• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Can't Fight Fate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
ryukage wrote:
Here are some of my picks for servants:
Berserker- William Wallace
Caster- Nikola Tesla
Saber (the strongest class)- King Leonidas

I and a friend at work who likes Type-Moon stuff got to talking about this one day - the question was, "If we were going to cast a Fate story in America, and feature a cast of 'American Heroes', who would you pick for each role?"

Nikola Tesla was totally our Caster! Here's what else we came up with...

Saber - Jim Bowie
Assassin - John Wilkes Booth (Option B: Second Gunman on the Grassy Knoll)
Lancer - Neil Armstrong (he lanced all the way to the moon, then pierced it with an American flag spear!)
Rider - Rosa Parks
Archer - Billy the Kid (or Wyatt Earp, or Annie Oakley; the general idea was a classic old-west gunslinger)
Berserker - Old Yeller

We wanted to have a Native American hero in there, but to be honest, I don't know much about their legendary fighters. Nothing a bit of research wouldn't solve, I'm sure (if we ever had reason to make an updated list).

So yeah...totally water-cooler talk, right there.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Tsuki_no_Karasu wrote:
Basically instead of a malexmale pair, having a malexfemale pair is both more exciting and enjoyable for the reader.

I wouldn't have minded the former... Cool
Nerroth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that Fate/Extra CCC will not be too late in the PSP's life cycle for the game to be given at least a PSN-only release by Aksys at some point; especially if it gets the same kind of Vita support that the first F/E already has.

(CCC is said to be the "far side" to the original F/E's "near side"; presumably set in a further corner of the inter-dimensional off-ramp that sets the Extraverse aside from the F/SN timelines.)

Actually, I wonder if Extra (in either flavour) might be considered for an anime adaptation at some point. There's already a manga adaptation (using the male protagonist paired with Red Saber); though any of the combinations available in the original and/or in CCC could be up for consideration, perhaps.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Beized wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

>implying Arthurian Legend isn't highly fetishized already

Are you implying it is? I mean, yeah, there's a lot of sex, but it's usually in there to cause trouble for someone, not to titillate the reader.

There's the whole Castle Anthrax episode.

I do not believe Castle Anthrax was in Le Morte d'Arthur (the Killer Rabbit of course was in it)
gerbilx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I usually love your articles, but this was painfully uninformed. I'm used to you writing on topics that you're exceptionally knowledgeable about, but this was less substantial than a Wikipedia skimming. Now, before anyone asks, I do love the Fate franchise, especially F/SN and it's examination of heroism, but I'd like to think that that's not biasing me.

Anywho, if you don't have any qualms about applying an unofficial translation patch, you can quite easily buy a legitimate copy from J-List.

http://www.jlist.com/product/PCG0142

I have copies of F/SN, F/HA, and Witch on the Holy Night all bought from J-List. The price is indeed high, but it's not like it's unavailable. Try it if you like.

Ah, and if no one has yet mentioned it, most Tsukihime fans severely dislike the anime. Moreso than F/SN fans dislike that story's anime. Maybe you might consider this excessive, but if you are able to sympathize, say with FMA manga (or most any other series, really) fans who got upset at how the first series turned out, you should be able to understand why people tell you to read the VN. Not that I disliked the first FMA series myself. ~o~
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I find this mentioning of a Tsukihime anime to be somewhat disturbing.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, Fate/Stay Night... *looks at "Fate" folder icon at corner screen. proceeds to sigh*

Close to this time last year, I was very interested in the possibility of seeing Fate/Zero largely due to it being something written by Urobuchi (man, what a long Madoka high that was....). But I wanted a "proper" start to the series, and it seemed hard to find a "proper start"-- I've heard mediocre things about the anime series (and it looked that way too, going by the bland technical/artistic merits of those first few episodes), and it was recommended by Veers that even going through someone else's VN play-through wouldn't be enough. (Kinda surprised I haven't seen him in this thread yet, by the way.)

He was able to put me in touch with some mighty big .rar files that more or less constituted the entire voiced VN, translation patches included, and after getting and fiddling around with Wine on my Macbook, it seemed that I was able to run most of it.... except nothing but blinking text rectangles appear where the text is supposed to be. Same result was gotten when I tried opening the .exe after reading this article. Grr. I'll either need to get to asking around about that, or just get Windows 7 installed through bootcamp, 'cause I think I really want to see more of Urobuchi's stuff... especially since even Mike himself likens to experiencing Fate/Zero before Fate/Stay Night to watching the Star Wars movies in chronological order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
He was able to put me in touch with some mighty big .rar files that more or less constituted the entire voiced VN, translation patches included, and after getting and fiddling around with Wine on my Macbook, it seemed that I was able to run most of it.... except nothing but blinking text rectangles appear where the text is supposed to be.

Your Mac probably doesn't recognize Japanese fonts. Here's a guy explaining how to get vns running on Macbook. He has a section about it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Honestly, what the &**& does it matter that Saber is based on a legendary figure that most believe is male?

It's weird, nonsensical, strange, obscure, stupid, takes nothing from legend, gives nothing to the story and should make anyone familiar with any knight story {from sword/scabbards to jousting to even slaying dragons with a lance like St. George, there's more phalic symbology there than you can shake a, well, shake a stick at} shake their head.

