• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A-1 Pictures' Vividred Operation Anime's 1st Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:

PS, Series 1 was better than Series 2 because the delivery was better. Anyone can be given good designs, a good animation crew and plot but it doesn't mean the end result will be any better for it, it needs to be executed properly. Which SW2 wasn't, it was corny and downright cringeworthy at times.

Nice opinions, I enjoyed reading them.
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
punipuniwarrior wrote:

PS, Series 1 was better than Series 2 because the delivery was better. Anyone can be given good designs, a good animation crew and plot but it doesn't mean the end result will be any better for it, it needs to be executed properly. Which SW2 wasn't, it was corny and downright cringeworthy at times.

Nice opinions, I enjoyed reading them.

"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." is not an opinion. But I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of my post.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:
Sarcasm or not, it was a very childish way to dodge the point. You sound like a teenager though so I guess I shouldn't expect much.

The point is that you're complaining about a lack of creativity, which always just comes down to "Why aren't they making anime I'm more interested in". Saying something lacks creativity is just a buzzword that people use to attack these kinds of shows. Something doesn't need "Creativity" to be good, nor should someone who makes these kinds of shows be expected to do something outside of what he likes and knows best.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:

No way. Season 1 was fine and all (though the final bit with the Warlock was pretty terrible), but season 2 had consistently stronger writing, better use of the setting (roman holiday wwww) more variety in characters, better use of the characters, and a far better final arc.

I can't think of a single thing season 1 did better than season 2.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't think of a single thing season 1 did better than season 2

More use of Hironori Tanaka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
I can't think of a single thing season 1 did better than season 2

More use of Hironori Tanaka.

Ok, you got me there, definitely Season 1 wins in that department.
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
punipuniwarrior wrote:
Sarcasm or not, it was a very childish way to dodge the point. You sound like a teenager though so I guess I shouldn't expect much.

The point is that you're complaining about a lack of creativity, which always just comes down to "Why aren't they making anime I'm more interested in". Saying something lacks creativity is just a buzzword that people use to attack these kinds of shows. Something doesn't need "Creativity" to be good, nor should someone who makes these kinds of shows be expected to do something outside of what he likes and knows best.

Creativity is a buzzword? What on earth are you talking about? These kinds of shows? You mean bad shows or shows with fanservice?

Complaining about a lack of creativity does not come down to 'Why aren't they making anime I'm more interested in', not in the slightest.

I hate zombies, never been interested in the fad, same with vampires. But there are creative Zombie movies/anime/books/games/whatever out there, just as much as there are uncreative and boring ones.

There are lots of anime out there I don't like, but I can at least see the level of creative input regardless of how it suits my tastes. I'm not sure where you get this idea that creativity is a buzzword, would you like to expand upon this?

Something doesn't need creativity to be good

Anything that requires an amount of creative process needs creativity to be good, try and make a piece of music with 0 creativity and see how far you get.
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Strike Witches' Takamura directs, designs show of 14-year-old girls protecting Earth

*looks at beginning of video*

yea right, lol. Laughing

That look like they belong to a 14 year old girl,and they're really protecting Earth,why can't you understand?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:

Anything that requires an amount of creative process needs creativity to be good, try and make a piece of music with 0 creativity and see how far you get.

Thats not what he was talking about.

A show doesn't have to be the most new and inventive anything to be good, it just has to be well executed.

The most acclaimed show of the last few years is, fundamentally, just a dark magical girl story. Nothing particularly groundbreaking with that. It was just fantastically well executed.

I don't think Vividred Operation will break any new barriers, but it looks like its a solid production, helmed by people who enjoy making this sort of show.

What, precisely, is wrong with that? Why is that so many people around here can't seem to contribute anything but hate for shows that don't interest them? It should be obvious on its face if this show doesn't interest you, so why come in and rant about its existence? If it doesn't interest you, why even bother commenting?
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
punipuniwarrior wrote:

Thats not what he was talking about.

A show doesn't have to be the most new and inventive anything to be good, it just has to be well executed.

The most acclaimed show of the last few years is, fundamentally, just a dark magical girl story. Nothing particularly groundbreaking with that. It was just fantastically well executed.

I don't think Vividred Operation will break any new barriers, but it looks like its a solid production, helmed by people who enjoy making this sort of show.

What, precisely, is wrong with that? Why is that so many people around here can't seem to contribute anything but hate for shows that don't interest them? It should be obvious on its face if this show doesn't interest you, so why come in and rant about its existence? If it doesn't interest you, why even bother commenting?

I'd disagree that Madoka was anything but overrated, but that's another story.

I think you're missing the point here and I think someone has maybe wronged you in the past and you are choosing to take this out on everyone who shares that person's opinion. Newsflash: People are not all the same, and one person's dislike may come from a completely different angle to another. Being a fan of anime isn't a simple matter of love it or hate it, some of us are actually very interested in every aspect and we like to discuss that. So please step aside if all you care about is your silly Haters vs Fanboys war, some of us don't judge by appearances alone.

First of all, this is a comments area - we are allowed an encouraged to post our point of view; positive or negative.

Second of all, this is precisely the problem. The Strike Witches franchise has just come to an end and immediately they are making an extremely similar copycat show to fill the void. Why? Sure, by all means make a similar series in 10 years time, (Look at Stellvia/Mouretsu Pirates) but when you immediately try to fill the shoes of your successful franchise it shows nothing but a complete lack of creativity and imagination. 'Oh that worked, so we'll do it again'; that is an excuse, not inspiration or creativity and the fact that they can do it so blatantly without even changing much on the exterior is an insult to your intelligence really, how can you judge what is good and what isn't good when you treat anime like something to consume and condemn those who don't mindlessly consume along with you?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:

Second of all, this is precisely the problem. The Strike Witches franchise has just come to an end

Err...Strike Witches has not, by any stretch of the imagination, "come to an end".

