Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Queen's Blade Nanael


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GordanHam



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 151
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Haha. your reviews are the best. I just finally opened my Reina figure and found something pretty interesting you could do with the cast-off:
http://gordanham.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/wandering-warrior-miku/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I just got my Queen's Blade Aludra figure today from my friend who was studying in Japan. It's great, very complex and extremely detailed. MegaHouse totally knows what they doing as far as making these figures, I highly recommended getting your hands on whatever you can. And doing it the way I did was like 30-40 dollars cheaper than shipping it, just make sure you got a good friend with room to spare. He also picked up the Bandai Villetta Nu and Good Smile Company Horo. A very good haul, certainly better than what I could have found at AFO

I did have the option of getting that exact MegaHouse Nanael for like 3000 yen, but I passed it up in favor of the others. I didn't like her character or her voice actress. I also don't understand this attitude against figures that get naked. There's so many of them out there, and it only makes it more of a challenge for the sculptor, meaning it should be a higher quality of figure. Some of the most complex figures I've seen have been cast-off ones. Hell, the Nanael is tame compared to what I got, and what I want: the Cattleya figures.


Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rolando_jose



Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 238
Location: Ahhhh it's vacation time again!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who was hoping for a real cool pct with the Krauser in it? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lonecow



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 52
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I love the hypocrisy with fanboys (and fangirls). I wonder how many Yoko figures he has with her legs spread wide open or Kusanagi spilling out of her one piece outfit and somehow thinks that makes him not a perv. Just because her top comes off he has to give a three paragraph disclaimer on how the show is ruining anime as we know it.

Most fangirls go nuts over two bare chested vampire boys making out, but are the first to condemn something like Queen's Blade.

Get over yourselves. It's all just stuff. If you really want to blame Queen's Blade then look at your shelf of figures of women in degrading poses with their naughty bits hanging out and ask yourself why in the world would producers want to make a show about THAT VERY THING.

Hypocrites the lot of you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HJSoulma



Joined: 06 May 2009
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
I love the hypocrisy with fanboys (and fangirls). I wonder how many Yoko figures he has with her legs spread wide open or Kusanagi spilling out of her one piece outfit and somehow thinks that makes him not a perv. Just because her top comes off he has to give a three paragraph disclaimer on how the show is ruining anime as we know it.

Most fangirls go nuts over two bare chested vampire boys making out, but are the first to condemn something like Queen's Blade.

Get over yourselves. It's all just stuff. If you really want to blame Queen's Blade then look at your shelf of figures of women in degrading poses with their naughty bits hanging out and ask yourself why in the world would producers want to make a show about THAT VERY THING.

Hypocrites the lot of you.



*raises hand*

I just think everyone needs to get over nudity/sexuality in general. We're all too uptight, and I don't mean that in an everybody-get-naked-and-have-an-orgy way. I just think we need to remember that, much as we may love anime, it doesn't mean Queen's Blade boobies or yaoi vampire boys are any less cartoons created for entertainment purposes. So her boobies are visible-- half the population has them. It doesn't mean I have any desire to watch Queen's Blade, and I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to like everything, but a little tolerance on all sides would make everyone a lot happier.

As for you, Lonecow, you're making generalizations as wide as you're accusing Rob of making. Do you *know* he has shelves of spread-eagled Yohko? Have you been to his house? And as for the fangirls comment, first off, *I'm* into yaoi, and I have no problem with Queen's Blade, so clearly not all fangirls take issue with breasts (ZOMG! I've got some of my own! They don't scare me!), and secondly, it works both ways-- how many stereotypical heterosexual males do you know who smile and nod and passively accept the existence of slash? We all have things that we like, and we all have things that freak us out-- but that doesn't mean we should take the initiative to judge and become argumentative. On something so trivial as animated nudity, sometimes the best way to deal is to sit back and keep your mouth shut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quark



Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 709
Location: British Columbia, Canada
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
I love the hypocrisy with fanboys (and fangirls). I wonder how many Yoko figures he has with her legs spread wide open or Kusanagi spilling out of her one piece outfit and somehow thinks that makes him not a perv. Just because her top comes off he has to give a three paragraph disclaimer on how the show is ruining anime as we know it.

Most fangirls go nuts over two bare chested vampire boys making out, but are the first to condemn something like Queen's Blade.

Get over yourselves. It's all just stuff. If you really want to blame Queen's Blade then look at your shelf of figures of women in degrading poses with their naughty bits hanging out and ask yourself why in the world would producers want to make a show about THAT VERY THING.

Hypocrites the lot of you.


Speaking for myself personally, I've got absolutely no problem with nudity, as long as it's tasteful. So, myself, I would have no issue buying a nudie anime figure, just so long as it's not overly sexual. Meaning, a sexy pose is fine, but if she was spread-eagled, or you could see her...er...interior bits, that's where I draw the line.
However, regarding Queens Blade, I simply choose not to watch it because I've got no interest in a woman spraying acid milk out of her breasts. As a woman, I find it demeaning. But...I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's ruining anime. If that's what the fans want, well, I can't blame the anime companies for delivering. I simply choose to not watch it.
But I do agree, I don't get why having a figure of an anime girl in a skimpy outfit is okay, but once her clothes have the option of coming off, it's suddenly perverted and wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Lonecow



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 52
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I was making wide sweeping generalizations for effect. Of course my comments don't apply to everyone.

