• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-08-05

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Eh, my mileage varied on this one but Robin's good at skewering genres. I prefer her affectionate parodies like the Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX vs. this though, since it feels too much like "I'm jumping on the bandwagon to bash the genre everyone blames for the lack of whatever their favorite genre is." (Or at least it has that feeling after reading the comments.)

Personally I'm a little sick of the "ZOMG hatz moe!" posts. It's starting to become a tad obsessive-compulsive for some folks.

Preparing to be attacked in T-minus some small number of posts.
Fake Alias

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
I thought kevin despiced fansubs and bootlegs.... But now he's watching is a new show, with kareoke.. Sooo.. Has he been converted or something?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Oh gawd, this cracked me up this morning. And of course Kevin's reaction of trying to come up with an explanation had me dying.

Keep up the good work.

Y'know this would make for an interesting PC game.

Actually this called to my mind a very obscure 'Korean' (PC) date/love sim called "Tomak: Love Story". Created by 'SEED9'. Where the premise is for a goddess to prove there is love in the world in order to save it from destruction. Good vs Evil deal. So she must prove this to the higher ups, but there's a catch. She can only go down to Earth with just her "head". So basically it's you the male protagonist taking care of a head growing out of a flower pot. It was a pretty popular game.

http://www.seed9.com/tomak/

Unfortunately, the site has limited images because the game is pretty old now. At the time of the GP32 system (not the GP32X) there was quite a buzz. They created a promotional vid for upcoming shooter sequel 'Tomak: Save the Earth Again! Hell, in the age of YT you can't find ANYTHING on this game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Oh gawd, this cracked me up this morning. And of course Kevin's reaction of trying to come up with an explanation had me dying.

Keep up the good work.

Actually this called to my mind a very obscure 'Korean' (PC) date/love sim called "Tomak: Love Story". Created by 'SEED9'. Where the premise is for a goddess to prove there is love in the world in order to save it from destruction. Good vs Evil deal. So she must prove this to the higher ups, but there's a catch. She can only go down to Earth with just her "head". So basically it's you the male protagonist taking care of a head growing out of a flower pot. It was a pretty popular game.

Unfortunately, the site has limited images because the game is pretty old now. At the time of the GP32 system (not the GP32X) there was quite a buzz. They created a promotional vid for upcoming shooter sequel 'Tomak: Save the Earth Again! Hell, in the age of YT you can't find ANYTHING on this game.

Wow nice find there Anime hyper
geopgeop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Wow... this reminds me of this doujin game that I read about somewhere... aah, it's apparently called Katawa Shoujo ("Cripple Girl"), and developed in English by 4chan. In it, the 5 main female cast members each have some kind of a dissability or disfigurement- one w/ no arms, one w/ no legs (just prosthetics), one w/burn scars, one deaf-mute, and on blind. Is this the game Patachu (the first commenter) was kinda referring to? Or is this really just a visual of the "moe blob"? Laughing

Now I'm reminded of Deuce Bigalow...
Himemiya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
OH! The joke is that she's SHORT! I thought she was like that head thing from vocaloid...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Keep up the good work.

Wow nice find there Anime hyper

Thanks. Wink I felt it deserves mention. But the credit goes to Robin for bringing back memories. Now what I want to see is Robin continue developing this skit.

Gawd, I can hear the "purin" song from 'Welcome to the NHK'. I'm sure the protagonist of this show is going WTFookery is this?
Gawd, I can't stop laughing at this piece.
zslobber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Also, lol at the candy/poop/moe-blob myoopi left on the couch in the last panel.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Fake Alias wrote:
I thought Kevin despised fansubs and bootlegs.... But now he's watching is a new show, with karaoke.. Sooo.. Has he been converted or something?
No, I think Kevin got scammed. There's no way the hottest new show in Japan would have subtitles like that. (Barring a Kannagi-type release, anyway.) That's got to be a DVD or an older fansub. If it really were a modern fansub of the latest otaku craze show, chances are it would look a little more like this. And that's no karaoke; you can tell because you can actually read it. By unwritten law, karaoke is supposed to draw more attention to fancy effects by making the actual translations unreadable. You think I'm joking? Think again.

@Kiriska -- of course there's no outrage over Honey & Clover. It wasn't based on a visual novel, it wasn't animated by Kyoto Animation, it wasn't aimed at the highest-spending anime fan demographic (20something male otaku), and had only minimal amounts of what could be called moe or loli content with Hagu.

I'd heard about Katawa Shoujo before, but has anything been done on it since late 2007? Maybe I was looking at the wrong development forum.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
ARRRGH! Nana's Everyday Life flashback!! Nononononononono!!! I can't be depressed NOW! I have WORK to do tommorrow!

DAMN YOU, SEVAKIS!!! I *WILL* HAVE REVENGE FOR THIS!
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha that was funny.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Animated version of this.

Make sure you're not eating before searching it with Google Image.

UWAAAHHH!!! But at least she has a body. Now that you've called this up chances are someone is listening and they might make a show out it. Laughing

Hmmm, this seems pretty interesting. Thanks for mentioning this. Smile
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Good strip this week, Robin. (All your strips are good by the way.) I especially enjoyed the last panel: "Where's her torso?" Watch them make an anime like that.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Excellent strip. Really does take Moe blob to another level doesn't it.
At least real anime's have not gone that far yet.
I think...

Last edited by Flame-G102 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Midwestern Tanuki wrote:
On a non-anime note, Is anyone else reminded of the 1960's Sci-fi cult classic, The Brain that wouldn't die, title character aka Jan in the Pan?

You mean The Head That Wouldn't Die? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4