• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Play Arts Reimi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If I don't sound that excited, I promise it's more after a careful examination of the toy than my disinterest in non-Final Fantasy RPGs (which is oddly considerable; I own both Fable II and Fallout 3 and made it about two hours into both of them).

J-RPGs have made it hard for me to appreciate Western RPGs- I have Oblivion about 5 hours in, untouched since I first tried it. There's just something about JRPGs that's...better.

The only game figure I could get excited over right now is a Persona 4 Naoto, and I'd be pretty pleased if it looked as good as Reimi. I'd be pleased that one existed at all, really.
Geddoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
That's really what makes me sad about Star Ocean. Squaresoft was the worst thing to happen to that series. The first two were great games, but even though when Til the End of Time came out, everyone was all, "OMG, pretty!", the gameplay and battle system went down the drain. They kinda made up for it by relaxing the combo limits and changing up the system in 'The Last Hope', but imo, the damage has been done, and we'll never see the glory days of SO and SO:TSS again. Sad

But that is a nicely detailed figure, even for its flaws.

Ahh. You do know that Square Enix (not Squaresoft btw) ONLY published the Star Ocean series. So whatever damage has been done is thanks to tri-Ace and tri-Ace only. Since they're the developer of said series.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:
Here's what Reimi's character art looks like from the game:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bgZDaihSR3U/SJsxN_57WXI/AAAAAAAABIA/tKIv4GelOQQ/s1600-h/so4_reimi.png

The toy is pretty spot on.

Really? I see a uniform with a lot of extra white, and hair that's both too red and too big to really match. The only difference is now the face size is justified. (I don't even think the eyes look right, unless the figure is supposed to look mildly surprised.)

No matter how you slice it, it's just not quite on.

John casey wrote:
Still though...dude, that's like, as insignificant as a cosmetic change gets.

Agreed, completely- and a lousy justification for a sub-par toy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah so now you look at Star Ocean LH's figures. I can't say they made any breakthroughs as far as in-game designs go. As for the figure, it pertains more to the anime art the mangaka did for the game.
Starbug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Still though...dude, that's like, as insignificant as a cosmetic change gets.

You forget to mention that the reviewer uses the new CG as a comparison for the character itself thus it is significant because the maker is using the original character design as a basis for the figure itself and not the new CG design which we see in the US release version.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Geddoe wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
That's really what makes me sad about Star Ocean. Squaresoft was the worst thing to happen to that series. The first two were great games, but even though when Til the End of Time came out, everyone was all, "OMG, pretty!", the gameplay and battle system went down the drain. They kinda made up for it by relaxing the combo limits and changing up the system in 'The Last Hope', but imo, the damage has been done, and we'll never see the glory days of SO and SO:TSS again. Sad

But that is a nicely detailed figure, even for its flaws.

Ahh. You do know that Square Enix (not Squaresoft btw) ONLY published the Star Ocean series. So whatever damage has been done is thanks to tri-Ace and tri-Ace only. Since they're the developer of said series.

Well, considering that Squaresoft and Enix used to be two separate companies, and who's gonna be paying for the production of said title. The first two were developed by tri-Ace and funded/published by Enix. After Squaresoft merged with Enix, they took over all their licenses. And you can distinctly see the influence that has had in how tri-Ace develops the games, now that they have the FF overlords watching over their shoulders. You can't tell me that going from an open battle system to a rigid action turn-based one was a random decision by tri-Ace and not a "suggestion" that couldn't be ignored from their new publisher. And I'd venture a guess that the dismal reviews by hardcore series fans of SOTET's battle system "upgrades" is why it was relaxed, and they eliminated that stupid connection between special moves and your HP, which seems to have been put in place solely to keep people from abusing thier special attacks. There was so much wrong with the battle system in that game, and it's fairly evident it was caused by trying to force a mash-up of an FF-style battle system with the open fighting of the SO system.
Hence, "Squaresoft", pre-merger, was the worst thing to happen to the franchise, as I originally said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2