• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Entertainment Reportedly Puts Itself Up for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
someone save Ojamajo Doremi! D:
Sonic X too!
(Shaman King and MewMew would be nice as well)

Holy cow! Thanks for reminding me! I completely forgot about Ojamajo Doremi! Someone save that and Tokyo Mew Mew!!! And give them decent English dubs OR A DVD RELEASE!!! Very Happy

that would be awsome,however,problem is,4kids's licensed to tokyo mew mew expired long ago while they still hold rights to ojama doremi

the 4kids tv game station site no longer display Tokyo mew mew (Or mew mew power) on they're site anymore,however they're site still plays new dub episodes of Ojama doremi despite the fact that they newer aired the new episodes on 4kids tv ( i think)

I would love to see an uncut dub of Kinnikuman Nisei (Ultimate muscle) although i did like the 4kids though,which was one of they're better dubbed animes.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully no one picks up Kirby. It wouldn't be a wise investment, since people wouldn't really be interested in it. Also Chaotic...please don't make me laugh. You can dress 'em up in shades and tones, but it's not good enough to fool anime fans.

Any SMART company would pick up Tokyo Mew Mew, Shaman King, and if they have any money left over, Ultimate Muscle. I've been on several forums and blog columns with people asking for these titles.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Call me ignorant, but what exactly does this mean?

I don't know a whole lot about business, but I'm under the impression that ownership doesn't necessarily mean you have 100% creative control over the company.

I'm skeptical that a new owner would pull a 180 and make 4Kids a viable competitor in the anime market, even more so that Funimation would acquire all their properties.

Part of me even suspects that they're just trying to trick some patsy into taking over the company's debt, but that sounds a bit conspiracy-ish.

I don't mean to be a huge pessimist, but in the end will this mean anything more then that the company will eventually have a new figurehead?

Also, various comments seem to suggest that individual properties would be up for sale, but my understanding from the article was that it'd be the company as a whole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ink Nijihara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
4Kids was still around?
I haven't heard from 4Kids since Fox
canceled all cartoons about 2 years now.

And i don't have cable/satellite to know that
4Kids is running in those programs.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
You know I looked on the back of my little sister's Sonic X DVD and what does it say? Funimation. I think Funimation is as involved in 4Kids as they want to be.
vilapupu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Shocked
finally!!! 4kids is putting its self for sale. I can't believe what im reading.
they have ruin many anime series to put heavily edit plus bad voice acting. This is a big change for 4kids. I know that someone will buy it and make the company better. lets keep our hopes up for someone that will make 4kids not the same as the past. Anime smile
conankudo4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
Have any of you who are saying "Funi buy 4Kids!" ever looked at the back of a 4Kids DVD? In small print on the bottom, there is a Funimation logo on every Yu-Gi-Oh DVD I've ever seen...Wonder why? Funi already has their hands in 4Kids, they just do it as their TV-Y8 division...Yeah, they'll never come out and say it, but Funi and 4Kids go way back...So basically, 4Kids didn't really "drop" One Piece, they shuffled it to a different branch of the company!

Well... no, not exactly. The thing is, they were only the distributors for the DVDs, most of which were relatively old (all I can remember seeing were the uncut DVDs, sonic X and some old Battle City DVDs from back when I was about ten.) Nothing of their's (that I'm aware of, at least) has been put on DVD ( or in other words, no connections between the two companies) since those uncut DVDs came out ( and that was, like Zac said, 4 years ago.) Good try on the conspiracy theory though.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Perhaps you'd be quite surprised to learn that Funimation already tried releasing uncut subtitled Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King DVDs around 4 years ago and they both failed miserably at the market and got canned after 2 or 3 volumes each.

As someone who preordered the uncut YuGiOh & Shaman King, I'd like to point out they released 2 per month.
How, praytell, did they figure out after all of 2 Shaman King DVDs & 3 YuGiOh (2 months? 3?) they weren't selling?
In fact, they apparently never really cancelled them. They were put on "hold" at the time. I had to finally cancel the order 2 yrs later when I finally read the story.

