• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
oh thanks for the reply, i'm checking out Solanin right now.
anyway about Genshiken, can you tell me who's the author?

as for "what a wonderful world" and "welcome to NHK", i'm still looking for the manga online lol

TsunaReborn! wrote:
Hi there! How do you feel about BL series i.e Awkward Silence or a non BL yet mature series like Wandering Son?

i'm sorry what is BL stands for lol? i'm new Shocked
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
#840590 wrote:
oh thanks for the reply, i'm checking out Solanin right now.
anyway about Genshiken, can you tell me who's the author?

as for "what a wonderful world" and "welcome to NHK", i'm still looking for the manga online lol

You're welcome. Solanin is good, better than "what a wonderful world", imo. And the author of Genshiken is Kio Shimoku. If you're interested in a print edition of Genshiken, Kodansha USA put out 3 omnibus volumes that collects all of vols. 1-9.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Sorry #840590 but don't worry as I don't know much of the lingo myself and I've been here a few years now.

BL stands for Boys Love - essentially romance series but with teo guys instead of both genders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Sorry #840590 but don't worry as I don't know much of the lingo myself and I've been here a few years now.

BL stands for Boys Love - essentially romance series but with teo guys instead of both genders.

ah ic, but no i'm straight, i don't even like yuri manga . Very Happy
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Haha, there is nothing wrong with being straight and liking a good romance story. I'm gay and enjoy both heteo and some yuri (though I want to delve deeper into the latter). I know where you are coming from though.

I do enjoy Love at Fourteen which is a hetro series.

If you want slice of life I would highly recommend Kimi to Boku (You and Me) it is one of my favourite manga/anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ayanami000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
Any suggestions for new good romance genre one?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Any suggestions for manga similar to Parasyte? It was a great read that I finished recently.

Also interested in Manga similar to Gunnm:Last Order
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
ayanami000 wrote:
Any suggestions for new good romance genre one?

Can you narrow it down any?
Do you want comedy or drama? Any particular age range for the characters?
Are you OK with older releases that might be out of print and hard to find?
I really like Love Roma.
It is a romantic comedy about high school kids. It is out of print.

Jose Cruz wrote:
Any suggestions for manga similar to Parasyte? It was a great read that I finished recently.[/b]

You might try 7 Billion Needles.
It is loosely (very, very, very loosely) based on the science fiction novel Needle by Hal Clement.
I think that it fails as an adaptation of the novel, but it works well as an independent work.
I enjoyed it a lot, though I prefer the novel.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I already read that. Yep, it's very similar to Parasyte now that you mention it though Parasyte is a masterpiece.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I myself quite enjoy Parasyte and other good horror genre stories.

For sheer body horror wtfness, go with anything Junji Ito and Franken Fran.

If you like the alien antagonist hidden in plain sight aspect:
7 Billion Needles
Ajin
(currently one of my favorite series coming out stateside, really hoping the Vertical booth will have v6 for me early because I cannot get enough!)
Tokyo Ghoul (it may be too early to call, but the first volume of it certainly reminded me of Parasyte in many ways)

And for some anime:
Birdy the Mighty: Decode (more in a "body sharing while one of the two entities tends to fight monsters" sort of way)
Blue Gender
Elfen Lied
Kemonozume
Shiki
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the rec. Kemonozume appears to be amazing, considering it is from Yuasa. I will watch that one soon.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Recently I started reading a couple flashback manga in shonen jump, so my question i, is it worth getting into D.Grayman or DragonBall or even Claymore?
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
^ Your question isn't clear: A flashback manga for you is one that has a lot of them? Do you like them or you dislike them?

Either case, D. Gray Man and Claymore have a fair bunch of flashbacks, not super excessive but you can expect them. Dragon Ball barely has. And in terms of quality either of those three are good enough to check out, although to describe them, the three are battle mangas, Dragon Ball being very light and quick and adventurous, Claymore slow and gruesome, and D. Gray Man gothic and heavily dramatic.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure "flashback" here refers to the Viz Shonen Jump feature where they run the first few chapters of older series to promote them to newer fans. He's just asking for opinions on the series he named.

As for "worth"...they're all pretty big titles (yeah yeah massive understatement for Dragonball) so there's certainly something to them that people are attracted to. I'm not a big fan of D Grayman personally but the other two are fine.
Svcy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Any horror manga recommendation?

I've watched ghost hunt, let's use this as ref. This show scares me with just telling story even the actual ghost wasn't there, its good for its suspense, dark, a little romance with drama.

Genre: suspense, romance, drama, detective, little action, half serious half hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 33