• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Entertainment Reportedly Puts Itself Up for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I can see viz doing this for the shonen propeties they have.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
i hope some one picks up Tokyo Mew Mew, Shaman King
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Funimation already has a lot on its plate. They have a lot of acquisitions in the works already, and have rescued various shows from ADV and have distributed many Geneon titles. I don't think it would be a smart move to pick up 4Kids, especially since they would have to redub many of their series, which would cost a lot of money, to please the fans. I would think that instead of buying the company, Funimation would try to get the license to a popular older show that is guarenteed to sell well, like Card Captor Sakura, if they ever become available.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I know that they have a strained relationship with Fox right now... but why do I have the feeling that they would be bought by News Corp... I pray that doesn't happen and might be very unlikely but who knows...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
VLOXY wrote:
Current stock price $1.95.

A little perspective there:

4Kids
Stock price: $1.95
Market capitalization: $25.79M

Navarre (Funimation's owner)
Stock price: $1.78
Market capitalization: $64.54M

I don't know much about the stock market, but...
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Uncut Yugi-oh would do DBZ numbers no doubt.

Best joke I've heard all day.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
i hope some one picks up Tokyo Mew Mew, Shaman King

Those can already be picked, as 4Kids no longer holds the license to them.

Anyway, this is just an unconfirmed rumor at best. Only one source has published it, and 4Kids themselves is calling it a rumor.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Uncut Yugi-oh would do DBZ numbers no doubt.

Best joke I've heard all day.
Actually, you'd be quite surprised. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! series is still extremely popular, and having a well-done, uncut version will probably do a lot better now than it would've done back when it aired with the edited version.

Anyway, this is only a rumor right now, so let's not lose our heads over this, all right? However, if a company was to buy this, I would say that Funimation would be the better bet for the job. Although, some titles, I will say, may be better off going to other companies like Bandai, ADV, etc. My example will be Cardcaptor Sakura. If, for any reason a re-dub never comes to pass but we can at least see a re-release of the uncut subtitled DVDs, then I'd love to see ADV or Bandai get it since they have already dealt with sub-only releases and have done pretty darn good jobs with them from what I can see. Now, when it comes to Tokyo Mew Mew or Shaman King, yes, I'd rather see these titles go to Funimation for the sake of getting a proper re-dub and/or re-release (personally, I actually liked the 4Kids dub of Shaman King for the most part, and even the OP wasn't half bad).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Hey FUNimation. Do us a favour and buy 4Kids Entertainment, will ya?

Kthnx. Smile

Actually I don't want to see FUNimation pick up 4kids. They just got rid of a bunch of there debt and are doing quite well right now. With there liquidity rising, an absolute marvelous thing to be doing in a recession, I would rather them not get bogged down in a buy out which shaky at best.

Psycho 101 wrote:
They are already possibly stretching themselves too thin with too many new titles and titles they've saved from other companies. They are still easily the company doing the best right now in the R1 market but they are IMO getting a bit close to the line between healthy and over stretched.

Have you seen the most recent quarterly report? Their doing quite well. If you had said this one year ago then I would agree. But they are doing absolutely gangbusters compared to back then. But obviously I agree with your overall point, I don't want to see them pick up 4kids.

I think 4kids should just do what they have promised to do several times, and that's staying out of anime. And that goes for whoever buys them as well. It won't matter they will never shake the image they currently have. If they do get bought they should change their name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
*in true Nelson fashion* HAHA!! lol, but seriously FUNi/Navarre getting them does seem to be a bit of a stretch... as others have said they have too much on their plate and why bother with titles that've far out lasted their North American life, sad to say but I don't see much good coming to any of the properties with all the declines and whatnot (hell, I don't even buy anime anymore... if that's saying anything... I'm more of a speculative fan these days)
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Actually, you'd be quite surprised. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! series is still extremely popular, and having a well-done, uncut version will probably do a lot better now than it would've done back when it aired with the edited version.

Doesn't mean it'll ever do DBZ numbers. One Piece endured a lot when 4Kids had the series, yet was a very popular show. But now that it has a proper, uncut version available, it still isn't doing DBZ numbers. It's doing very well, sure. But definitely not DBZ numbers.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
4kids... I guess if they wanted to survive they should've changed their name long ago since kids nowadays like horror movies better than animes.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably in the minority here but..

someone save Ojamajo Doremi! D:
Sonic X too!
(Shaman King and MewMew would be nice as well)

hm, actually :/ since Sonic X still makes fair enough ratings (it's been on re-runs for a good 4 or 5 years now) as bad as that show is. and it's attached to a big sponsor (Sega) I think that one will be ok :/ Sega does have the habit of squeezing every last penny out of the Sonic franchise after all
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Doesn't mean it'll ever do DBZ numbers. One Piece endured a lot when 4Kids had the series, yet was a very popular show. But now that it has a proper, uncut version available, it still isn't doing DBZ numbers. It's doing very well, sure. But definitely not DBZ numbers.

One Piece and Yu Gi Oh are in completely different leagues when it comes to US popularity. Yu Gi Oh was easily as popular as Pokemon and DBZ, and if they re release it uncut in sets, the fans who grew up with the original YGO series and are older now will snatch it up like hotcakes. Just like DBZ fans.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what will happen to Sonic X. I know lots of people didn't like it, but I'm the like-whatever-is-put-in-front-of-her type...

I hope this is true!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6