What DID come out at that time was something about the sales of the cut YuGiOh dvds dipped, strongly suggesting 4Kids actually thought people who were grudgingly buying the cut YuGiOh would continue to buy it as well as the uncut. If they wanted that, they should have released the uncut subbed only (as Geneon was doing with CCS)

But kid stuff burns thru pretty quick. Each generation seems to go for something else so there really isn't that many parents who'd be buying these titles for their kids.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Actually, you'd be quite surprised. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! series is still extremely popular, and having a well-done, uncut version will probably do a lot better now than it would've done back when it aired with the edited version.

Perhaps you'd be quite surprised to learn that Funimation already tried releasing uncut subtitled Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King DVDs around 4 years ago and they both failed miserably at the market and got canned after 2 or 3 volumes each.

Perhaps you'd be quite surprised to learn that those sets sold very well and they were canned due to monetary disputes with 4Kids. It sure would be nice if people would get their facts straight.

And 4Kids lost Mew Mew Power and Shaman King long ago.

Last edited by GaryPotter on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:

Again, as of the first quarter of 2009, 4Kids still receives domestic licensing revenues from Shaman King.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/136973-4-kids-entertainment-inc-q1-2009-earnings-call-transcript
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Do us a favor Funi, rescue Yu-Gi-Oh! and all the other anime they hacked, like you do with One Pice, pleaaaaaaaase? =D
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Again, as of the first quarter of 2009, 4Kids still receives domestic licensing revenues from Shaman King.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/136973-4-kids-entertainment-inc-q1-2009-earnings-call-transcript

Well, I guess I stand corrected then. That's the only time I've seen Shaman King associated with 4Kids in several years, though.

But as for FUNimation picking up 4Kids...it's very unlikely. Someone posted this at another forum and I agree with it 100%.

Quote:
What I want to know is why do people think Navarre's going to get 4Kids? Otaku fanboy dream? Navarre has a low cash flow at the moment and won't make a push for any purchase at this time. So, I'm convinced that if some one would buy it, it'd be a company with deep pockets (Classic Media), an expansion drive (Cookie Jar), or an established entertainment company with both as well as a relationship with the company (Time Warner, whose stock is approaching $30 for the first time in nearly a decade largely on the fact they're shedding the toxic AOL unit and just finished shedding Time Warner Cable). And Navarre doesn't fit any of those criteria.

4Kids holds less than 10 anime. Navarre isn't going to buy 4Kids, a company that own a trading card division of all things (among other non-anime related subsidiaries), just to get a few titles that have mostly run their course in North America.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
GaryPotter wrote:

Which also suggests it might be airing in a syndication market or airing somewhere
panzer.time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Or there's some kind of merch being sold.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ya know ADV was doing damn well too....until their little bubble went pop. It's a fine line from being very successful and having that bubble burst on you. When it bursts it bursts quickly. Look how quickly ADV went from being the largest distributor and voice in the R1 industry to almost non-existent anymore with new releases.Yes they are doing quite well now and they are IMHO at the pinnacle of what they should acquire and do to ensure they stay where they are at and not over reach and watch the house built on sand come tumbling down. If that happens to them....well kiss the R1 market goodbye at this point.

Well it's good that you are caring for the industry and all but it seems that you are maybe being affected by the fear mongering that is going on in the forums lately. Again, if this was last year then they really would have been on a razors edge. But by all accounts they have been doing the right thing and their numbers show that. I was agreeing with you that they don't need to be considering buying 4kids, as frankly it's just too big of a headache. But I think all this other fear that gets thrown into the mix does nobody any good. Not the fans, not the companies. On the other hand it is good that fans are concerned and at least attempting to understand what is going on. So maybe it's a question of magnitude.

Also I think it is a little incorrect to compare ADV with FUNi (as opposed to CPM or Geneon). Mainly because of what brought ADV down was categorically different than the other two. They had a business partner that jumped ship on them reducing their capital to some unknown infinitesimal number. It was a game changer for ADV, a shock to the system. Whereas the other two slowly died of their own practices, ADV had to reinvent themselves with a shoestring budget. I think the only comparable situation that would be applicable would be if Navarre dropped FUNimation. But let's face it there is no way that is going to happen. Navarre needs FUNimation, since FUNi accounts for 94% of the Navarre's operating income.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6