• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st K-On! Volume is Now #2 Blu-Ray in Japan So Far

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
i hope Bandai gets it they all ways got good LE
Manwards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
i hope Bandai gets it they all ways got good LE

After the poor sales and eventual cancelling of the Lucky Star LEs, I'm not convinced they'd take a chance on another KyoAni-produced moe show. I can imagine Funimation picking it up and releasing the whole series as a single, subtitled boxset. I'd be just fine with that, myself. I've already got most of the CDs through importing, and none of the other typical LE bonuses (postcards, iron-on transfers, pillowcases, etc.) appeal to me.
TJR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
KyoAni's road to success: incredibly high-quality animation.

At this point, their phenomenal success has less to do with animation quality (which isn't as impressive as it used to be anyway) than momentum and fan fervor. They're sitting pretty in a bubble.

However, that bubble isn't going to last forever.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
I think people are being far too hard on K-ON!. True, it's nothing more than a cute moe show, but that's all it was ever made to be. Kyoto Animation were just sticking close to the source material, as they always do. The artwork and animation are lovely, and the music of a consistently high quality. I'm surprised myself that it's broken this record, but you can't hold that success against the show itself, or its makers.

Myself, I love a layered, dramatic show whose themes and symbols can be discussed until the early hours of the morning, but I can also enjoy simpler shows, particularly when they're as pleasant to the eyes and ears as K-ON! is. I recently went from reading Lewis Carroll's Alice books to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and I'm now jumping ahead a couple of hundred years for Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife, and I'm enjoying them all for entirely different, but equally valid, reasons.

The only point I'm making here is that moe shows aren't only enjoyed by drooling 4ch dwellers who revel in nude Photoshops and poor grammar. Enjoying a show like this on its own merits doesn't mean you're turning your back on complexity or depth. Some things are just there to be enjoyed.

Well spoken Dude, Well spoken. K-ON has 1 more episode left then it will be gone forever. (Unless they come with Manga Chapters) I can't help but wonder what Kyoto Animation has after Inuyasha. I hope its that Anime that ~Key~ Announced with Amniplex.

Manward please don't say Subtitled ony. Duded and Subbed please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TheGoddesswatcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
K-ON is epic Stop sippin that Haterade. It deserves those sales. Also Moi is fail, Yui = Moe goddess

Ah no thankyou.
I have to agree with the others on here about this.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I can't help but wonder what Kyoto Animation has after Inuyasha.

KyoAni animating InuYasha? HAHA
I think you mean Sunrise. Wink
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
K-ON is epic

I think this in every single thread you give your 'input' to but for God's sake learn what the word 'epic' means. It's painful to read.

ep⋅ic
  /ˈɛpɪk/ [ep-ik]
–adjective Also, ep⋅i⋅cal.
noting or pertaining to a long poetic composition, usually centered upon a hero, in which a series of great achievements or events is narrated in elevated style: Homer's Iliad is an epic poem.

Something like One Piece, or any other long-running adventure is what what be descriped as an 'epic'. K-On or any other slice of life show is not 'epic'. Honestly, dont you have any other adjectives at all?
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Sales +1!

Hmm? What was that? People are complaining?
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how moe K-ON! is.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
K-ON is epic Stop sippin that Haterade. It deserves those sales. Also Moi is fail, Yui = Moe goddess

I find myself actually agreeing with the perennial "no dub no sale" troll...and actually beginning to understand him.

You're basic motivation is to see moe anime become more mainstream in America, isn't it?

Annf wrote:
Sales +1!

ww. Like I keep on saying, I can't wait till those Strike Witches R1's come out so I can buy three copies and go "Sales+3!" while posting it to ANN.

TJR wrote:
At this point, their phenomenal success has less to do with animation quality (which isn't as impressive as it used to be anyway) than momentum and fan fervor. They're sitting pretty in a bubble.

However, that bubble isn't going to last forever.

Really, though, that fervor is based on something. There really isn't any other moe/otaku anime out there that comes close to approaching the level of anime quality found in K-On or Clannad. I mean, Toradora and K-On are both moefests, but when Toradora sells 10,519 Volume 1's and K-On 41,000 (DVD+Blue-ray) Volume 1's, you know there's something going on there.

