• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ponyo Off a Cliff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
As long as Ponyo at least beats Dragonball Evolution's opening weekend domestic box office performance, I'll be happy.

That's not exactly setting the expectations bar too high.

Personally, it's my favourite film that Miyazaki has made since Porco Rosso, but I prefer his simpler, straightforward stuff, with Kiki's Delivery Service being my absolute favourite Ghibli film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Am I seriously the only person that claims Howl's Moving Castle as their favorite movie? I didn't think it was that bad; I thought the movie was extremely sweet and well-done, and was easily sat through in one go. XP And yes, I read the book, although I read it after I watched the movie, and enjoy both of them for what they are.

Anyway, excellent podcast. Looking forward to the next one. ^^
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, thanks for including a time index, by the way.

I don't bother with any podcast longer than a few minutes that doesn't give me a rough indication of where the content of interest to me actually starts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypersoda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Saw Ponyo today. I liked it quite a bit. Like everyone said, not the best, but still good.

Also, anyone else get a free poster when they went to see it?
LavenderAna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Am I seriously the only person that claims Howl's Moving Castle as their favorite movie? I didn't think it was that bad; I thought the movie was extremely sweet and well-done, and was easily sat through in one go. XP And yes, I read the book, although I read it after I watched the movie, and enjoy both of them for what they are.

I wouldn't call Howl's my favorite Miyazaki and/or Ghibli film, but I still enjoyed it. Visually, I thought it was gorgeous, and while the plot was kind of a mish-mash, it did have good moments and I didn't have too hard a time figuring out what was going on (in the dub at least). As they said in the podcast, there was a good movie in there somewhere).

I'm looking forward to seeing Ponyo, even if it isn't Ghibli's best. I'd like it to do better than some of the other kids' movies out now, like Bandslam and G-Force, but that's not going to happen Sad

I'm surprised no one said Princess Tutu is their favorite magical girl show. It's definitely one of the better ones.

Anyway, so far so good with ANNCast! Really looking forward to the next one Smile
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Not generally a podcast listener (except for This American Life), but that was pretty fun. My husband enjoyed it as well, so it looks like I might actually listen pretty regularly.

It was nice to hear some actual criticism of Miyazaki. I'm usually given such strange looks because I simply do not like most of his films. Now granted, I don't like the ones that even the ANNCast crew love (thus far, I've only liked Castle of Cagliostro, although I agree that the Nausicaa manga was phenomenal), but still, it was nice to hear less-than-stellar reviews of his films.

That being said, I still fully intended to see all of his films that have been brought over. I'm a firm believer in not criticizing something I haven't already seen to completion. My Neighbor Totoro is currently sitting on my shelf from Netflix, and I think Howl's Moving Castle is swiftly making its way up my queue.

I'll probably continue to struggle with some of the more immature/crass humor (just not my thing, but there wasn't that much of it anyway), but as long as the dialogue maintains its overall quality, I think I'll continue to enjoy it for some time to come.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I decided to try this out and listen to it. I ended up hearing the whole show and now I know I've got yet another feature on ANN to obsess over~! Anime hyper
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
My favorite Ghibli Movies, in order, are Whisper of the Heart, and then Nausicaä. Whisper resonated heavily with me. And Nausicaä was just this magical film. Which is why I put Spirited Away a close third.

By the way guys, Ponyo did get prime time network advertisement time. I saw ads on both CBS and NBC this week from 5-11.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roesnail

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
saw ponyo and i think that he needs to retire. the magic was fading away on howl, and is completly gone on ponyo. his son made a better film than his last two.

laputa>mononoke>porko>kiki>tortoro>nausica>spirited away>lupin>howls>ponyo
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
Good podcast, at least better than RightStuf's, which I could never get into for some reason.

I also have an appreciation for non-Miyazaki Ghibli like Omoide Poro Poro (probalby 3rd most favorite). But I do love Miyazaki's works too, favorites being Nausicaa and Kiki's Delivery Service.

More testicle references next time please.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
I have to agree on the remakes. One of my favorite movies is The Adolescence of Utena. It took the show in a different direction spoiler[Utena turning into a car...well..that SURE didn't happen in the series] Also the first series of Eva movies defiantly gave the series a fresh, and even more acid-trip like feel. I didn't know however the new Eva movies were so different. I stopped after about 10 minutes in when I saw it was EXACTLY like the series with nicer animation. I was pissed and wasn't going to waste my time...so now I might just fast forward to the end to see what you said happens.

