• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon GN 5 - 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one bothered by Haruka's mysteriously inconsistent character design (It seems like her chin gets smaller with every chapter). Beyond that though, these volumes are definitely some of the best so far in terms of material.

That said, I still find William Flanagan's overly literal translations a bit annoying. They're just too clunky most of the time. Then there's the fact that everyone says "Eh?" instead of the much more natural sounding "Huh?", and that, for some annoying reason, the silver crystal must always be called "legendary silver crystal" and always with quotation marks. It's little things like that that distract from the reading experience, IMO.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
I'm very suspicious about what Kodansha USA is allowing in terms of number of rounds of editing and the Japanese approval for the translation. Knowing who the editor and the translator are, the mistakes seen in some of the volumes, the over literal translation, and sometimes just bizzare phrasing, seem incongruous.
I expect that there either is only allowing one draft of editing, or someone in Japan having to make "corrections" to the translation done. (Which often aren't wrong, just not choices a native english speaker would do in terms of writing, making it sound clunky.)
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
The overly literal translation made volume 5 a VERY hard read. Thankfully the writing improves a bit in volume 7. With all the intense sci-fi stuff the unnatural flow of the translation just makes things confusing.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
I like what you said, "The wind is always blowing in Sailor Moon's world." I love that about the manga. The art is gorgeous and we actually get to see how long SM's hair really is.

I so wish they'd release the artbook in America.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
Professor Tomoe's long-awaited appearance? Yes, please, I'll take twenty.

I do wish the translation were less literal, as well. The writing just doesn't flow at all in some points. I guess they can't all be Toren Smith...
kamui85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
why is eternal chibi moon in the cover? isnt that a spoiler?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:

There is no Eternal Chibi Moon. There is a Super, but her skirt has red and yellow stripes on it. This one's all pink.

Not sure what's up with the star brooch though.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Waiting for these volumes to arrive in my last order from TRSI. Couldn't find them locally and Planet X Comics can't order Kodansha titles for some reason. Stopped by Fully Booked in Greenhills yesterday, and lo and behold, they had volumes 5, 6, and 7 on the shelf. Really ought to be more patient when looking for locally-stocked copies.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, Freud would probably also have something to say about the cone-shaped buns on her head and the moon rod, so perhaps it is best to leave him out of this and move on.
Oh come on! They're suppose to be bunny ears. Even an old pervy git like me can see that much. As for the moon rod....leave it out mate. It's just not worth it. Laughing
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
kamui85 wrote:

There is no Eternal Chibi Moon. There is a Super, but her skirt has red and yellow stripes on it. This one's all pink.

Not sure what's up with the star brooch though.

I guess it is technically a spoiler - that's her spoiler[Sailor Stars outfit from the last cycle of the manga. All of the senshi have been wearing them on the covers; I remember thinking initially that it was an odd choice.] I suspect that Takeuchi just likes drawing the flowing ribbons on the belts, though.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh come on! They're suppose to be bunny ears. Even an old pervy git like me can see that much. As for the moon rod....leave it out mate. It's just not worth it. Laughing

Behold the perils of teaching psychoanalytic theory the week I write the review! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1