Ranma824 wrote:
Man, I wish I had the disposable income to import the whole show. What I'll probably do is buy the episodes I really like when they're first released, then go back later and buy the other volumes I didn't get to have the whole show.

Personally, I'd recommend waiting for the R1's. It'd be cheaper, and you'd be supporting the English side and asserting your demands and place as an English-speaking consumer.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
I can't help but wonder what Kyoto Animation has after Inuyasha.

KyoAni animating InuYasha? HAHA
I think you mean Sunrise. Wink

Kyoto Animation is apart of Inuyasha as well. See

http://myanimelist.net/anime/249/InuYasha

And watch the end credits for Inuyasha Kyoto Animation is like leed Animation.

@Annf@ Ha ha I see Kokonoe! Anime smile

Also Toradora! is not Moe. It has a little bit of Moe in it but its not Moe. I actually think Toradora! is miles better than K-ON but K-ON is on that epic Level. Also I like the word epic. If something is Epic then its epic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
I think people are being far too hard on K-ON!. True, it's nothing more than a cute moe show, but that's all it was ever made to be. Kyoto Animation were just sticking close to the source material, as they always do. The artwork and animation are lovely, and the music of a consistently high quality. I'm surprised myself that it's broken this record, but you can't hold that success against the show itself, or its makers.

Myself, I love a layered, dramatic show whose themes and symbols can be discussed until the early hours of the morning, but I can also enjoy simpler shows, particularly when they're as pleasant to the eyes and ears as K-ON! is. I recently went from reading Lewis Carroll's Alice books to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and I'm now jumping ahead a couple of hundred years for Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife, and I'm enjoying them all for entirely different, but equally valid, reasons.

The only point I'm making here is that moe shows aren't only enjoyed by drooling 4ch dwellers who revel in nude Photoshops and poor grammar. Enjoying a show like this on its own merits doesn't mean you're turning your back on complexity or depth. Some things are just there to be enjoyed.

My thoughts exactly.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
Sales +1!

*claps* Very Happy Yaaay! ... oh wait ... is that a Kodomo no Jikan figure there next to it? OH NO LOOK OUT ... the animenewsnetwork forces are gonna come and yell at you for being a pedophile!!!! lol

Oh wait ... here's mine...

http://myfigurecollection.net/image/Jenthehen1246848980.jpg

But, seriously ... K-On was a fabulous show. Before I even knew what "moe" was or meant, I was really attracted to the big eyes, small mouth bright colored cutesy animation - I think it's lovely! K-On had heart. It was a simple slice of life show about female friendship and having fun in high school - I LOVE those shows. Why does everyone always want to bitch and moan and complain about everything? Just enjoy it! If you don't like this style, then don't watch it. There are just as many serious and dramatic and non-moe shows to choose from.

K-On also had wonderful (if goofy) music - very catchy, though! Very Happy

Old-school anime animation looked like crap. Be thankful that newer animation is prettier Wink
Kenotic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:

I really wanted to like K-ON more than I did. It's not that I'm a big "Moe = end of anime" person -- I loved Kamichu and even Lucky Star had a few great moments. Haruhi was a blast, even if it seemed to be more of a parody of moe than the real thing.

But I was hoping a show about a bunch kids thrown together to start a band would contain more music. By the middle I was with Mio and Azu, knock off the cutesy (and pandering - we get it, Mio's cute and a reluctant pinup) stuff and get to playing music for awhile. Nothing wrong with silliness at all, but when a 13 episode show has two beach episodes, I think a little more effort is called for.

Quote:
Enjoying a show like this on its own merits doesn't mean you're turning your back on complexity or depth. Some things are just there to be enjoyed.

I agree that you can enjoy things that are meant to be fun without analyzing them to death. However, I just wish it didn't feel so lazy at moments.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Yeah Moi is fail Razz Mio + Azu-nyan = win.
And I concur with the first two statements. For all you moe haters out there, it's a part of anime whether you like it or not so suck it up. *such comments have no effect on me since I watch about everything that is released * Laughing
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Proof that the Japanese will buy any stupid product involving moe. Way to go Japan, you damn loli otaku filled land.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9