• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ponyo Off a Cliff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Here's the thing the movie was supposed to happen in OUR world, not something like our world. You can't have technology that doesn't exist, nor can you have a nonsensical plotline like a secret society with like a thousand members trying to invade a country that's military probably numbers in the ten thousand.

It takes place in our world in the same way that Indiana Jones movies do, using our history, but sort of stretching things a bit.

Also, the head of the Thule Society believed they had the proper technology to fill in the gaps between any possible difference in their militaries. She had no reason to believe that a so-called paradise would have such a large military force.

By the way, Dietlinde Eckhart was a female version of Dietrich Eckart, a member of the real Thule Society in history.

Here's the thing, the movie claims that this is our Earth, that this really happened. I would have no problems if it was like indiana Jones, a movie that is just trying to be fun, but the movie tries to be relevant to go beyond goofy Nazi movies like Indiana Jones, and it suffers from it because they try to fudge history while claiming this really happened.

It's not making any more claims that it's our Earth any more than Indiana Jones movies. They're both in "our world", but not really, since it's not likely the Ark of the Covenant is real, or can melt your face off, nor is it likely that Diethart was a woman, the Thule Society was using psychic gypsies to get to a parallel world, or that the uranium bomb came from that world.

It's fantasy with a historical fiction tinge. Personally, I was pretty impressed with the amount of research that Bones staff did into the time period. You should see the booklet in the limited edition release of the movie.

It has been claimed several times that the alternate dimension is OUR world. Not some alternate universe version.

Basically it's handled the same as Earth Prime of the DC Universe basically it's claimed to be our world, but they just use it to do goofy tales about the characters meeting the workers at DC.

It's supposed to be our world but it's not so the whole thing is pointless in claiming it's our world.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
So now we're arguing semantics. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I just think it would have been better if they went for a much less accurate, heavily stylized take, instead of trying to be accurate but cheating quite a bit.

I mean just imagine Armstrong taking on Goering in a fist fight, and the explosive finale when Mustang takes on Hitler himself
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Mustang takes on Hitler himself

Well, in Marvel Comics, the (first, android) Human Torch killed Hitler. I think it may have worked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
"biggest release of a Miyazaki movie"

Not to mention anime movie in general.

Oh, and thanks for showing some Pom Poko love, Justin. You should've been there for the Takahata appearance.

Bamboo: Don't feel bad about the backlash. I enjoyed the Cat Returns so much that I'll be blasphemous enough to argue that it was better than Whisper of the Heart! But the only Miyazaki movie I'd be obligated to say I'd like so far is Howl.

Zac: I think American critics like Ponyo, because they're getting tired of the same old uninspired CG stuff released on a yearly basis. Rolling Eyes

As for Iron Giant, that sucker tanked because the South Park movie got all the attention that year, and 'cus Pokemon was huge enough to make the movie a hit. Ponyo might have a fighting chance with audience WOM.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Just letting people now that proper pronunciation for Nausicaa in English is [Nau-sik'a-e]. That is, Naw-Sick-A-uh. Even the Japanese mispronounce this name.
mbanu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
10-year anniversary of the podcast in 2 days, anyone else excited? Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6