• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st K-On! Volume is Now #2 Blu-Ray in Japan So Far

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I will never understand how some people think that liking or disliking a show is an accurate way to judge a person. It's just plain crazy.

Anyway, I knew it was going to sell well, but this is a pleasant surprise.

It'll be a long wait for the OVA.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy K-On! on DVD if that was the only Region 1 option, but, if Bandai released K-On! straight to BluRay in North America, that'd pretty much be the one single release that would cause me to stop stalling and finally get a BluRay player.

Well, that or the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya,

Even with all of the great new summer shows I'm watching like Taisho Baseball Girls, Sora no Manimani, GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class, and Kanamemo, K-On! is still my favourite anime of 2009 thus far, but I'm a big fan of shows that are "never ending girls' talk" (and I also like the music, and Mio and Tsumugi).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
I will never understand how some people think that liking or disliking a show is an accurate way to judge a person. It's just plain crazy.

It's simple if you like moe your either a female or a middle aged nerd who is also a pedophile. And if you don't like moe you can join KanjiiZ and myself and hang out in the "normal" crowd Laughing. Joking, I'm just joking.

Anyways for me I know I don't have to watch any moe anime. But if people keep buying thing that use the same simple characters, same cutesy voices, and put them in similar plots what do we get? That same anime year after year instead of shows that try not to use the same cookie cutter. I'm not saying everything has to be of EVA's complexity, I enjoy lighthearted anime to. But I really believe the industry could more original than it has been lately. On a last note if an ANN staff is reading this could you please Mod Mario's account so he/she can't use the letters E-P-I-C in one word, thanks.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

I see nothing wrong with liking moe ... and I'm a 24 year old straight female with a career!

There's nothing wrong with moe in general, but everything's wrong with what KyoAni has turned "moe" into, expressed most strongly in K-ON!

Retardation isn't cute.

Megiddo wrote:

lolwut? Have you seen FMP:TSR or Air TV?

That was four years ago, Megiddo. KyoAni, especially in these last few months, has become a shell of its former glory. I mean, how many studios do you know that intentionally sabotage their cash cow?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

It's simple if you like moe your either a female or a middle aged nerd who is also a pedophile. And if you don't like moe you can join KanjiiZ and myself and hang out in the "normal" crowd Laughing. Joking, I'm just joking.

Anyways for me I know I don't have to watch any moe anime. But if people keep buying thing that use the same simple characters, same cutesy voices, and put them in similar plots what do we get? That same anime year after year instead of shows that try not to use the same cookie cutter. I'm not saying everything has to be of EVA's complexity, I enjoy lighthearted anime to. But I really believe the industry could more original than it has been lately. On a last note if an ANN staff is reading this could you please Mod Mario's account so he/she can't use the letters E-P-I-C in one word, thanks.

Personally, I thought Eva was horrible. It COULD have been great, but ... ughhh. Gainax ... *shakes head* Eureka SeveN took the same concepts and made something much, MUCH better.

If you want certain types of anime, then that needs to be communicated in $$$ ... I know you can't do this alone, but ... I'm sure that a lot of the complainers are the same folks who don't buy anime Razz
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read this whole thread, but I agree with those first posts that I read calling out the current state of anime and otaku.

Everything is moe shit anymore, and otaku-dom nowadays is basically the realm of lonely emotionally stunted losers who f*ck body pillows every night.

I miss the 90s.
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
The Count wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

Personally, I thought Eva was horrible. It COULD have been great, but ... ughhh. Gainax ... *shakes head* Eureka SeveN took the same concepts and made something much, MUCH better.

If you want certain types of anime, then that needs to be communicated in $$$ ... I know you can't do this alone, but ... I'm sure that a lot of the complainers are the same folks who don't buy anime Razz
Don't get me wrong I've gotten over EVA to, and love what E7 did. In fact not counting Flag I think E7 is the best mecha show to come out in years. And like you said even though I purchase most title that I think have some originality and are well done, my money alone won't give these shows the popularity I believe they deserve. All I can do is try to get others to check out these shows, while not insulting their own personal taste.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

It's simple if you like moe your either a female or a middle aged nerd who is also a pedophile. And if you don't like moe you can join KanjiiZ and myself and hang out in the "normal" crowd :lol:. Joking, I'm just joking.

I should point out that it's also teenagers that believe lolicon is cool.
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
The Count wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

Okay never mind, you go find your own crowd. Stay far, FAR away from me.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
The Count wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

It's simple if you like moe your either a female or a middle aged nerd who is also a pedophile. And if you don't like moe you can join KanjiiZ and myself and hang out in the "normal" crowd :lol:. Joking, I'm just joking.