Rob on the other hand I know has talked positively about some sexy posed figure and thought it was fine, but as soon as her top comes off he is all, "Sick! Sick! Sick!" That was what I was mostly pointing out. I have no clue what is in his personal collection.

Also not to defent Queen's Blade too much because I do realize what it is. But at least it revels in what it is. It doesn't make it an inferior work. A lot of people will gladly say they are fans of Ikki Tousen, which is just as bad with the pandering nudity, but because it has some semblance of a plot, people give it a pass.

Personally I find Ikki tousen unwatchable because the main character is brain dead and all the other girls are simple palate swaps with no depth. One thing you CAN say for Queen's Blade is that while the plot is virtually nonexistant, the characters are different and have different motivations. Watch Ikki tousen and tell me why the hell all these school girls are fighting. Because they have the soul of ancient chinese warriors? Oooookayyyy..... So what?

Anyway, I'm from the school of thought that everything has it's place. I'll watch Queen's Blade the same way I'll watch a Grindhouse flick.

And in many ways there are very similar things happening in anime right now compared to the 70s for film. The 70s were the movie industry's "nervous breakdown" so everything that could have been made got made, until it found it's footing again. Same thing is going on right now. I lot of weird stuff is getting made just so they can see what sticks. It doesn't mean it is being ruined, it's just trying to find itself.

As an observer I find it simply amazing that an animated show with nudity and implied lesbianism is running at 8. That isn't disturbing, that is groundbreaking people. Same thing with Haruhi and this Endless Eight. How is that happening? How are advertisors allowing this to happen? All part of the great Anime Nervous Breakdown. Sit back and enjoy the show. Because it will all end with something revolutionary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unholy_Nny



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 622
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
I love the hypocrisy with fanboys (and fangirls). I wonder how many Yoko figures he has with her legs spread wide open or Kusanagi spilling out of her one piece outfit and somehow thinks that makes him not a perv. Just because her top comes off he has to give a three paragraph disclaimer on how the show is ruining anime as we know it.

Most fangirls go nuts over two bare chested vampire boys making out, but are the first to condemn something like Queen's Blade.

Get over yourselves. It's all just stuff. If you really want to blame Queen's Blade then look at your shelf of figures of women in degrading poses with their naughty bits hanging out and ask yourself why in the world would producers want to make a show about THAT VERY THING.

Hypocrites the lot of you.


Not speaking for the figures, but for the show...

Having a healthy dose of fanservice in an otherwise good show is way different than using heavy doses of fanservice as a vehicle to drive an otherwise not-good show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3468
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
Rob on the other hand I know has talked positively about some sexy posed figure and thought it was fine, but as soon as her top comes off he is all, "Sick! Sick! Sick!" That was what I was mostly pointing out. I have no clue what is in his personal collection.


Everyone has to have standards, and lines they won't cross. His is clearly overt nudity. So long as he's consistent on it, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
jenthehen



Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 809
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the male anime news network reviewers seem to be prudes, while the female ones are like HELLZ YES IKKI TOUSEN!?!

lol ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2090
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And man, if you don't think the whole Queen's Blade phenomenon isn't a result of the anime industry going down the toilet, and being so desperate for cash they've just resorted to airing soft-core in primetime — then… then you're wrong. The fact that it's working doesn't change this a bit.

I think Queen's Blade would've been successful, toilet or no toilet. The economic situation merely helped enable it. In a boom, the franchise would've made two metric ass-tons of money instead of the one it's getting now.

If this is what you said, just re-worded, then forgive me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
therealssjlink



Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 118
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or you could go to a strip club and see real breasts for a $10 cover or so. Your call.


Silicon isn't real either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3468
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the male anime news network reviewers seem to be prudes, while the female ones are like HELLZ YES IKKI TOUSEN!?!

lol ...


I have a feeling if they'd handed it to Ms. Brienza, the review would be rather different than Bamboo's...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
And man, if you don't think the whole Queen's Blade phenomenon isn't a result of the anime industry going down the toilet, and being so desperate for cash they've just resorted to airing soft-core in primetime — then… then you're wrong. The fact that it's working doesn't change this a bit.

I think Queen's Blade would've been successful, toilet or no toilet. The economic situation merely helped enable it. In a boom, the franchise would've made two metric ass-tons of money instead of the one it's getting now.

If this is what you said, just re-worded, then forgive me.


The other aspect is that pretty much most of the figs have been in production and on sale well before the show was on TV, years for some. The series was only because the franchise was big enough to warrant it being made, and even if anime was going strong, what's stopping shows like this being made? It's not the only shows in 1999 were Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Crest of the Stars. I'm sure there was crap that was popular then, as it is now. Anime, highly intellectual I READ THE ECONOMIST AND SMOKE CORN-COB PIPES MM YES QUITE, and lol look at dem tittays dey sure is funnay hyuck hyuck, have always co-existed and always will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DomFortress



Joined: 13 Feb 2009
Posts: 751
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
As an observer I find it simply amazing that an animated show with nudity and implied lesbianism is running at 8. That isn't disturbing, that is groundbreaking people. Same thing with Haruhi and this Endless Eight. How is that happening? How are advertisors allowing this to happen? All part of the great Anime Nervous Breakdown. Sit back and enjoy the show. Because it will all end with something revolutionary.
So you're saying that both the Japanese anime industry along with its fandom are acting up like this because they're both mentally unstable? Well then is it possible that their mentalities were due to the very anime medias and related products that they produce and consume, or could it be the other way around?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group