• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster anime on SyFy.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I just saw on the syfy schedule that monster is listed for october on their channel

October 5, 2009
11:00 PM KAI DOH MARU
12:00 AM STREET FIGHTER MOTION COMIC(SERIES)
12:30 AM VOLTRON MOTION COMIC (SERIES)

October 12, 2009
11:00 PM MONSTER(SERIES)
11:30 PM MONSTER(SERIES)
12:00 AM STREET FIGHTER MOTION COMIC(SERIES)

October 19, 2009
12:00 AM VOLTRON MOTION COMIC (SERIES)

October 26, 2009
12:00 AM MACROSS PLUS
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I sure can't wait for commercials every two minutes and cut scenes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Come now, penguintruth. I think that's taking it a bit too far. Monster is a highly regarded series that most Region 1 people have felt they would never see, let alone aired on TV. If this is indeed true, it's huge news. Thanks for the tipoff, bleachjOj. I'll be there.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Come now, penguintruth. I think that's taking it a bit too far. Monster is a highly regarded series that most Region 1 people have felt they would never see, let alone aired on TV. If this is indeed true, it's huge news. Thanks for the tipoff, bleachjOj. I'll be there.

Am I really exaggerating that much? Have you watched anime on Syfy recently?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zopelthe543

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Kelly wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yeah I don't see why you have to complain so much when something like this is gonna air, if this is true. Man I'm all pumped now, never expected them to ever do this, wonder why we haven't heard any news about this on ANN yet?
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Do you know for sure it's even Monster (the anime), it could be Monster- the new SyFy live action show or something like that. It does just vaguely say Monster (series).
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Do you know for sure it's even Monster (the anime), it could be Monster- the new SyFy live action show or something like that. It does just vaguely say Monster (series).

Not likely seeing as it's actually scheduled during the time frame that's actually called "ani-mondays". Plus it's sharing schedule times with other anime titles. If this schedule is for real I'm very excited to see it. I've heard allot of great things about Monster but I've kept putting it off. But now I have a perfect opportunity to watch it.

Also, I was unaware that there was a "Voltron Motion Comic". I'm actually not sure what that's suppose to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I find it rather weird that it might be airing on Sci-Fi when it was airing on the FUNimation Channel not so long ago. I didn't see any listings for the month of October on their site, so would you mind posting a link?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna have to agree with penguintruth on this one. Yeah, it's great that Monster is probably getting a US TV run, but Sci-Fi Channel's method of airing shows really is that deplorable and that aggravating to suffer through that it's really difficult to get excited (even though Monster is one of my favorite series).

I for one will not be watching, as I am not so privileged as to have Tivo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
For me, the only point in suffering through watching an anime on Scifi is to determine if it's worth buying or renting. It's definitely not for the wonderful viewing experience I get from watching commercials every 2 minutes.

The Scifi Channel is pretty much dead to me now.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I find it rather weird that it might be airing on Sci-Fi when it was airing on the FUNimation Channel not so long ago. I didn't see any listings for the month of October on their site, so would you mind posting a link?

link
http://www.syfy.com/schedule/index.php?date=12-OCT-2009&feed_req= [url][/url]
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:

There were rumors that Monster would appear on the Funimation Channel this fall, but I haven't see it appear in my program guide listings for that channel. Have you actually seen it telecasted on Funi?

I did a site search for the term "monster" at syfy.com using Google ("site:syfy.com monster") and did not find any pages discussing that entry in their fall lineup. I also browsed the top page of the forum quickly and didn't see any anime-related subforums. There's no mention of Monster in the catch-all thread either.

As for advertising, the original broadcasts had a commercial break, so ads at the beginning, once in the middle, and at the end would be consistent with the original airing. More ads than that would probably make a show that depends on mood as much as Monster pretty unwatchable.

If Monster does appear on television, I guess that means we should expect the DVDs as well. I just hope Viz learned from its experience with Hikaru no Go that you can't expect R1 viewers to buy series of this length (74 episodes) at four episodes per $25 DVD. Monster is one of my favorite works for television in any medium, but it's not worth $400 to me on DVD.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
TBH, no, I didn't see it on FUNi's channel. I was assuming that it did since it was first announced to be airing during the spring or summer, so that's why I was skeptical about this. Now that I've seen the link I guess I'll just look forward to the airing, crappy commercial breaks aside.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Pfft, you act like it's just anime that gets this treatment. Anyone who watched Syfy for other shows like Doctor Who for example, can tell you anime is not getting the worse treatment with Syfy. Doctor Who got an average of 6 minutes at least cut per ep, going up to 15 minutes sometimes. It's not that SyFy is giving anime the special treatment with edits and commercials, all shows not made for SyFy get it.

I'll give the Monster dub a chance. Haven't heard it yet and I'm curious.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
If Monster does appear on television, I guess that means we should expect the DVDs as well. I just hope Viz learned from its experience with Hikaru no Go that you can't expect R1 viewers to buy series of this length (74 episodes) at four episodes per $25 DVD. Monster is one of my favorite works for television in any medium, but it's not worth $400 to me on DVD.

It's going to be released to DVD no matter what, the first Half Season Set has already been announced to be released in December 2009.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1