• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-07-31]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
My country is also one of those that get left out of the loop as far as anime is concerned, though it sounds as if we're at least a little better off than Saudi Arabia. There are some DVDs and manga available, but most of the time people watch fansubs (considering the fans I know are mostly students who cannot afford to import all the time).
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
Given all the anime on TV here, you'd think some start-up would try to get DVD licenses, but then I remember pirated DVDs are everywhere. Still, I think there's a market for English-subtitled & Tagalog-dubbed anime DVDs so we wouldn't have to stick to what's showing now. The collector's toy shops have plenty of anime goods.

Local anime DVD releases seem to be limited to a few movies here and there from major U.S. studios, with the glaring exception of the Disney-dubbed Miyazaki movies, since Asia outside Japan isn't covered by their licensing deal. Worth the import mark-up, but still, missed opportunity for local distributors (film and video).

Could always go nuts and start my own anime DVD business. Just need to figure out if I can at least break even.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
I kind of wanted to write in for this week's topic, (being a film freak,) but was on vacation and no time whatsoever to do it. Bummer. But, still, the "geeky and joyful" Lisa is spot-on all across the board. GREAT matchups there. JJ Abrams for Trigun never crossed my mind, but it's a PERFECT idea! Very Happy A lot of people mentioned Nolan for Death Note, too...which is weird, because while I can easily see Nolan making a Death Note movie, I would sooner match him up with more mature fare like Ghost in the Shell. He's known for Batman, sure, but Death Note's far more sophomoric and comic-booky than anything on his current resume. (He could still do the best Death Note movie ever simply because he is made of liquid awesome, but you know...)

THIS, though...

Quote:
George Lucas directing and screenwriting a 3x3 Eyes adaptation.

?!

I wouldn't wish that on ANY franchise! I haven't even seen 3x3 Eyes, but I wouldn't condemn it to such miserable agony! Lucas wrote the Star Wars prequels and...*quivers* Indiana Jones 4.

*shudders*

They weren't terrible, (maybe...maybe) but their scripts sure were!

Quote:
Would turn out much better than more recent adventure saga efforts we don't care to recollect.

No...no, you misunderstand, my friend. He's just a TERRIBLE writer and he should turn his ego down a few notches and hire screenwriters like he did before he attained unworthy godhood amongst those who never wash their Bantha cosplay. O_o
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Quote:
George Lucas directing and screenwriting a 3x3 Eyes adaptation.

?!

I wouldn't wish that on ANY franchise! I haven't even seen 3x3 Eyes, but I wouldn't condemn it to such miserable agony! Lucas wrote the Star Wars prequels and...*quivers* Indiana Jones 4.

*shudders*

They weren't terrible, (maybe...maybe) but their scripts sure were!

Umm, Indiana Jones 4's final scipt draft was written by David Koepp. (Although like most Hollywood scripts, lots of people got their hands on it at one point or another.) Lucas just wrote the story. Which, I believe, was many fans' problem with the movie.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Death Note is sophomoric? In what way? And how is it more childish than most incarnations of Batman?

What I love about Nolan is how he took a franchise that's usually treated as campy and made it feel really sophisticated. I remember watching Batman Begins and thinking "this doesn't feel like a comic book movie," midway through. If he could do that with an American adaptation of Death Note, I'd welcome it. A campy DN movie would be all too easy to make, but it would take away from the moral ambiguity and intellectual machinations of the series. Plus, it would suck. If I wanted to see a DN parody, I'd watch "Death Note: Abridged" on Youtube for the third time Wink

As for 3x3 Eyes, I just want the rest of the *manga* to come out in the States. Is that too much to ask? Sad
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="lancerusso"]
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
Pfft, Americans. My grammar and spelling is fine. Only the non-cronological bit.

No matter where you live, it's chronological.

I do believe that is called intentional irony and sarcasm. :p
Quote:

The problem is that irony and sarcasm are the hardest things to detect in a written statement.

Anyway, I have to figure that most if not all the cast will be back for more Inuyasha. As Brian pointed out, many of the people involved before are still at Ocean Group, and it's doubtful that any have moved on to bigger and better things. Some could be a bit hard to track down, which seems to be about the biggest reason to recast when it comes to anime, but the main cast at least is all but in the bag.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Death Note is sophomoric? In what way?

Because it pretends to be deep and introduces difficult moral dilemmas, but never actually makes anything of them, instead delving into the absurd lengths Light and L go through in their game of cat and mouse. The issue of whether Light is doing the right thing of murdering criminals is given a little attention early on, but mostly abandoned once he and L really start clashing.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Death Note is sophomoric? In what way?

The issue of whether Light is doing the right thing of murdering criminals is given a little attention early on, but mostly abandoned once he and L really start clashing.

The way I see it, the viewer is supposed to draw his own conclusions about whether Light is doing the right thing or not. It didn't feel to me like they abandoned this theme. The only time Death Note gave me the feeling that they started something they weren't going to finish was when it spoiler[put an end to Light and L's rivalry early on].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4