• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Madoka Magica Show Considered After 3rd Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:
I thought this show was vastly overrated and over-marketed enough as it was. Is this money really going back into 'anime' or to the merchandise and publishing companies?

Given the amount of suspicion this franchise has raised on 2ch and beyond, I wouldn't bank on the idea that buying more DVDs is going to make the industry any stronger or the quality any higher, I think someone is playing the sustain game.

Of course it goes back to the animation company. That is largely how they find future project these days.

And what is so bad about earning money on creative craft?
People should not treat these companies as ivory tower tycoons. Especially not SHAFT, the budget anime company.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm cool with this Very Happy
terminus24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm for this, the original was great, and I don't see anything wrong with them wanting to make more of a good and successful series, especially since the spinoffs were so good, and Kazumi is already longer than Madoka and still going (and it's better than the Madoka manga, IMO).
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
punipuniwarrior wrote:
I thought this show was vastly overrated and over-marketed enough as it was. Is this money really going back into 'anime' or to the merchandise and publishing companies?

Given the amount of suspicion this franchise has raised on 2ch and beyond, I wouldn't bank on the idea that buying more DVDs is going to make the industry any stronger or the quality any higher, I think someone is playing the sustain game.

Of course it goes back to the animation company. That is largely how they find future project these days.

And what is so bad about earning money on creative craft?
People should not treat these companies as ivory tower tycoons. Especially not SHAFT, the budget anime company.

You don't know anything about the Shaft/Aniplex thing that's been going on for the past year do you? Hint: Go and find the reason as to why Open2ch was started earlier this year.
Tim Buckley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
More Madoka is always cool, I see no problem.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now it's getting a little ridiculous...
Babel Secondorph

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
as long as they break away from the first set of characters and maybe make some new ones...

they have a lot of potential within the setting, a new city and some new people would work wonders.
sukochi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
2cours shouldn't be condemned. Too few shows these do that and end up feeling rushed. Madoka turned out well, but it definitely felt a tad rushed at spots.

Also, the story could and should revolve around other girls or even another timeline or even other eras in time.

In the cuttroat anime industry, they deserve to have a show they can build some hype around. I'll give them full leeway to entertain. Stuff like Steins;Gate had the luxury of 2 cours and so did awesome, ubdrappreciated shows like Nichijou. Though I just wish more shows in general are supported by anime fans.

RUSHED?!? LOL you have no idea how rushed it was! LOL The schedule was ridiculous enough whilst doing the series, let alone the movie! As good as it turned out.....it would have been nice to have had a little more time
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I am skeptical, but I'll wait and see before passing judgement.

But why the heck is this in a sports publication of all places?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well looks like fans got their wish. I'm often skeptical about new spin off shows but I'm willing to give it a chance. I enjoyed the first show though I'm not ga ga over it like some. But hopefully with the right direction they could produce and interesting show. And yes, they are milking it, you can't deny it because it's a success and the fans prayers have been answered that means more goods to sell. It's a business. But I doubt Madoka will have the godliness that Evangelion has.
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
THE RIDE NEVER ENDS

How many iterations of Madoka will it take for Urobuchi to refill his Suffering Gem?
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
But why the heck is this in a sports publication of all places?

It sounds weird, but Madoka has been all over because its popularity, surprisingly, reaches beyond the "niche" market it aimed for and has goten a bunch of mainstream and live-action drama fans to watch it in Japan.

As for me, I agree completely with nightjuan. If you don't continue it, it's basically saying you are so confident in yourself, you believe you can make a hit every season (to keep your sales at a good number to survive). I don't think anyone in the business would, in their right mind, think that. So "milking" it as a franchise is the most efficient way to go. And, of course, you can expand upon the hypothetical if you wish. On the other hand, the more you delve further into the world, the more you risk either making inconsistencies, overriding some of your previous experiences of the first series, and/or having a split fanbase for different parts of the series--all that could destroy the reputation of the series.

On that note, though, I like Urobuchi's thinking. Madoka was a big part of his career, as not only did it open him up to new ventures in the industry, but it also gave him a bit of personal hope in his own way of thinking (according to himself). And I'm sure he would love to keep writing for it. But there's only so much one creator can think of before one runs out of ideas and motives for making a series. And I don't really mean actually running out of ideas. In Urobuchi's case, he made a statement with Madoka about himself and his own way of thinking. However, now that that statement is out there... what else can he do? If he has another statement to make, I'm sure he'll jump at the opportunity, but if they just ask him to write something because they need to keep releasing stuff, I don't see him being able to justify to himself that it isn't a waste of time. From what I've seen, that's just not like him. He'd rather try and make something good every time, with something new to add, as is his pride in his work. Expanding upon his own stuff beyond what he intended is just not his forte.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
Too early for me to be anything but cautiously curious. I think nightjuan really hit the nail on the head about how people will react to whatever it turns out to be.

Madokaverse has potential to have some interesting growth, but whatever a second season turns out to be, it won't be what made the original so fun; it can't be, honestly...at least, I can't see how it could be.

I can think of several directions they could take a second season (spoiler[more focus on alternate timelines, totally different cast set before the first season, totally different cast set after the first season, same cast set after the first season, totally different cast set during the first season timeline, Kyubey and Incubators' Excellent Adventure IN SPACE, etc.]) and none of them strike me as "bad ideas" but all of them are unarguably not going to be able to do what the first season did (unless they go super over-the-top-jinrui-manga-arc mode, which I'm pretty confident they won't)... which is fine, it just means the writer(s) will have a different kind of challenge: putting together an interesting story in the Madokaverse framework (which the audience will now know all about, which is the key difference from season one) that actually takes advantage of that setting.

I don't want a second season of Madoka to have a story that could be copypasta'd into any other setting and work just as well--whatever the story is, it needs to capitalize on what the first season set up or else it might as well not exist.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Oooh Veers makes some excellent points. Yes, endless possibilities. Very interesting to see.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I hope they go along with it. I'd love to see some more of the Madoka-verse. Maybe some more light-hearted moments too. The original got depressing quite fast. Sad
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3