• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
So you're into cyberpunk/post-apocalyptisch sci-fi stuff? Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita are obvious places to start.

If you're looking for something a bit more outside of that genre, you may want to check King of Thorn. It's a more of a survival/horror story and it reads like a movie. It's an intense and fairly short series.

Metro Survive may also interest you. It's a good survival/thriller and only two volumes, which can be bought as a cheap set.

Now, if you want something edgy and just plain great: Tekkonkinkreet.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
dUK wrote:
Hi,

I'd love to hear some recommendations from some of the manga fans out there.
I'm a bit of a novice. But what really peaked my interest was Blame!, then I realised its going to be a huge hassle to get a full set, so I'd really like something similar.

So far I've read and enjoyed:
NOiSE
Akira
Vagabond (only a little bit)

I've heard that Pluto is good, so might try that but would love further suggestions.

Many Thanks.

If you're a fan of Blame! and NOiSE, you might want to check out Biomega by the same author - the first volume was released not long ago.

Other than that, it seems you like action-oriented works with very detailed artwork so I think you'd almost certainly enjoy Blade Of The Immortal, Eden: It's An Endless World! and Shaman Warrior (as well as Battle Angel Alita, which Tamaria has already mentioned).
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked I didn't make a post in here yet...

One of the best mangas I've rea to date...isn't even a "manga" Anime hyper

Shin Angyo Onshi

Unfortunately, the series hasn't been localized....and prolly never will cause it's so little known, but seriousoly, people, go read it. NOW. (You know where to go......)

And don't use the movie as a judgmental basis - it practically pisses on the source material. Mad
dUK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the tips, they sound like some great ones.
I think I'm going to try Battle Angel Alita, Eden or Metro Survive first, tough choice.
I wondered about Biomega since I liked Blame! and NOiSE but I read some pretty bad reviews of it, so I'm not sure.

Thanks again.
D
vertigovirgo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone! I'm looking for some manga recommendations. I'm a big fan of Sailor Moon - read the manga, watched the anime, but recently I've been interested in reading some more shows that have somewhat the same ingredients of SM. I'll try not to be picky. I'm not looking for a heroine, though that would be a plus, but rather a good storyline that either deals with life or have some magical elements to it. I REALLY want a good love story between the main lead & second male lead. Like a love story that is really beautiful lol (I'm in the mod for love). The drawings have to be really good (no plain 'typical' manga drawings with expressionless eyes).

Secondly, I also really like Dragon ball (own all of the manga released so far by Viz)... Is there any good martial arts fighting mangas like Dragon ball?? I've heard of Naruto & one Piece (haven't gotten to checking them out) but is there possibly anything that's alike Dragon ball? I know I asking to compare apples to oranges, considering how popular the two shows I'm coming from are, but isn't it okay to have some specific preferences? Well... I hope this gets me somewhere. Thanks
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
A shoujo manga... It's not exactly magical, but it is extremely epic: Basara. Perfect if you're looking for some starcrossed lovers. Now, if you want something moire daily life'ish with some magical/super natural elements: Oyayubihime Infinity. This deals with lovers from a past life in a quite original way and has some great love triangles. If you want something that takes place completely in the past, pick Emma. I'm usually not much into romance, but this one had me cheering for the main characters! And the sidecharacters. Most characters, really. The author is really enthousiastic about Victorian times and it's very contagious.

The shounen manga: One Piece certainly shares the adventure element with (early) Dragonball. If you want more fighting, Naruto is the better choice. Both are fun series, you can't go wrong with either, unless you really, really hate seemingly endless shounen series (which is very understadable, actually).
OLady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
vertigovirgo wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm looking for some manga recommendations. I'm a big fan of Sailor Moon - read the manga, watched the anime, but recently I've been interested in reading some more shows that have somewhat the same ingredients of SM. I'll try not to be picky. I'm not looking for a heroine, though that would be a plus, but rather a good storyline that either deals with life or have some magical elements to it. I REALLY want a good love story between the main lead & second male lead. Like a love story that is really beautiful lol (I'm in the mod for love). The drawings have to be really good (no plain 'typical' manga drawings with expressionless eyes).

