• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-08-07]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
It just goes to show you that you never know what you'll find, especially when you're not looking for it.

I've found some pretty good deals at a local used bookstore over the last 7 or 8 years - Book Broker in Evansville, Indiana has a pretty unpredictable selection and chaotic layout, but when you find something, it's in great shape and dirt cheap.

To make a long story short, I told Brian the story of the $10 Lodoss OVA remastered set.

I had also gotten Battle Angel for $8 before the reprint, 2 volumes of Dirty Pair Flash DVDs for $4 each, and all 3 volumes of Martian Successor Nadesico Essential Anime for $20.

The half-priced manga bin is pretty sweet too.

None of those really touch the Lodoss War bargain, though, as it is now out of print and really needs a license rescue so more people can see a thing of beauty.
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
The best deal I got was when I was searching through the used section at FYE and came across the Full Box set of Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok for 11.99. I thought it was a misprint. When it rang up that way. I just paid and slowly walked away as I felt I was stealing the thing. Reminded me of that TV commercial with the lady screaming "get the car" to her husband and running out. Good times.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
humantyphoon wrote:
That haruhi thing is so true. At first I thought they were trying to be creative but something else is going on. Can someone please explain to me what is happening to our animes.

No, they're honestly just being creative.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
The best deals I got were the TRSI's 10/$50 sales of course and the fact that one of our local Best Buy's were getting rid of their anime and slashed everything to be half off. That Best Buy location already had items below retail cost, so I ended up getting Beck, Ouran, Ghost Hunt, Code Geass, and several others for pretty cheap.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
While I can understand that the moe moe anime is considered "weird" by broadstream Japanese folks (much like the fantasy novels and such here) ... I still find it amusing that there are HUGE advertisements for such shows ... like, the building high posters of moe girls and that kind of thing. Is that limited to Akihabara, though?

Even so, you wouldn't find such broad and ... GIANT advertisement for any niche fanbase here in the US. I don't consider Harry Potter niche, either - it's very mainstream.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
I see people mention CANAAN and other series as "best summer show" but I disagree. The winner is clear already, its in top 50 right now and will stay there, as it's not only the best of summer but best of 2009 as well. I highly doubt that any other series that has came out or is due to come out in Fall can top Bakemonogatari.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
I'm so glad to see that SHAFT has become such a publicly known name these days! Before zetsubou sensei, Shinbo was the most cult of cult favorite directors, but now people are hearing about him! I just hope this leads more people to check out his older work as well!

I'm also very clad someone mentioned the new Cobra! Always good to know it's not forgotten.

I didn't know there was a new season of ZETSUBOU SENSEI--it's one of the few satire comdedies that I really like, other than SOUTH PARK. And Shinbo is one of the few anime directors who I'll watch a show just because it's directed by him.
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
The best deal I got was when I was searching through the used section at FYE and came across the Full Box set of Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok for 11.99. I thought it was a misprint. When it rang up that way. I just paid and slowly walked away as I felt I was stealing the thing. Reminded me of that TV commercial with the lady screaming "get the car" to her husband and running out. Good times.

I remember that feeling. Back in 2005, Amazon had the Last Exile box set (the one with the mousepad and figure) for $28 and free shipping. New, shrinkwrapped, undamaged. The set's bulky with the extras shrinkwrapped to the side of the DVD box, and they probably wanted the space for other stock. Probably.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
But if you then go on and on and talk about your favorite Forgotten Realms novel featuring a Drow

Sounds like someone is (or was) a D&Der. Laughing

Last edited by irishninja on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
Ah, yes, the 13/26 model of distributing a television show. All this started when the FCC came down and said no more product tie-ins with television shows.

Thus, the commercial was born.

Since then, shows were literally produced around this new format. The Japanese television industry took the US method of distribution and has followed since, right down to the increased ad block and smaller content time.

It's going to be an interesting next three years. As ad dollars plummet, networks scramble to get people to watch with their new "less ads" campaigns, and online viewership increasing, what will happen to this thing we call a "channel"?

I'm tingly all over to discover the answer.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
I haven't been keeping up with the new season of Haruhi. Could someone please explain what Endless Eight is?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Ah, yes, the 13/26 model of distributing a television show. All this started when the FCC came down and said no more product tie-ins with television shows.

Which still hasn't removed advertising, not by a long chalk. Think Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Beyblade or Bedaman. Excuse me while I shudder at those last two. Anyway, those sorts of franchises have found ways to turn the entire purpose of the show from a company's point of view away from selling DVDs and towards the lucrative merchandising sales and/or "Official Trading Card Game". Also, we still get plenty of sponsors for each and every Anime out there, some of which have the sponsors' "product" in the show. Nike and Basquash! for example, or Pizza Hut supporting the rebellion (Code Geass for those not in the know).
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
The best deals I ever got on my geek-junk came from assembling my Dreamcast collection- but somehow I don't think that's really appropriate for this column.

I used to land great deals out of Gamestops (when they had DVDs), but I don't remember how much I paid for most of them anymore... I got all 6 Burst Angels singles for $20, and Beck and Kurau vol. 1 for $2 each (Kurau was only a couple months old at the time.) The cashier actually commented that they knew the guy who traded this stuff in, and were a bit miffed that people (like me) kept beating them to the punch buying it. Laughing
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
I can't believe so many people like CANNAN. An ambiguous plot and conveniently missing backstory does not make a good plot. I dropped it after 5 episodes of, "What is going on and who are these people?"
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Which still hasn't removed advertising, not by a long chalk.

I didn't mean to imply advertising is going away. What we will see, eventually, is product tie-in within the show itself.

It's interesting you brought up a line of "kid" shows, as the FCC is now re-evaluating the advertising aimed at children with a proposal to severely limit them. Not sure how far this will go, but this would be a huge hit to bring anime to kids if introduced. Hell, any cartoon for that matter.

Funny thing is, anime advertises indirectly now. How many times have you seen "Polex" on a watch, or "Somy" on an electronic device? Yeah, not too far a leap to start branding. I'm okay with this, truthfully, as it's reality, but more importantly, it removes the stupidity of breaking apart the show to do the same thing.

What I don't want, and will probably see, is how this type of branding can go horribly, horribly wrong. Case in point: The "Stride" episode of Smallville. Wow, talk about a blatant hour-long commercial which pissed off fans royally.

I'm very curious to know why studios don't do in-show branding. Anyone with insight on this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4