• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Entertainment Reportedly Puts Itself Up for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I think 4kids should just do what they have promised to do several times, and that's staying out of anime. And that goes for whoever buys them as well. It won't matter they will never shake the image they currently have. If they do get bought they should change their name.

Call me ignorant, but what does 4Kids do outside of the anime market? I only know them for anime and the 4Kids Network block that also airs anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
i hope some one picks up Tokyo Mew Mew, Shaman King

Those can already be picked, as 4Kids no longer holds the license to them.

Anyway, this is just an unconfirmed rumor at best. Only one source has published it, and 4Kids themselves is calling it a rumor.

Quote:
Its current properties include Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King, and Dinosaur King from Japan, as well as the card-game-based Chaotic franchise from Denmark

THey do still hold the license to Shaman King.

There is the Funi connection that Funi released the 2 uncut Shaman King & YuGiOh, but they're older titles now. Yes, there are many Shaman King fans who would love it uncut & I'd love YuGiOh uncut, but at this time, I'm thinking there isn't that much interest in either title to justify bringing back the old cast to do an uncut dub (as they were doing for 5 seconds). I could see a cut-rate subtitled version uncut (sets & not the 3-4 eps Geneon gave us per dvd of uncut/subbed CCS).
They could even do the interesting trick Bandai did with Ronin Warriors where one side is subbed & one dubbed, but there's always MB's seperate releases of Tekkaman Blade. I would but Shaman King in that style, but 4Kids has already released YuGiOh cut & these mommies & daddies everyone is talking about shouldn't want to buy uncut anime for their babies. The babies themselves, having grown old enough to hold jobs of their own buying them is another matter.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh, despite what ANN says, 4Kids doesn't have Shaman King anymore, at least in America. It's not listed on either their corporate site (4Kidsent.com) or kids site (4Kids.tv).

RogueJedi86 wrote:
Call me ignorant, but what does 4Kids do outside of the anime market? I only know them for anime and the 4Kids Network block that also airs anime.

They make their own English shows (TMNT, Chaotic), dub other foreign cartoons (GoGoRiki, Winx Club), and air other shows from different companies (Huntik, RollBots, Kamen Rider).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Actually, you'd be quite surprised. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! series is still extremely popular, and having a well-done, uncut version will probably do a lot better now than it would've done back when it aired with the edited version.

Perhaps you'd be quite surprised to learn that Funimation already tried releasing uncut subtitled Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King DVDs around 4 years ago and they both failed miserably at the market and got canned after 2 or 3 volumes each.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
You know what would rock?

If FUNi ate the bastards, tore them apart, and then started releasing One Piece-style redubbed versions of the big series they butchered.

It'd be interesting to see what kind of effect widely-available uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! (imagine 5D's uncut from here on out!) would have on the TCG...
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah 4Kids. Times are hard especially for TV shows. Definitely for Anime on TV. Some may not appreciate what you try to do but I feel you were a necessary evil. You may have gotten ahead of the pack when you gave us Pokemon and Yugioh, which I have to admit enjoyed, which help foster my wanting to seek out the source material, but you were too late to evolve too.

Reaching and spreading anime to the kiddies and keeping the tradition of Animericanizing anime is nice and really mainstream viewers didn't have a problem with it. But times have changed: the opportunity to keep those kids have shorten and word of mouth that source materials, ie uncut stuff, took some out of you too. Not chancing into the older demographic hurt, not to mention improving opinions about your company as a licenser of anime with less edits to particular series, and not being able to find the replacement golden eggs of Pokemon and Yugioh were killers. We thank you for what you did for anime to help it along its way. Even if others won't miss you for what you've done for us in the Anime Community. Or too us depending on how you look at it.
jonindarkrai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Funamation buy 4kids. Also buy pokemon while your at it LOL
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
jonindarkrai wrote:
Funamation buy 4kids. Also buy pokemon while your at it LOL

Nintendo got the rights to the Pokemon anime a few years back. 4Kids hasn't owned or dubbed Pokemon in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Open to bids, eh?

I'm starting mine at $0.03. Let's hope no one snipes me at the last minute.

If FUNimation bought 4Kids, think they'd rename themselves as "Fun4Kids"? Ha. Wouldn't that be cute.

At any rate, I didn't think 4Kids was still around. I'd be curious if they're dumping themselves off due to the rumblings of the FCC looking at ad targeting towards kids again.