Quote:
how can you judge what is good and what isn't good when you treat anime like something to consume and condemn those who don't mindlessly consume along with you?

Easy. I'm going to watch it.

See? You can't say jack shit about the quality of the show, because you haven't watched it. In fact no one has watched it. So any opinions on its quality are, quite frankly, pulled straight out of your ass.

I'm not afraid to say a shitty show is shitty, have you seen my opinions on SAO or Gundam AGE? But you know what? I ACTUALLY WATCHED THEM TO FORM THOSE OPINIONS.

So, in say 5 months, how about we reconvene and compare notes on Vividred Operation, when we actually have something to on...such as the actual show.
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
punipuniwarrior wrote:

Second of all, this is precisely the problem. The Strike Witches franchise has just come to an end

Err...Strike Witches has not, by any stretch of the imagination, "come to an end".

Quote:
how can you judge what is good and what isn't good when you treat anime like something to consume and condemn those who don't mindlessly consume along with you?

Easy. I'm going to watch it.

See? You can't say jack shit about the quality of the show, because you haven't watched it. In fact no one has watched it. So any opinions on its quality are, quite frankly, pulled straight out of your ass.

I'm not afraid to say a shitty show is shitty, have you seen my opinions on SAO or Gundam AGE? But you know what? I ACTUALLY WATCHED THEM TO FORM THOSE OPINIONS.

So, in say 5 months, how about we reconvene and compare notes on Vividred Operation, when we actually have something to on...such as the actual show.

I give everything a try, but I've been watching enough anime for a long enough period of time to know when something is a copycat money spinner. It's not about jumping to conclusions or pulling things from anyone's behind; it's just years of experience. SW is over, the franchise has reached its peak, if you've been watching anime for long enough you'd have seen this pattern a million times now. Series -> Series -> Movie -> End, it's not rocket science and you'd have to be very naive to think the writers want to dazzle you with more of their great ideas that just happen to be extremely similar by sheer coincidence.

It always happens, this has been a trend in anime for the past 5-6 years or so.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:
Second of all, this is precisely the problem. The Strike Witches franchise has just come to an end and immediately they are making an extremely similar copycat show to fill the void. Why? Sure, by all means make a similar series in 10 years time, (Look at Stellvia/Mouretsu Pirates) but when you immediately try to fill the shoes of your successful franchise it shows nothing but a complete lack of creativity and imagination. 'Oh that worked, so we'll do it again'; that is an excuse, not inspiration or creativity and the fact that they can do it so blatantly without even changing much on the exterior is an insult to your intelligence really, how can you judge what is good and what isn't good when you treat anime like something to consume and condemn those who don't mindlessly consume along with you?

And why is it bad to give people what they want? These kinds of shows have significant fanbases, so they want more of the same. Making a "Creative" show that doesn't have as much of a fanbase is just a middle finger to the Strike Witches fanbase. They don't care about some artsy drama show or whatever you have in mind, they want more little girls who wear barely any clothes.

Supply and demand. You supply what people want if there is a demand for it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
punipuniwarrior wrote:

I give everything a try, but I've been watching enough anime for a long enough period of time to know when something is a copycat money spinner. It's not about jumping to conclusions or pulling things from anyone's behind; it's just years of experience. SW is over, the franchise has reached its peak, if you've been watching anime for long enough you'd have seen this pattern a million times now. Series -> Series -> Movie -> End, it's not rocket science and you'd have to be very naive to think the writers want to dazzle you with more of their great ideas that just happen to be extremely similar by sheer coincidence.

It always happens, this has been a trend in anime for the past 5-6 years or so.

Stop talking to me like I don't know what I'm talking about, I've been doing this for more than just a few years myself.

Regardless, it doesn't make a goddamn bit of difference, as long as the show is good. Who [expletive] cares if its a "ripoff" as long as it fulfills that obligation? If I only watched deep, original, groundbreaking works, I wouldn't be watching much of anything at all.

What you are going on about is some platonic ideal, which is never actually reached, and as such is completely meaningless.

You know nothing about Vividred, other than it has many of the same staff as Strike Witches (but also a bunch that are different) and has the vaguely similar concept of "girls fighting in the sky".

We don't know the setting, we don't know the enemies, we don't know the general setup of hte plot, and jus basically we don't know anything about it.

But you, YOU. Have already decided its nothing more than a ripoff cash-grab by...someone, you haven't even decided who (do you know who's on the Vividred production comittee? Are they the same people as on Strike Witches?) because obviously they could be doing...something else. You don't know what, just...something!

Your argument is baseless. All I've stated is that it interests me, and really, the only opinions you can rationally have on the show right now are "It interests me" or "it doesn't interest me". Anything more than that is provided with no basis. Even looking at the staff won't tell you much, because high-quality staff has produced shit, and virtual unknowns have produced great work.

So yeah, this discussion can go nowhere of use until we have actual information past the names of the characters and their designs.
punipuniwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Stop talking to me like I don't know what I'm talking about, I've been doing this for more than just a few years myself.

You say you know what you're talking about. Yet you say there is no indication that this is a cash cow?

So really, you don't know what you're talking about because you clearly know nothing about A-1 Productions, Aniplex, Kadokawa Shouten or ASCII Mediaworks.

Question: Do you get all your news from Animenewsnetwork?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4