Honestly, it's like the writers confused France and England somehow. Hmm, she does kind of act like a fourteen year old maiden would act rather than a supposed king...
Hedd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
I am Counter Force and I approve this article.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Interesting article. I'm sort of just getting into the Fate franchise. I only became familiar with the series through Tsukihime first. While many dislike the anime because it wasn't done justice, it was my first introduction to the world that Type-Moon would create. I did enjoy Tsukihime for what little it was, but eventually I found myself wanting to know more. By the time F/SN came out I immediately recognized their signature style of designs and I knew that whatever they did it had to be good. For what I got out of the F/SN universe was from the anime as a start. From many of the vlogs I read again it seemed that there were many fans out there that would critique how the series missed all the key elements found in the visual novels.

"Visual novels? Oh yeah...riiiiight"

I'm like hey, I don't have access to VNs, and for now this is about as interesting as it gets. I enjoyed the series. I was accustom to their art style. The story was intriguing and I liked the characters. But later after watching the series, I ventured out to get some insight on the show. I wanted to know a little more about the history behind the work. I eventually came across a site called the 'Moonlit World'. They're still around. A pretty thorough site on the world of anything Type-Moon. I never imagined that the stories of Tsukihime and F/SN were so much more fleshed out and complex despite the erotic overtones. And F/SN was even more complex. I had to commend the person for putting the time and effort into making a site. Talk about dedication. But I was even more amazed that 2 guys could come up with such ideas and create a successful business. I would put them on my list of favorites and follow any projects they would do in the future.

With the arrival of Fate/Zero, I'm kind of surprised that they guys at Type-Moon would trust someone else creating a prequel for them that has the ability of remaining cannon with the overall franchise. When I heard about it I was a little skeptical with the designs, but they are sort of growing on me. Plus, hearing about Gen Urobuchi's talents (after writing Puella Magi Madoka Magica and the release of Kara no Kyoukai, which I really, really wanted to own so I bought it), I'm now inclined to consider checking out F/0. I didn't even know that he was responsible for the 'Phantom' game or the anime. I've actually watched that. It was no surprise when he put it in Koichi Mashimo, of Noir fame's hands.

We've had instructors who teach anime in their courses. Some of which (well, one or two actually) recommend some shows that display strong elements of storytelling. I would love to be able to recommend a series from Type-Moon namely because their work is excellent and well constructed enough that students and instructors alike could look at their work as a study in the same way they have done for Evangelion.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Honestly, what the &**& does it matter that Saber is based on a legendary figure that most believe is male?

It's weird, nonsensical, strange, obscure, stupid, takes nothing from legend, gives nothing to the story and should make anyone familiar with any knight story {from sword/scabbards to jousting to even slaying dragons with a lance like St. George, there's more phalic symbology there than you can shake a, well, shake a stick at} shake their head.

Honestly, it's like the writers confused France and England somehow. Hmm, she does kind of act like a fourteen year old maiden would act rather than a supposed king...

Actually, it does take stuff from the legend, and does ad to the story. It's kind of hard to debate points like whether it is "weird" or not, but I find your apparent assertion that because some knight stories contain phallic metaphors female knights shouldn't exist to be completely laughable. Maybe that's not the point you were trying to make, but it certainly sounded like that to me.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
and it was recommended by Veers that even going through someone else's VN play-through wouldn't be enough. (Kinda surprised I haven't seen him in this thread yet, by the way.)

That's because I don't really read this column regularly, but the title caught my eye today Razz

If I had arrived earlier, though, what new is there to say? Mike's friends that he paraphrases are right. Laughing

I maintain that "interesting" really is the best adjective for Fate/ and with Stay-Night especially. I don't think the anime tells a good story because it tries to adapt too much material. Despite the length (too long) and padding (too much) and eroticism (doesn't even make sense except in Heaven's Feel) of the VN and the fact that I'll never read it again, if you are honestly interested in FSN, anything but the VN experience is, like Ojamajo LimePie was getting at, simply doing it wrong. It's an interesting concept with an interesting execution. The VN is worth the experience for those interested in the story.

Chrno2 wrote:
With the arrival of Fate/Zero, I'm kind of surprised that they guys at Type-Moon would trust someone else creating a prequel for them that has the ability of remaining cannon with the overall franchise.

Nasu and Urobuchi are buddies.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
and it was recommended by Veers that even going through someone else's VN play-through wouldn't be enough.

If you can't play the VN, I'd say the LP is still better than the anime. The player was nice enough to include all the music cues for each segment and videos for important scenes.
_Archer_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

With the arrival of Fate/Zero, I'm kind of surprised that they guys at Type-Moon would trust someone else creating a prequel for them that has the ability of remaining cannon with the overall franchise.

There are two reasons for this: One, Nasu is a huge Gen Urobochi fan. Two: Nasu practically wrote the whole story for him. He created the world and major plot points when he made FSN, Gen just filled in the outline. In fact, Nasu wanted Gen to help him write FSN back when he was working on it and got sick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6