• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey Asks Which Anime That Fans Want on BD in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Except for more moe. And isn't that what we're seeing, this shift of quantity over quality in the anime market? The total number of anime series per titles is down, but the disproportion of moe anime outnumbering others is still prevalent for all to see.

Prevalent for all to see assuming you keep your eyes firmly closed.

If you do the slightest research into the matter you'd see that 'moe anime' is neither being made in disproportionate amounts, nor is it dominating what anime fans are watching or buying.

That's assuming you can scrape up an even moderately meaningful definition of "moe anime" beyond it being a mindless buzzword to describe shows with girls or big eyed characters.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
That's assuming you can scrape up an even moderately meaningful definition of "moe anime" beyond it being a mindless buzzword to describe shows with girls or big eyed characters.
In that case I welcome you to please enlighten us with your discovery about the true meaning and purpose behind "moe anime". By using critical literacy in order to present its cultural relevance, accessibility, artistic styles, and literacy mastery. Keep in mind that "moe" is only a Romanji of the Japanese Kanji of "萌", means "to sprout", or more precisely in the case of Japanese fictional literature "to make something out of nothing". When that nothing is the emotion you planted into a fictional character, not a real person.

Oh snap! Shocked
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprised Haruhi didn't make it to BD already! Considering how popular it is.

Ohh, I would kill to get my hands on BD versions of Clannad and Kanon!! Shocked
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Shepperoni wrote:
I'm suprised Haruhi didn't make it to BD already! Considering how popular it is.

Ohh, I would kill to get my hands on BD versions of Clannad and Kanon!! Shocked
That just means that despise their obvious popularity, fans of the series don't think that the labels deserve the HD Blu-ray treatment, when they think they're good enough as is. Or it could also be that their popularity was just hypes with no real significant.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Is Macross DYRL on BD?
Because that would be my #1 pick.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably buy a complete Haruhi Suzumiya season 1 and 2 BluRay set if and when it's released in North America, which'll be a while, if ever, but I don't have a BluRay player yet so it's moot.

Also, a North American thinpack re-release of Kamichu! on BluRay would be a definite purchase for me, since that series was almost as visually luscious as a Ghibli film.

I enjoy Aria, but I don't know if it would make the transitiion to high-resolution that well, since it was animated "full-screen" and has a lot of those just-a-bit-too-smooth digital animation "pans".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Clannad in BD please. Best KyoAni work(hell, the series of decade) would be gorgeous.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Anything with video is made better by better video quality. Anything that is audio is improved by better audio quality.

.. and anything without a story is made better becuase you are too busy drooling over the shinies and clear sounds. <-- Not sarcasm, I just love HD and find myself watching terrible movies & thinking "well, this sucks, but it sure is pretty."
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Onizuka666 wrote:
Frankly, I don't see the point in pushing them on Blu Ray. Anime fans want their series at reasonable prices, and even for a normal film, prices are still too steep. On top of that these series are small.

This is Japan. Otaku tend to want the best quality possible. Also, DVDs are already expensive there so what's another 1000 yen per BD.

Draneor is right. What Japanese fans want is different from western fans'.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Movies would seem to me the obvious choices for BD first.

...though I don't supposed Gankutsuou was done in HD, was it? That series is gorgeous enough as is, in high-definition I think my heart would burst from the splendor, so maybe it's best left as is.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
I'm actually not surprised that Zegapain is on top of the list. Even on DVD, the visuals are outstanding. They would look fantastic in HD. I don't know how popular Zega was in Japan(personally, I love the show), but maybe the people who voted were only thinking of the visuals when deciding.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I'd love TTGL and KnK in HD, definitely (Bounen no Xamdou would round out my top 3 for Blu ray). Haruhi I wouldn't mind either, or VC for that matter. Clannad, Aria and Simoun probably wouldn't benefit much from HD in my eyes, and the others I'm not really interested in.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Surprised and kinda glad that Cyber Formula, an old handdrawn anime by the now infamous director of Gundam Seed Destiny actually made the list. Decent story, and the racing visuals will probably look really good in HD but I suspect clean up will be needed...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
cyber formula. that show is one of my all time favorites Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
kyoukix wrote:
Surprising to discover that someone actually wants Haruhi Suzumiya in bluray after the “renewal” fiasco. However, note that is actually at #10 and by no means in the “top 5” or “top 3” it was when it was released on DVD 2 years ago…

Also I was disappointed to not see any vintage anime and almost none mecha in the survey :(

After Endless eight and the three year wait, I am also surprized there are still large amount of people who want this series re-done in Blu-ray.

Don't take this the wrong way, but most(not all) of those series are reltively new. I much rather see an older series such as Ranma 1/2 or Rurouni Kenshin get the Blu-Ray treatment instead of some of the newer series.

Despite the fact Toradora is a excpetional series, but the series is still rather new. I wouldn't mind watching this series in Blu-Ray, but because the series ended in 2009, I can't imagine there would be much of difference.

Also, the lack of shonen shows is very disapointing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4