Crap. Someone just outbid me by $0.01. Time to up my offer to $0.07.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Have any of you who are saying "Funi buy 4Kids!" ever looked at the back of a 4Kids DVD? In small print on the bottom, there is a Funimation logo on every Yu-Gi-Oh DVD I've ever seen...Wonder why? Funi already has their hands in 4Kids, they just do it as their TV-Y8 division...Yeah, they'll never come out and say it, but Funi and 4Kids go way back...So basically, 4Kids didn't really "drop" One Piece, they shuffled it to a different branch of the company!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Actually, you'd be quite surprised. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! series is still extremely popular, and having a well-done, uncut version will probably do a lot better now than it would've done back when it aired with the edited version.

Perhaps you'd be quite surprised to learn that Funimation already tried releasing uncut subtitled Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King DVDs around 4 years ago and they both failed miserably at the market and got canned after 2 or 3 volumes each.

I don't think we've ever gotten any indication as to how well those uncut DVDs did, since I think we got multiple messages throught history (they failed, they did OK, they did as well as the edited DVDs and 4Kids didn't want their edited DVDs to compete with the uncut DVDs, etc.). When it comes to 4Kids it's not surprising to get multiple messages.

Also, those 4Kids uncut DVDs were not the best releases either, what with dubtitles, uncut dubs that weren't as good as the edited dubs, not quite "uncutting" them (Yu-Gi-Oh!'s uncut dub still used the edited character names, for example), and let's not forget having only 3 episodes on each DVD for shows that would normally have gotten 5 episodes each. I think some people just wanted a better product with those uncut DVDs, not like they had a choice though, and ecided to not get them. And I think FUNImation even said at point that the uncut 4Kids DVDs were canceled more because 4Kids told them that they would stop, regardless of sales.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Psycho 101 wrote:
They are already possibly stretching themselves too thin with too many new titles and titles they've saved from other companies. They are still easily the company doing the best right now in the R1 market but they are IMO getting a bit close to the line between healthy and over stretched.

Have you seen the most recent quarterly report? Their doing quite well. If you had said this one year ago then I would agree. But they are doing absolutely gangbusters compared to back then. But obviously I agree with your overall point, I don't want to see them pick up 4kids.

I think 4kids should just do what they have promised to do several times, and that's staying out of anime. And that goes for whoever buys them as well. It won't matter they will never shake the image they currently have. If they do get bought they should change their name.

Ya know ADV was doing damn well too....until their little bubble went pop. It's a fine line from being very successful and having that bubble burst on you. When it bursts it bursts quickly. Look how quickly ADV went from being the largest distributor and voice in the R1 industry to almost non-existent anymore with new releases.Yes they are doing quite well now and they are IMHO at the pinnacle of what they should acquire and do to ensure they stay where they are at and not over reach and watch the house built on sand come tumbling down. If that happens to them....well kiss the R1 market goodbye at this point.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
so let me get this straight,so basically 4kids are finnaly throwing in the towel?

if this turns out similar to what happened to Saban when disney bought all they property,than I hope funimation buys all of 4kids and make it better,or better yet merge with 4kids.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
someone save Ojamajo Doremi! D:
Sonic X too!
(Shaman King and MewMew would be nice as well)

Holy cow! Thanks for reminding me! I completely forgot about Ojamajo Doremi! Someone save that and Tokyo Mew Mew!!! And give them decent English dubs OR A DVD RELEASE!!! Very Happy

Quote:
Ya know ADV was doing damn well too....until their little bubble went pop. It's a fine line from being very successful and having that bubble burst on you. When it bursts it bursts quickly. Look how quickly ADV went from being the largest distributor and voice in the R1 industry to almost non-existent anymore with new releases.Yes they are doing quite well now and they are IMHO at the pinnacle of what they should acquire and do to ensure they stay where they are at and not over reach and watch the house built on sand come tumbling down. If that happens to them....well kiss the R1 market goodbye at this point.

Of course, companies like Geneon and Central Park Media already went bankrupt and died (even though I have a majority of Geneon DVDs and none from CPM), so let's hope the other ones survive the stupid economy (including New Galaxy Anime which was SUPPOSED TO RELEASE UNICO BY NOW!!!)!

Last edited by FireChick on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
CCSYueh, despite what ANN says, 4Kids doesn't have Shaman King anymore, at least in America. It's not listed on either their corporate site (4Kidsent.com) or kids site (4Kids.tv).

As of the first quarter of 2009, 4Kids still receives domestic licensing revenues from Shaman King.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/136973-4-kids-entertainment-inc-q1-2009-earnings-call-transcript
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6