When it comes to Miyazaki films I actually have two categories and a different favorite for each. I'm fairly young (in college) so for me I still have memorizes of watching Kiki's Delivery Service on disney when I was 10 or 11 (around the time I was into sailor moon on toonami) So most of the other, more adult miyazaki films I hadn't really known of nor put as high as I did Kiki...and even watching it now just gives me a certain feeling on nostalgia, so that's why it's the top in it's own category (I'm sure we all have those) And I KNOW it was DIRECTED BY MIYAZAKI....but I LOVE Sherlock Hound...it was truly my first anime. I got a VHS of it when I was very little and because it doesn't look like an anime I had no idea it was until a few years ago. So that's on my list too. And for the ones I watched later than that as you mentioned Nassica and Mononoke were AMAZING and to deserve the highest degree of recognition among his films. I'm seeing Ponyo tomorrow, but I agree...this movie hasn't been advertised that much...I've seen a few commercials here and there but hardly anyone is talking about it.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
I like the new FMA better, because I loved the manga first. I hated what the first series did to the art and story, and love that the new series is sticking with it. That's what makes FMA great IMO, and nothing needs to be added.

This has nothing to do with being open-minded about adaptations. Of course anime and film are different media from print. Anyone who compares the two versions of The Shining (movie and miniseries) knows that line by line adaptations don't work as well. There have to be things cut out and reformatted and expressed in different ways.

But the old /new FMA is a different situation. The first made up story that had nothing to do with the original, to no good end (IMO). Why do that when the original had it all there to begin with? That's just a writer thinking he's better than the source material, not someone molding the old material into something that works on screen.

I think part of the problem may be that many people don't like to re-read and re-watch things. They need new things thrown in their faces to appreciate a story a second time around. Me, I can find new things of interest in good stories every time I read or watch them. I don't need these to be artificially created by someone else. Discovering new facets is part of the joy of experiencing a good work of art.

It stands to reason that if you fell in love with the first series with the diverging storyline than you're not going to like the new one. The folks I know online who started out as FMA manga fans are thrilled with this new series though. I never bought the original, but I'm sure going to buy the new one. I can't wait for the DVDs.

Re: Ponyo, I've seen it twice now, once subbed, and last night in the theatre. It's such a magical movie about family and love, really it's a song of childhood. Either people can appreciate that or they can't. I don't know if it's my favorite Miyazaki. Like Bamboo, I have this soft spot for The Cat Returns, another movie where he captured the same feelings.

I think many people equate serious or darker issues with meaning a higher quality piece of anime, but that's a mistake people make throughout the art world. It's just as difficult to skillfully show joy and love and childlike innocence and imagination, perhaps even harder since angst is so easy to create. Is the lesson that life sucks so much more valuable than that life can be filled with hope and happiness if you learn to approach it the right way? I think the world would be a better place were the latter message more valued. A film can be great for being hopeful and joyful, and Ponyo does that on a level I've seldom seen.

Edited for a typo.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'll sound silly, but I never expected either Zac's or Justin's voices to sound quite like that; I've always had different impressions. Now reading their columns or forum posts will be more interesting to me from now on.

Apparently, if you're an adult but don't have children, then you would have to have a child inside of you to appreciate Ponyo, so I know I won't have any problem with watching and enjoying it on my own.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
I like the 'menu' of the show with times and titles, because i skipped the parts that didn't interested me.

BTW Zack, how can one contact you?, I have a lot of entries for the Encyclopedia, but I rather send it than put it there myself. Mr. Green
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the comments concerning remakes, especially those towards direct adaptations of manga series. In the case of Fullmetal Alchemist, I know I'm not alone in thinking that the manga's storyline is more interesting than the one in the original TV series. Not to say that the latter is bad, but it's different. I got the impression that the speakers weren't aware of FMA canon--in fact, the criticism made mentioned nothing about what the diverging storyline brought to the table. Sure, there was comparison done between episodes with the same plotlines between series, but what about the new stuff? How do you feel about that? There's also the matter of art direction, which wasn't taken into account.

And it's not that a remake has to follow the original panel by panel--direction is everything. A director can bring creativity to a series without having to change much of the story. Why is it "mediocre" to follow the intent of a manga writer? Isn't it their vision that's being adapted? People say same things if a film adaptation of a well-written novel series is different too.

Another recent example by Bones is Soul Eater. The anime series started off well enough, but when it diverged from the manga it just turned into a complete mess. Loose plot threads were left hanging, characters were forgotten, and everything was tied up in the most cheap way possible. I don't think many would disagree if I were to say that the manga series is significantly better in all aspects.

I guess this is a podcast and the viewpoints of just a few people, but I would have liked to see a dissenting opinion instead of three reviewers that agreed on everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6