• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's Ponyo Opens at #9 with US$3.6 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
They about match on the Tomatometer, but the bulk of the positive reviews for Ponyo are a lot more lukewarm than the ones for Up.

A Ghibli film will likely be nominated again for Best Animated Feature, but Pixar will almost certainly take the award for the third year in a row.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Wes Anderson's stop-motion The Fantastic Mr. Fox will be better than both of them (though it'll be tough for it to be better than Up).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Wes Anderson's stop-motion The Fantastic Mr. Fox will be better than both of them (though it'll be tough for it to be better than Up).
I have some good hopes for that movie as well. It looks really awesome, and I love stop-motion animation movies.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
They about match on the Tomatometer, but the bulk of the positive reviews for Ponyo are a lot more lukewarm than the ones for Up.

A Ghibli film will likely be nominated again for Best Animated Feature, but Pixar will almost certainly take the award for the third year in a row.

I'm thinking this year's Oscar for animation will have some nice competition. Can't forget about Henry Selick's stop motion Coraline.

I like stop motion coming back. Either way it'll be nice if they all make it to see some actual competition for Pixar for once outside of some mediocre 3D animated movies that don't have a chance against Pixar.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I saw a fair turnout, including several young children, when I saw the movie at noon on Friday. The only problem was the projector getting screwed up a few minutes in (just after the opening credits, IIRC).
Necrontry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

I'm thinking this year's Oscar for animation will have some nice competition. Can't forget about Henry Selick's stop motion Coraline.

I like stop motion coming back. Either way it'll be nice if they all make it to see some actual competition for Pixar for once outside of some mediocre 3D animated movies that don't have a chance against Pixar.

not to mention Tim Burton's 9 will probably be in the running too. Its been a pretty good year for animation. I have a feeling its because of the 3D option has something to do with it.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Maybe by Oscar time Disney will settle on a way to pronounce Ponyo.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
Happy to see that. We went to see Ponyo Friday night and it was actually fairly busy with families and with teenage/young adult couples. It was entertaining and the dub was actually not too bad.
Chinatsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
Me and my cousins saw it and I was so happy! I loved the animation, the story was a little sketchy though(reminded me of Howls Moving Castle) by the end of the film My cousins were talking all about it and want to see the other ghibli films =D. By the end of the film we didn't even noticed how we were all having big smiles.

My theater was moderate lots of adults and children and a couple teenagers.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
Did it get much advertising over there? If not, you'd think actual advertising plus a wider release could be pretty profitable.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Did it get much advertising over there? If not, you'd think actual advertising plus a wider release could be pretty profitable.

It had commercials airing on all the major kids networks and some Saturday morning spots on the CW and ABC. Really they were pandering to the right audience.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Here's Box Office Mojo's take on it:

Hailed as the "next masterpiece" from Hayao Miyazaki in its advertising, Japanese blockbuster Ponyo floundered
[Ed: haha, pun, Nemo] with an estimated $3.5 million, failing to gain domestic traction just like the previous Miyazaki features despite his largest release yet (927 sites).

3/4 full on Times Square Sunday night. Lots of families with really young kids, plus YA boys and gals. Tina Fey stole the show.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
I bought the DVD from Japan a few weeks ago. It's much better that the version that they are showing here. The English voices for the kids were OK, but adult voices sounded like that were reading from queue cards.
spoony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I picked up a Time magazine while waiting for my dad to get out of the doctor's office and there was a three-page article on Ponyo! It was the largest movie piece in the magazine, had a picture in the table of contents, and was very complimentary of the movie as well as Miyazaki's other works.

It was great to see that publicity. I don't know when the magazine came out (it was dated August 24, which is...in a week. I don't understand magazine dating Anime hyper), but an article in such a high-profile magazine could very well boost ticket sales. Anime smile
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Epic fail if you saw it in English, not the original Japanese.

Kudos if you saw it in Japanese, then English.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
Epic fail if you saw it in English, not the original Japanese.

Kudos if you saw it in Japanese, then English.
Kudos for you at being an epic failure, when you slandered the English language on an English language based public forum. Thank you, man! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3