• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Film Strip Auction Ends at US$13,600

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I don't think those who are buying these film strips at auction, are buying them for their intrinsic value.

I am not sure but don't they destroy much of the film reels when they are no longer needed. Also, doesn't the move to Digital significantly reduce the amount of actual film reels out there also.

if you have money to burn, 13k doesn't matter. This is no different than people pay 10k for couple Super Bowl tickets. OR millions on some baseball cards, Stamps.

My guess is the person who bought it probably don't miss that 13k.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
I don't think those who are buying these film strips at auction, are buying them for their intrinsic value.

I am not sure but don't they destroy much of the film reels when they are no longer needed. Also, doesn't the move to Digital significantly reduce the amount of actual film reels out there also.

if you have money to burn, 13k doesn't matter. This is no different than people pay 10k for couple Super Bowl tickets. OR millions on some baseball cards, Stamps.

My guess is the person who bought it probably don't miss that 13k.

I'm arguing that it is different, because those stamps and cards will always be worth at least a good amount when you go to sell it decades down the road, because they can be appraised at such an amount. The hottest anime for the last year will fade and devalue eventually, as will the number of buyers continually narrow. Maybe it will be another Evangelion in merchandising strength, but we can only know that come 2024. This film strip might hold some incredible importance for a few fans, but what could someone appraise its actually market value at beyond sentimentality and fan fervor? They can spend however much they want on whatever, but it's pretty much only going to remain a piece of film to anyone else.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, there sure are some rich otakus out there.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
Either that or a generous line of credit(which is more likely, methinks).
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
I have feeling that closing price is more of a frenzy than calculated risk.

I have 2 film strips from Evangelion 1.0 movie. One from the DVD and other from the tome. They're not from famous scene, so I don't think people will go head over heel for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2