• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-08-07]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm curious as to why Anime shows are getting shorter and shorter. While thirteen- and twenty-six-episode series are still common, they aren't nearly as dominant as a few years ago. Shows are no longer thirteen episodes, they are eleven or twelve (or, rarely, fourteen). Full-season shows are anywhere between twenty-two and twenty-seven episodes, with twenty-four being the popular choice. Why is this?

In America cartoons are put up for sixty-five-episode runs; thirteen weeks at one per weekday. That's why Robotech had to scrounge off three shows and not two.

This sounds a bit outdated.
I don't really pay attention to the domestic stuff since my daughter got out of it & I can't even talk to her anymore because she's "raiding, Mom. Can't talk." on Wow all the time, but most of the weekday stuff tends to be syndication packages that I see (the stuff on after I get home from work) & that stuff is packaged in numbers of eps that do start repeating at a certain point. Daytime soap opera-type stuff is designed to fill a slot to sell product (SOAP operas) & it's the same with a lot of the daytime stuff. Made as cheap as possible to fill airtime. The old conventional wisdom was soap actors were paid the least which is why they were dying to get into prime time while those actors were all dying to get into movies because that's where all the cash was.
I assume Japan has the same concept of cheap weekday entertainment like our game shows.

When I was a child in the 60's, we got far more episodes per season of most shows, so that there was no way we'd ever see all the eps repeated, particularly because of the 13-week summer replacement series which were often viewed as testing the water for a title's success. Shows were pretty well expected to start around the same week in September & premiere week was highly touted. Maybe you got repeats around holidays, or more likely the show was pre-empted for a special.
Nowadays we see shows starting different weeks in the fall, run half a dozen eps, repeat some of those eps eps, run some more new eps, to the finale when the show is then repeated for the summer or replaced.
So the 12-13 episode model has existed for decades as the reasonable size for a season (summer). I always assumed Japan just took that model from us.
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I haven't been keeping up with the new season of Haruhi. Could someone please explain what Endless Eight is?

Simple.
The SOS Brigade was trapped in an endless recursion of time.

Then, the SOS Brigade was trapped in an endless recursion of time.

Repeat four more times...that's once for each episode. Seriously.

Or, just google up a translation of Endless Eight straight from the light novels to save yourself about 200 minutes.

Oh, and the best legit deal I found anime-wise...that came courtesy of the Best Buy blowout back in March of course. Complete boxes of Haruhi season 1 for $25 and Cowboy Bebop for $20? Not too shabby.

EDIT: Actually, I take back the above...as good as the Best Buy deals were, they didn't come close to the $15 I spent for the complete Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 series a few years back. I stumbled into a year-end blowout thing that ADV was doing direct from their website. It wasn't a boxset per se...it was the Essential Anime repackaging of this series...three double-disc sets in all, for $5 each. Of course I still had foggy memories of the original BGC OAVs from the early '90s. The earlier incarnation of BGC (distributed by AnimEigo) would have been my preference at the time. But it was still really pricey, and I just couldn't pass up this deal; at the price ADV asked, I figured it was worth a shot. Not only my best anime deal ever, but also my best "blind" buy, in terms of price, overall enjoyment, and the fact that BGC 2040 exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by nagato316 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I may just have to write in the greatest deal I've ever found.

I found Sailor Moon R and Sailor Moon S uncut movies (on VHS) for $2.10 at a Goodwill in Michigan. I screamed in the store. Just may have been the luckiest day of my life.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Aw, no one put down Aoi Hana for their favorite new show of the season? I know it's mine and it's such a lovely show that I was hoping other people liked it.
And put me down as another person who loves the Bargain Bin at TRSI (first Eureka 7 LE. Box for $10 FTW!)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
humantyphoon wrote:
That haruhi thing is so true. At first I thought they were trying to be creative but something else is going on. Can someone please explain to me what is happening to our animes.

No, they're honestly just being creative.

No, they're honestly just trying to be creative...and to rip off fans while they're at it.

True, it's rather amazing that they did new animation for each episode, slightly different each time, rather than just looping the exact same episode. And indeed, if they'd done this only three, maybe four, times, I'd have hailed it as brilliant.

But in terms of story-telling, it is bunk. It is a good idea gone horribly wrong. The story it's taken from is very short, and there isn't some big, secret mystery as to why the time loop is going. People who didn't know the answer were probably banging their heads against the wall when they found out that all it was spoiler[was that Haruhi hadn't really done her homework yet]. I mean.... come on, eight episodes for a payoff like that? It's a terrible idea. And now they barely have any time left in their season for new episodes of other, longer stories.

Indeed, the whole thing really comes across as a way of guaranteeing another season, by covering as a little as possible. I only hope that if the second season gets released in America, that most of these episodes are on one DVD and those of us who can't stand it can all just skip them to save our sanity and let those of you still convinced this is somehow genius buy them for yourselves.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Ha! A Drizzt Do'Urden reference. I used to read those all the time in High School. Although I would recommend A Song of Ice and Fire as the non-mainstream fantay title for nerds nowadays. At least until the HBO pilot premieres.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I can't believe so many people like CANNAN. An ambiguous plot and conveniently missing backstory does not make a good plot. I dropped it after 5 episodes of, "What is going on and who are these people?"