Thanks

This recommendation is more josei than shojou, but otherwise meets your criteria. (I think.) Ohmi Tomu's manga is very good. It has depth of feeling, good art, slice-of-life with magic. These 3 series create 1 graceful story: Kindan no Koi, Kindan no Koi wo Shiyou, Zoku no Kindan wo Shiyou. (I think I've got the names straight. If you can find one, you'll find all of them.) Her Midnight Secretary is another slice-of-life with twist of supernatural, See if those are to your liking.

An old series with good love interest and LOTS of fighting is Tokyo Crazy Paradise. The facial expressions are quite good; I don't remember the eyes specifically. That's all that comes to mind immediately. Hope it helps.
JR117

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
My Favorites are Highschool of the Dead and Monochrome Factor and History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi and recommendation for these?
pr3c1pit0us

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm looking for a more serious manga. Most of the mangas I've read have been good, but a little more story driven rather than character driven. Like, the story is going to progress not matter what the character does -- it's going to happen. This makes it seem fake and unlike the characters have any sort of power. And they usually don't seem "real" because no matter what choices the characters make you have this gut feeling that the story is going to just go on.

Plus, you usually learn a bit more about the characters this way.

So, any like this?
OLady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
pr3c1pit0us wrote:
So, I'm looking for a more serious manga. Most of the mangas I've read have been good, but a little more story driven rather than character driven. Like, the story is going to progress not matter what the character does -- it's going to happen. This makes it seem fake and unlike the characters have any sort of power. And they usually don't seem "real" because no matter what choices the characters make you have this gut feeling that the story is going to just go on.

Plus, you usually learn a bit more about the characters this way.

So, any like this?

I'm confused. Give me some examples of what you've been reading. Also, what genres do you like? I'll try to help.
pr3c1pit0us

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's basically what I've been saying. I haven't read any manga I really wanted to read. I want to read stuff like I described before, but just for you, I'll outline some manga I've read:

-Gurren Lagann
-Love Hina (trying to find something about characters)
-One Piece (a little)
-Gundam OO
-The cowboy bebop that didn't finish
-and many more "explosion" animes, where stuff blows up and the focus is on battles/the story rather than the characters.

And none of it really made a lasting impression on me, which is why I wanted some recommendations. Everything I've read seemed to be good, or at least alright in some sense, but just not what I wanted. I finish feeling like there should be more explanation every time.

And because of that, I just wanted some more fulfilling, something that explains the characters more.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
Uhm... Battle Angel Alita? It's an action title, but there is a lot of focus on the characters, their motivations and the world.

I'm going to assume you idn't like One Piece very much, because the characters seem so flat in the beginning. Perhaps you could try a shounen manga with more complex characters. Rurouni Kenshin is a pretty long read, but it's a good one. There a very nice and affordable omnibus edition out now.

Or maybe you should just step away from the action genre for a while and try something like Planetes.
OLady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Tamaria's suggestion is good. I can give you some older series to look at. Full Metal Panic, Tail of the Moon, Samurai Deeper Kyo. I enjoy Black Butler. In science fiction there's Eternal Sabbathwhich is almost entirely character driven. Night of the Beasts might work.
OLady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria, what do you think of suggesting the Saiyuki franchise to pr3c1pit0us? Or Fairy Tale?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Saiyuki caters too much to lovers of bishounen, which can be annoying for readers who don't care that much about handsome men being handsome.

Fairy Tail... It's a good shounen series, but a series that is that long and is still running probably isn't the rewarding read he is looking for. Something with a strong beginning and end, something that was planned out from start to finish, would be better,

Eternal Sabbath was a good recommendation. That story really grabs you and won't let go until it ends (which is after eight volumes, so it won't hurt your wallet too much). I should know, I almost missed a dentist appointment because of that final volume Anime hyper

Oh, wait, I can't believe I forgot Naoki Urasawa's works! His stories are not for everyone, because he uses many characters in his stories and tends to drag out the suspense a bit too long, but it's a good place to start if you're looking for serious manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 33