• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Entertainment Reportedly Puts Itself Up for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrochimaruAnko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
Maybe there will be a nice turn around for the company. Hopefully the person that purchases 4Kids will not be such an advocate of the slaughtering (dub and edit) of shows. I supose they did introduce a lot of people to anime but I am a still a bit sore from "Cardcaptors" and "Mew Mew Power." *shudders*

Oh I hope so, I hope someone reverses all the butchering and carving. Hey maybe it will be Funi, they're buying everyone out.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
OrochimaruAnko wrote:
sailorsarah08 wrote:
Maybe there will be a nice turn around for the company. Hopefully the person that purchases 4Kids will not be such an advocate of the slaughtering (dub and edit) of shows. I supose they did introduce a lot of people to anime but I am a still a bit sore from "Cardcaptors" and "Mew Mew Power." *shudders*

Oh I hope so, I hope someone reverses all the butchering and carving. Hey maybe it will be Funi, they're buying everyone out.

I still don't know if Funi could handle juggling any of 4Kids, Geneon OR ADV anime around at once. They still need to be cautious because the economy could still be in the sh*tter
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
bigheart711 wrote:
OrochimaruAnko wrote:
sailorsarah08 wrote:

I still don't know if Funi could handle juggling any of 4Kids, Geneon OR ADV anime around at once. They still need to be cautious because the economy could still be in the sh*tter

Agreed, I see most of the shows 4Kids have getting picked up later after this all settles down, I don't see any of the anime companies risking it, as none of them (except for FUNimation) are really doing to great right now.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I'd need a source from you on this, because I'm positive it's not true at all.
To be blunt, I think Zac should be believed on this one. If I am not mistaken, you have access to sales numbers for stuff right?[/quote]

We, the masses, have always been told sales numbers are a closely guarded secret that few companies release so no, Zac shouldn't specifically know sales numbers on Shaman King or YuGiOh unless someone in 4Kids specifically told him. The ususal assumption is these things get cancelled due to sales, but that's not always the case. Look at those stupid uncut DBZ Funi released some of us were buying when they got the brilliant idea to release box sets so if we wanted uncut season 1 or whatever, we had to re-buy episodes we'd already bought.

Where I work at is the same. We dive into Bright New Idea, but then a year down the road someone comes up with Better Bright New Idea which basically means all the stuff from last year was wasted, but it's the new model so whatever.

Realistically what they were doing was awkward. It would have made far more sense to release uncut subs because going in & re-doing dialogue to fix the edits they done probably was expensive.

ADV & Funi are 2 different examples. There was a time when Funi seemed very shakey while ADV was big, throwing money around. Funi's only product really was DBZ which was winding down & the titles they picked up were hit-&-miss (Blue Gender. YuYu Hakusho. Fruits Basket). I was in there with Fruits Basket from the start & it seemed like it took forever to find an audience-I know I was recommending it to everyone & a lot were put off by the $35 price per dvd. Funi found their path. ADV faltered. Unless you were there, you, nor none of us klnow exactly what took ADV down, though we all have our theories. From the outside, it looks as though they imploded before their deal with Sojitz fell thru. Maybe they missed a payment they were supposed to make. Maybe they promised better sales than they were getting. Maybe they delayed releases too many times. It makes little sense for the partnership to have fallen apart for no reason whatsoever. It IS logical to assume ADV might have overextended themselves as many of us did during the boom, so when the bust came, they apparently had less safetynet than they needed.

One really can't compare 4Kids & Funi either. 4Kids was riding HIGH. Their stock was recommended as a good investment by reputable investors. That they managed to coast this long is a testiment to how well they had been doing, but it also suggests there are serious issues if they're looking for an infusion of cash like this. THeir model isn't working & they apparently kept thinking something was going to change like their properties becoming the Big Deal again.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Zac wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Actually, you'd be quite surprised. The original Yu-Gi-Oh! series is still extremely popular, and having a well-done, uncut version will probably do a lot better now than it would've done back when it aired with the edited version.

Perhaps you'd be quite surprised to learn that Funimation already tried releasing uncut subtitled Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King DVDs around 4 years ago and they both failed miserably at the market and got canned after 2 or 3 volumes each.

I don't think we've ever gotten any indication as to how well those uncut DVDs did, since I think we got multiple messages throught history (they failed, they did OK, they did as well as the edited DVDs and 4Kids didn't want their edited DVDs to compete with the uncut DVDs, etc.). When it comes to 4Kids it's not surprising to get multiple messages.

Yeah, IIRC correctly, when asked for hard numbers, someone here at ANN (I forgot whom) made the remark that "I have the figures, but because of some confidentially legalese I can't even begin to describe, your gonna have to take my word for it that it did sell." Or something similar.

So, cough up the figures Zac. I want to believe you, but I can't unless you provide the hard data.

Lemme put it in visual form:

Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Yeah, IIRC correctly, when asked for hard numbers, someone here at ANN (I forgot whom) made the remark that "I have the figures, but because of some confidentially legalese I can't even begin to describe, your gonna have to take my word for it that it did sell." Or something similar.

So, cough up the figures Zac. I want to believe you, but I can't unless you provide the hard data.

I can't do that because that was like 4 years ago.

Also I like how it's me who has to cough up sales numbers - which nobody publishes on anime forums anyway, ever - but some random forums dude saying he "thinks it's because of some licensing issue, not because of poor sales" is totally believable and now I have to argue against that like it's legit.

I find it kind of hilarious that you're not willing to believe me but you're totally willing to believe a random stranger who you can't keep track of at all and has absolutely no responsibility to anyone.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
Honestly? I don't think it's that much of a leap in logic to figure out that those uncut DVDs were a complete financial black hole anyway. They got slow, exceedingly limited releases that were stopped quickly once the economic tide began to turn and domestic companies started trimming the unprofitable, poor-selling excess to prepare for the bursting bubble.

Sales numbers, even if they weren't confidential, are hardly necessary to see what happened there. Those things just did not sell, whether because they were hard to find, the fans who wanted uncut releases were unwilling to spend money on them, or any other reasons that may have existed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

I can't do that because that was like 4 years ago.

Also I like how it's me who has to cough up sales numbers - which nobody publishes on anime forums anyway, ever - but some random forums dude saying he "thinks it's because of some licensing issue, not because of poor sales" is totally believable and now I have to argue against that like it's legit.

I find it kind of hilarious that you're not willing to believe me but you're totally willing to believe a random stranger who you can't keep track of at all and has absolutely no responsibility to anyone.

I don't think he's agreeing with me, he's stating he read something similar to what I did a while back. Also, as a regular user, I don't expect anyone to trust me, and most people might not, I understand that. Basically what he is hinting at with the picture is, as a important person on this forum, you need to cite more than the normal person when addressing everyone. Having said that, you really didn't state anything that needed citing, as you were just bringing up skepticism against me, so I don't agree with him in this circumstance, as you were not really stating a view one way or the other (and actually asked for a source if possible).
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Funimation wouldn't invest money into 4Kids. There are so many better things they could spend their cash on right now.

Also, I got some interesting news regarding the media selection and layouts at Best Buy, and how there going to be changing soon. And let's just say it probably won't be a good thing for anime in general, especially titles that aren't DBZ or Naruto.

Though the new layouts are just being rolled out regionally now. So they may not see a nationwide role out, depending on the results of the test market.

Regardless, I really don't like the fact it's coming to my store and I will have to deal with it. It's going to be a nightmare.
Victor Ortiz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Nobody will buy 4kids because of Censorship.
I rather let the 4kids run out of business forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6