• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ponyo Off a Cliff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Something I should correct Bamboo Dong on, they couldn't have started FMA Brotherhood at the introduction of the Xing characters

Yeah, I made that point earlier, too.

Amazingly, I've actually heard the "start from the intro of the Xingese" suggestion from people who have actually been reading the manga. Boggles the mind.

That's more people who have read the manga, know what the plot changes are, and just want to get to the story faster. They don't care about people finding out about the real version of Fullmetal Alchemist.
SoSB.Haruhi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
I agree with charred knight!

People who liked the first adaptation of FMA should watch Soul Eater. They would find both animes awesome with lame endings. The first FMA end so abruptly leaving a lot unexplained, even the movie left a lot of strings still loose. I was disappointed, but then I read the manga and went OMG this is the bomb. The first adaptation has nothing on the Brotherhood.

And can u guys stop calling FMA brotherhood a remake, because it is not a remake. It is a true adaptation, minus first episode. Another thing, if Peter Jackson decided when he was making LOTR he would deviate from the book, I bet you would object. Oh, wait maybe Jackson can tell stories better than Tolken, the greatest English novelist of the 20th century. People watch adaptations not because they want to see something different, they want to see it as accurately as possible. Just ask any narutard

Oh and ask any real FMA fan (not those who watched the 52 episodes one and think they are FMA fans), but those who read the manga, because they love it.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
SoSB.Haruhi wrote:
People who liked the first adaptation of FMA should watch Soul Eater. They would find both animes awesome with lame endings. The first FMA end so abruptly leaving a lot unexplained, even the movie left a lot of strings still loose. I was disappointed, but then I read the manga and went OMG this is the bomb. The first adaptation has nothing on the Brotherhood.

And can u guys stop calling FMA brotherhood a remake, because it is not a remake. It is a true adaptation, minus first episode. Another thing, if Peter Jackson decided when he was making LOTR he would deviate from the book, I bet you would object. Oh, wait maybe Jackson can tell stories better than Tolken, the greatest English novelist of the 20th century. People watch adaptations not because they want to see something different, they want to see it as accurately as possible. Just ask any narutard

Oh and ask any real FMA fan (not those who watched the 52 episodes one and think they are FMA fans), but those who read the manga, because they love it.
If you knew how the FMA manga would end while the first FMA anime adaptation was still airing, could you done a better job and making an ending that's true to the manga, even though it was an adaptation? Or you just didn't like it ended, even though it did ran 52 episodes as per scheduled?

You tried to compare anime adaptation to movie adaptation is like comparing a Japanese hybrid to an American monster truck, two different beasts with completely different goals. Just ask any movie fan.

I read the FMA manga, and I still don't like the "remake" of FMA anime that's shooting for a closer adaptation to the original manga. Just because fans like you, who shares the same mentality as narutard fans, demands it. And thus take away anime creativity.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist should be about hope, always trying to reach your goals even when life tries to stop you.

In the anime Ed gives up, he stops trying to suceed, and because of that he abandons his friends and loves one.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist should be about hope, always trying to reach your goals even when life tries to stop you.

In the anime Ed gives up, he stops trying to suceed, and because of that he abandons his friends and loves one.

Lol wut? The first series was about that, too. Ed never gave up in the series. Where are you even getting this?

Now you're just trolling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Lol wut? The first series was about that, too. Ed never gave up in the series. Where are you even getting this?

Now you're just trolling.

Why does he stay in the other dimension?

He gives up trying to get back up, he gives up being with Winry.

If you put the manga version of Edward in that situation, no way does he stay, he finds a way back home.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Why does he stay in the other dimension?

He gives up trying to get back up, he gives up being with Winry.

If you put the manga version of Edward in that situation, no way does he stay, he finds a way back home.

First of all, you may want to use spoiler tags.

If you're talking about the movie, which is on shakier ground than the series, you may have a point.

spoiler[However, with both him and Al reuinted in our world, there's really no reason for him to return. Return to a world where human lives are used for alchemy? Plus, he and Al are on a mission to seek out the uranium bomb that insane guy from the beginning of the film brought over.

They never really cultivated any romance between him and Winry, anyway. The feelings were sort of there, but I'm glad it didn't go beyond that. Winry is strong enough to live her own life without Edward. It's not necessary to pair everyone up who grew up together. It's one of the reasons the EdxWinry bits in the manga are so annoying. FMA doesn't really need that to be good.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the alternate dimension is spoiler[our world, and the Uranium Bomb was obviously never found, probably means that Ed gave up within 2 hours. Unless you honestly want me to believe that Ed found a nuke, and then somehow disposed of the nuke. Which doesn't make any sense. It's not like you can hide a nuclear bomb in your closet.]

Then again we are talking about a movie that spoiler[tries to tell us that the Thule Society developed incredibly advanced rocket technology 10 years ahead of it's time, and never gave the research to the Nazi party, or that Fritz Lang looks exactly like King Bradley, the Fritz Lang whose picture is on wikipedia must be a fake Fritz.]

Last edited by Charred Knight on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoSB.Haruhi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you knew how the FMA manga would end while the first FMA anime adaptation was still airing, could you done a better job and making an ending that's true to the manga, even though it was an adaptation? Or you just didn't like it ended, even though it did ran 52 episodes as per scheduled?

You tried to compare anime adaptation to movie adaptation is like comparing a Japanese hybrid to an American monster truck, two different beasts with completely different goals. Just ask any movie fan.

I read the FMA manga, and I still don't like the "remake" of FMA anime that's shooting for a closer adaptation to the original manga. Just because fans like you, who shares the same mentality as narutard fans, demands it. And thus take away anime creativity.

DomFotress I am guessing you are a fan of filler episodes.