Okay never mind, you go find your own crowd. Stay far, FAR away from me.

What, do you like lolicon or something?
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
What, do you like lolicon or something?[/quote]No my fault, I thought I read you were a teenager who like lolicon. Laughing
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Man Kyoani's fall in popularity in North America sure has been pretty steep in the last 6 or so months. I don't know if I'll be able to resist laughing when the internet goes ballastic upon Endless Eight's inevitable chart shattering #1 DVD/BR sales. It'll happen, my ragetastic friends, it helps to accept it now and spare yourself the anger.

Personally I don't get angry anymore. I am a little disappointed in how single-mindedly interested in moe our Japanese counterparts seem to be, but I prefer to express it in the form of comedic interjections rather than in angry outbursts. I'm probably going to get in trouble and have my post deleted for this, but here goes nothing:

http://animehistory.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/how-to-make-a-successful-anime-the-5-golden-rules/

Just a little something I've cooked up centred around what I've come to know about making top selling anime in Japan.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

http://animehistory.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/how-to-make-a-successful-anime-the-5-golden-rules/

Just a little something I've cooked up centred around what I've come to know about making top selling anime in Japan.

Jesus is that list ever accurate. Macross might have had tons of moe, but at least it had death and explosions. I'm getting tired of straight out slice-of-life moe, there's nearly nothing redeeming to it. I watched all of K-ON!, and I don't think I ever cracked a smile once. So I guess what's in is still Retarded Moe. Makes sense, one of the big parts of moe is the protection factor, and people who have mental retardation need protection.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Also I like the word epic. If something is Epic then its epic.

I happen to like the word 'spelunking' so I guess I'll use that to describe anime I like from now on, whether or not there is any spelunking in the anime itself. Rolling Eyes
You cant go assinging genres to anime that arent part of that genre. Did you read my post at all?

EDIT= And why did this thread have to turn into a moe bashing thread? I love moe, so it always makes me sad when all these 'edgey' anime fans (calling themselves 'normal' or whatever Rolling Eyes ) endlessly bash it as though it's going to make a difference.
And yet, every time the 3 millionth mecha series comes out, no one says a thing. Because it's cool to like mecha, ammirite? The downright lack of acceptance of what other people like in the western anime fandom is just depressing. So Japan isnt catering to your exclusively superior American tastes, get over it.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Also I like the word epic. If something is Epic then its epic.

I happen to like the word 'spelunking' so I guess I'll use that to describe anime I like from now on, whether or not there is any spelunking in the anime itself. Rolling Eyes
You can't go assinging genres to anime that arent part of that genre. Did you read my post at all?

EDIT= And why did this thread have to turn into a moe bashing thread? I love moe, so it always makes me sad when all these 'edgey' anime fans (calling themselves 'normal' or whatever Rolling Eyes ) endlessly bash it as though it's going to make a difference.
And yet, every time the 3 millionth mecha series comes out, no one says a thing. Because it's cool to like mecha, ammirite? The downright lack of acceptance of what other people like in the western anime fandom is just depressing. So Japan isnt catering to your exclusively superior American tastes, get over it.

I have nothing against moe, I just find it kind of funny in a have to laugh sort of way that it's pretty much become THE defining factor in what allows series to sell the most copies. The more flat out moe for the sake of moe a show is the more popular it is in Japan and the more copies it sells. Does this bother me? No, not in the way it bothers others, but I'd kind of like to know where it all came from just the same.

And yes there's a lot of mecha and it's generally pretty popular in Japan, but it's not nearly as much of a guaranteed blockbuster formula as what has become known as the moe slice of life genre. Also in my experience moe slice of life fans have been pretty edgey themselves over the past few years (if not moreso then mecha fans) when Kyoani was the be all end all and everyone either had to get behind them and their fans or get out of the way. Wouldn't be surprised if part of what is happening now is a result of hard feelings and the fact that currently moe and it's harbinger in Kyoani are currently the ones in the hot seat so to speak.

Before anyone asks, yes I am a mecha fan, and I myself was not happy to see my tastes beat up on by moe slice of life fans when that genre was at it's absolute peak here in the west. I used to be bitter, but have since tried to let it slide and just laugh it all off. I think what it really comes down to is that there's a bit of a culture gap that needs to be bridged. Both sides need to come together to make that happen though and both sides need to be more gracious of other peoples tastes and try to be accommodating. If I make that sound like it's easy though I apologize, because it's actually going to be near impossible right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9