Almost positive you're a troll. Did we watch the same episodes? Missing backstory yes, but just because they don't spell everything out for you does not make it ambiguous. You do start in media res, and since that chaotic first episode, they have steadily expanded the plot every episode. I love the pacing and style, they treat you at least a little bit like in adult in that you have to put the pieces together. If you don't have a grasp of who the characters are by now, you clearly haven't watched the show.

Anywho, I'll have to hold out on this for a little bit. I agree with the writers- Canaan and Bakemonogatari have been my favorite summer shows so far by a good margin (okay, and I am enjoying princess lover a little bit too). Spice and Wolf II is staying pretty solid as well. By the season's end though, I think Umineko will have pulled ahead of the pack. If they keep the adaptation crisp (however, animation will be key), things are about to get 3000% more awesome.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
I see people mention CANAAN and other series as "best summer show" but I disagree. The winner is clear already, its in top 50 right now and will stay there, as it's not only the best of summer but best of 2009 as well. I highly doubt that any other series that has came out or is due to come out in Fall can top Bakemonogatari.

Totally agree with you, just don't like how they keep popping real life images since it really annoys me.
And of course, I thought CANAAN had a great potential and probably still has but from what I've watched so far the plot is moving as fast as a turtle on land.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Dammit! >.< I was JUST about to create a thread in the Retail forum on your latest Answer Fans question...til I read the column!

Not freaking fair! T___T

Also... Canaan is the shit. :3

Seljuk wrote:

Almost positive you're a troll. Did we watch the same episodes? Missing backstory yes, but just because they don't spell everything out for you does not make it ambiguous. You do start in media res, and since that chaotic first episode, they have steadily expanded the plot every episode. I love the pacing and style, they treat you at least a little bit like in adult in that you have to put the pieces together. If you don't have a grasp of who the characters are by now, you clearly haven't watched the show.

Now, I could be wrong...but, to me it sounds an awful lot like you're just fanboy posturing.

I think it's damn fair to say that a dude is allowed to have his opinion without having some bigot ride on the train and accuse him of being a troll just because there's a lack of agreement in the atmosphere. You dudes need to grow up. =/
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The only anime I've been watching lately is Hajime No Ippo (the old one) and it is amazing.

Oh, and Drizzt is awesome by the way. A new book, The Ghost King is coming out soon.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Canaan is the best of the summer shows I've seen so far (noting that I still need to see Tokyo Magnitude), although honestly, I'm not sure that's saying much. It's...alright. It's technically solid across the board, so kudos to them for that, but most of the cast alternately bores or annoys me - it's been pretty easy to tell where they'd be going with the Canaan and Maria relationship (typical "lifetime soldier who has somehow become friends with a regular person" type stuff) and their reactions to each other, not to mention some of their inner-monologue narration, are just eye-rollingly hammy. Still, I'm sticking with this show. I'm hoping they really show me up in the second half.

I do have to mention that either way, the first episode was completely magnificent.

I'd have to say the show I've enjoyed the most this summer is, well...from the spring. When Shin Mazinger Shogeki started, I was honestly hyper-skeptical ("Just where the hell do they plan to go with this show after opening it like that...?"), but I'm glad to say they managed to make me look dumb. It's carried along by a great cast more than anything, not to mention some entertaining background plot reveals. It's, well, also hammy, but infinitely better at getting away with it. Imagawa is a pro at imbuing children's characters and stories with the same dramatic weight as legendary historical figures, after all.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? People in Japan think of anime as for socially-inepts? Is that why there is so many 'mary-sue' anime? I still find that hard to believe. I mean, I'm sure they think the crazy-otaku that walk around with body-pillows, or wearing cat ears are weird, but I didn't think they hated anime that much. It comes from their country.
Also, about the fantasy novels. Yes, it's true Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings is more excepted, you'd be surprised to know how many people like them (they're awesome books by the way), and while Brian, you may a point about not striking a conversation about Forgotten Realms, fantasy novels are more accepted then anime and manga over here. But the reason some people tend to think fantasy is weird is because fantasy novels tend to have non-human creatures like werewolves, vampires, elves, dark elves, dwarves, fairies, leprechauns, demons, and other creatures of folklore. People tend to like to read about humans. You'd be surprised to know that not everyone likes to read about beings with fangs and claws, even if the character is good-looking.

Last edited by Dark Elf Warrior on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrianaTheBard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
As for the romance thing, I'm a big fan of both shounen and shoujo, and everything he said is totally true. Shounen romances take entirely too long, while in shoujo romances they're sexing it up by page 3. Anybody ever heard of Desire Complex? SOOO much drama. I almost have it memorized as to how it rolls out - Man buys young girl for sex, falls in love with girl, girl gets Stockholm Syndrome and falls in love with him, they find out they're brother and sister, decide they don't care, a few sex scenes, find out they're not blood related (adoption or step-siblings,) girl's little brother confesses his undying love for girl...

It makes me wonder just how much the Japanese like incest...
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Canaan is the best of the summer shows I've seen so far (noting that I still need to see Tokyo Magnitude)

Well, I strongly believe Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is the best show this year, leaving CANAAN far in the dust. Indeed, I dropped CANAAN after three episodes due to a stale plot, psychopathic/unsympathetic characters, and most of all the action. Not that the action was bad per se, but boy was it over-hyped.
DPX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Drizzt reference!

Hell yeah!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4