Anyway that is going away from the topic which is that the new FMA Brotherhood is not a remake but an "adaptation" of the manga, I do not see why you need to deviate, just deliver what the fans want. This is the only point why FMA Brotherhood is here, to satisfy people who read the manga and want a true adaptation of the series.

If you do not like the anime then chances are you do not like the manga so do not watch it and don't complain about it.

PS I bet you are in love with butterfly from Buso Renkin, which I thought was spoiler[god awful so Razz]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Considering that the alternate dimension is spoiler[our world, and the Uranium Bomb was obviously never found, probably means that Ed gave up within 2 hours. Unless you honestly want me to believe that Ed found a nuke, and then somehow disposed of the nuke. Which doesn't make any sense. It's not like you can hide a nuclear bomb in your closet.]

[spoiler]Then again we are talking about a movie that spoiler[tries to tell us that the Thule Society developed incredibly advanced rocket technology 10 years ahead of it's time, and never gave the research to the Nazi party, or that Fritz Lang looks exactly like King Bradley, the Fritz Lang whose picture is on wikipedia must be a fake Fritz.]

You're being way too critical.

spoiler[Just because the events were based on history, doesn't mean they necessarily follow history entirely.

Whether Edward and Alphonse succeeded in their mission to find the bomb is up to the viewer. Of course, I would have preffered if they left it up to us how the brothers reuinted, as well, since the movie wasn't really that necessary to begin with.]
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
SoSB.Haruhi wrote:
Anyway that is going away from the topic which is that the new FMA Brotherhood is not a remake but an "adaptation" of the manga, I do not see why you need to deviate, just deliver what the fans want. This is the only point why FMA Brotherhood is here, to satisfy people who read the manga and want a true adaptation of the series.

If you do not like the anime then chances are you do not like the manga so do not watch it and don't complain about it.
Because I don't need fancy animation to fulfill some kind of craving for an animated fantasy, when all I wanted is a good adventure story about how boys grew up and became their own persons. So why they want to make me watch the same story twice, just because they animated for the second time in less than 5 years is completely beyond me.

Not only that, unlike Hellsing Ultimate OVA, FMA: Brotherhood is still an adaptation that deviated from the original manga. Because they couldn't deliver all the gruesome scenes from the manga and transfer them onto Japanese national TV broadcast. So the shock value isn't there in FMA: Brotherhood, when the original FMA manga is well known for its shocking developments.

Therefore, your point on why FMA: Brotherhood is needed failed to convince me on both personal and factual level. Just like your personal attack on my person has nothing to do with FMA, and still you wrote it in there because you're shallow and vain.

PS: At least Papillon finally knew who he really is in the end, by him constantly redefining himself. Unlike a certain high school girl who's still clueless as to what she truly is, because of certain plot hole devices. Lame. Rolling Eyes
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

[spoiler]Then again we are talking about a movie that spoiler[tries to tell us that the Thule Society developed incredibly advanced rocket technology 10 years ahead of it's time, and never gave the research to the Nazi party, or that Fritz Lang looks exactly like King Bradley, the Fritz Lang whose picture is on wikipedia must be a fake Fritz.]

You're being way too critical.

spoiler[Just because the events were based on history, doesn't mean they necessarily follow history entirely.

Whether Edward and Alphonse succeeded in their mission to find the bomb is up to the viewer. Of course, I would have preffered if they left it up to us how the brothers reuinted, as well, since the movie wasn't really that necessary to begin with.]

Here's the thing the movie was supposed to happen in OUR world, not something like our world. You can't have technology that doesn't exist, nor can you have a nonsensical plotline like a secret society with like a thousand members trying to invade a country that's military probably numbers in the ten thousand.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Here's the thing the movie was supposed to happen in OUR world, not something like our world. You can't have technology that doesn't exist, nor can you have a nonsensical plotline like a secret society with like a thousand members trying to invade a country that's military probably numbers in the ten thousand.

It takes place in our world in the same way that Indiana Jones movies do, using our history, but sort of stretching things a bit.

Also, the head of the Thule Society believed they had the proper technology to fill in the gaps between any possible difference in their militaries. She had no reason to believe that a so-called paradise would have such a large military force.

By the way, Dietlinde Eckhart was a female version of Dietrich Eckart, a member of the real Thule Society in history.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

It takes place in our world in the same way that Indiana Jones movies do, using our history, but sort of stretching things a bit.

Also, the head of the Thule Society believed they had the proper technology to fill in the gaps between any possible difference in their militaries. She had no reason to believe that a so-called paradise would have such a large military force.

By the way, Dietlinde Eckhart was a female version of Dietrich Eckart, a member of the real Thule Society in history.

Here's the thing, the movie claims that this is our Earth, that this really happened. I would have no problems if it was like indiana Jones, a movie that is just trying to be fun, but the movie tries to be relevant to go beyond goofy Nazi movies like Indiana Jones, and it suffers from it because they try to fudge history while claiming this really happened.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Here's the thing, the movie claims that this is our Earth, that this really happened. I would have no problems if it was like indiana Jones, a movie that is just trying to be fun, but the movie tries to be relevant to go beyond goofy Nazi movies like Indiana Jones, and it suffers from it because they try to fudge history while claiming this really happened.

It's not making any more claims that it's our Earth any more than Indiana Jones movies. They're both in "our world", but not really, since it's not likely the Ark of the Covenant is real, or can melt your face off, nor is it likely that Diethart was a woman, the Thule Society was using psychic gypsies to get to a parallel world, or that the uranium bomb came from that world.

It's fantasy with a historical fiction tinge. Personally, I was pretty impressed with the amount of research that Bones staff did into the time period. You should see the booklet in the limited edition release of the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6