• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The majority of people on this forum are negative.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
The cure for negativity - let's talk about who to ban.
No. Just encourage them to be more postitve/optimistic-Oh who am I kidding this was pointless to begin with.
You sure got that one damned straight! Twisted Evil
underlock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
First explain why being negative is wrong or bad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
jl07045 wrote:

No. Just encourage them to be more postitve/optimistic...

That's BS. Did you or did you not say the following:

SecretJustin1130 wrote:
...and jerkasses such as enurtsol HAVE to be BANNED

Sure sounds like you want bans.

SecretJustin1130 wrote:
Oh who am I kidding this was pointless to begin with.

Glad you realised that.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Alan45 is correct. If there are particular posts for eruntsol or others that are problematically negative, please report them so that we Mods can take a look at them. I don't recall that forumite's ID ever coming up before on a legitimate complaint, though.

That's why people need to report posts and not just whine about them. Been told by several mods over the years if you want something done REPORT THE POST so it's brought to their attention. It's impossible to check every thread every day. Without having no life anyways. Plus the mods are all volunteers (not to be confused with admins).

SecretJustin1130 wrote:
jl07045 wrote:

No. Just encourage them to be more postitve/optimistic-Oh who am I kidding this was pointless to begin with.

You're right for 2 reasons. The first being this thread in itself is an example of the very thing you're posting about. Negativity. Not trying to be rude to you pal but the fact is it really is. So you're right off the bat putting yourself behind the 8-ball in terms of credibility really. Secondly it's pointless because you really give no examples or suggestions to improve this negative atmosphere you complain about. If you feel the majority are negative and you want to make a thread about it the least you can do is give some suggestions to try and improve this. I mean without those what honestly is the point here beyond simply complaining yourself? Again, not trying to be rude to you but it's just how I see it.

Now I have personally complained about this myself in the past here. The above 2 points I made to you were made to me by staffers/admin. So I've felt like you do myself before. Still do perhaps to a certain extent. Honestly though I think the majority of people here right now at this point in time are middle of the road in attitude. I think the majority are just.....coasting and neither too negative but not uber positive either. The problem is the negative and jerkhole posters are just that much damn louder. They over shadow any decency and just make the focus on them. The answer to that is my first point up at the top. Report them. Trust me, if you keep repeating the same people over and over when they act up the mods will step in. If only to make you shut up and not flood them with reports yourself heh. Think of it like the old saying of how bad news travels twice as fast and far as good news. Jerkwad posters are 2 times louder and more in your face than nice ones.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Rudeness, like constant and unwarranted insults, shouldn't be tolerated. True. But, is what's being referred to here as "negative", actually being critical? If one is critical (validly) of every piece of news feed or review, then, that just means there's something concerning it that's deserving of critique. Also, Eruntsol seems to be a very cool guy with a sense of humor. And we've had disagreements before, and he never resorted to childish, pointless, pea-brained name-calling, like some other forumites I can think of off the top of my head.

underlock wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
There are definately worst users on this forum...

Yeah, I'd say Blood-.

Yeah, and I'd say just about every active and inactive mod would agree with you. (He's also joined by another user with a certain obsession of Madoka and an Urabe-chan avatar).
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
That's why people need to report posts and not just whine about them. Been told by several mods over the years if you want something done REPORT THE POST so it's brought to their attention.

Yeah, I've been reporting posts and nothing ever gets done. Forgive me for being highly dubious.

504NOSON2 wrote:
(He's also joined by another user with a certain obsession of Madoka and an Urabe-chan avatar).

Hiding behind such a thinly-veiled attack is pretty cowardly.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
underlock wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
There are definately worst users on this forum...

Yeah, I'd say Blood-.

Yeah, and I'd say just about every active and inactive mod would agree with you. (He's also joined by another user with a certain obsession of Madoka and an Urabe-chan avatar).

