and discussionm that followed:

1. FlamingPinecone, Fullmetal Alchemist is brilliant, but it has nothing to do with Rumiko Talkahashi. I don't see what she's doing to take away from the success of Hiromu Arakawa or FMA. Her style is very different. So leave your hate for a relevant topic! *mad*

2. The Nolans+Death Note=Great movie waiting to happen! Smile

3. Baccano novels getting the translation treatment would improve the state of entertainment in the English-speaking world tenfold! Very Happy

4. I'd love to know more about Hebrew-language anime and manga. Besides CCS and Ghibli movies, what has been translated?

5. I was tickled pink whilst visiting an Iranian friend of mine who has Arabic and Persian sattelite channels, and watching an anime version of "The Little Princess" with her. She told me she grew up watching obviously Japan animated features, and I just had to wonder why that and other kid fare is available in the mid-east (and, presumably, Europe) but not the US...a question for a different Answerman, I suppose.

6. As for the first Q&A this week, I must admitt that wanting to be part of fan communities on various boards does affect my viewing habits considerably (particularly with long-running Shonen titles), and whether or not I actively keep up with an ongoing series. There is no shame to that once in a while, IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4