Mind you, the substantial difference between me and the ... mysterious poster you cravenly allude to ... is that I've never been banned or post-moderated, nor am I currently banned from participating in the Anime Quote Guessing and Anime Character Guessing game threads. But yeah, other than that, we are two peas in a pod. Laughing
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Yeah, I've been reporting posts and nothing ever gets done. Forgive me for being highly dubious.

Honestly, I see a lot of your reports. But I also see a lot of reports of you as well. So I usually leave both alone and just call it even, unless it's some kind of case that calls for extreme measures.

And again, if it's anything in Talkback, 99% of the time I won't do a thing because I'll never be bothered to stress myself out over some of those people.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
Oh, by the way, not that I've made a ton of reports, but I notice some action is usually taken (there has been one recent exception), especially if Keonyn happens to be the one who gets the report. Which is kind of ironic when you consider that I recently wrongfully accused him of being biased against me. Confused
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
underlock wrote:

Perhaps negative was the wrong word but rather pessimism was right word to say about this.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
If the majority of people are being negative then the obvious cure is not to ban all the negative people, but instead the one person complaining about them Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
That's why people need to report posts and not just whine about them. Been told by several mods over the years if you want something done REPORT THE POST so it's brought to their attention.

It is difficult to make a judgment without specific examples.
Here is a recent specific example of why I am also dubious:
In the "An anime I don't want set in the United States." thread in the Anime forum I wanted to report a post by dragoneyes001. Right now that post is the last one in the thread. I was not able to make any comments because the post had already been reported.
The reason that I wanted to report it is because the post is nothing but a political diatribe about the CIA and Bin Laden. There was nothing in the entire post about anime.
But TK seemed to think that the only problem was that dragoneyes001 had quoted the entire post that he replied to. When I saw that I tried to report the post again but just got the message that it had already been reported.
In my opinion the entire post should have been deleted for being a political statement that contributed nothing to the thread or the forums.

It is possible that the person who reported the post just mentioned the excessive quoting, and when TK cleaned that up he did not read further down in the post, assuming that any problems there would have been in the report.
If that is case case then I think that the system should be changed so that a post can be reported again after the initial report has been addressed, if the forum software will allow that.

Or it could just be that I am being too negative about that post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
underlock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
underlock wrote:

Perhaps negative was the wrong word but rather pessimism was right word to say about this.

I don't see much difference. Just like the world never changes. Oh my god, this accursed rocky ball cruising through space on a deadly ride that can only end in doom.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Tony already really beat me to it but since you responded to me I'll respond to you. Look at the source of your reports DTM. This is not some attack on you I'm just stating facts. You know you are one of the most reported users here. You've been banned a few times now have you not? Weren't your posts on moderation for a time where they had to be approved before they could even be posted? Might be wrong there on that point. Regardless the fact remains you are often a very abrasive user yourself and get reported easily as much as you report others. Possibly more so. You've been told off and warned by virtually every moderator and admin who is active now. You're probably one stone throw away from a perma ban in all honesty. I mean hell you managed to drive away one of the mods for a while who got tired of dealing with you and the fact you weren't perma banned. So let's be honest here, don't you think your credibility when you report a post may often come into question? That it's probably often seen as the pot calling the kettle black? You simply don't have a very good track record man. Again, I'm not attacking you or trying to start an argument here, but just trying to state some facts. You can get mad at me if you want but it won't change those facts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
You've been banned a few times now have you not? Weren't your posts on moderation for a time where they had to be approved before they could even be posted? Might be wrong there on that point.

You're not. dtm42 has been banned three times that I am personally aware of, post-moderated once for about a year, I believe, and is banned from participating in the Anime Quote and Character Guessing games. Just this past week he was warned by Zac he faced another banning after he said he'd reach down Steve Foster's throat and kick him in the nuts if he screwed up some dub. So yeah, I can't fathom why his post reports aren't dealt with to his satisfaction each and every time. Laughing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3