• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
I do not consider myself to be a fan of horror but there is some that I like, a lot.
It has been a few years since I watched the Ghost Hunt anime but I did enjoy it and I think that the manga that I will mention compare favorably with it.

One of my favorites is Hanako and the Terror of Allegory.
One reason that I like it is that it has quite a bit of humor and some reasonably cute girls, but it also has a lot of dark, serious, and terrifying moments.
The main character is Aso Daisuke, a detective who investigates cases involving ghosts and demons.
Most of the stories are episodic and deal with well-known ghosts such as the slit-mouthed woman, Teke-teke, the ghost in the mirror (that one is especially funny), the bathroom ghost who asks if you want red paper or blue paper, and many others. There is also a continuing story about the true nature of Aso.
The title character, Hanako, is the famous bathroom ghost but here she is working with Aso as a partner in his detective agency.

I also recommend any and all of the "Mermaid" stories by Rumiko Takahashi. I think that the four volumes that Viz released collected all of them. If you are familiar with only her cute and funny work you might be surprised at how well she can do scary and terrifying.

Some of the stories in Takahashi's Rumic World Trilogy are also horror, but the only one that I remember well enough to strongly recommend is "The Laughing Target" in the first volume. It is about a rather nasty girl who can control some even nastier creatures.

If you consider Dance in the Vampire Bund to be horror then I will strongly recommend it.
My only complaint about it is that it seemed to take forever for the main story to advance and finally reach a conclusion. But I did enjoy all of the various things that were happening enough that I gave the series an "Excellent" rating.
There are some truly frightening characters and events. Trying to imagine myself in the position of Yuki in the second half of the series is especially terrifying.

I will add 7 Billion Needles. It is very loosely adapted from a science fiction novel by Hal Clement but I consider to be much more horror than science fiction.
The story is science fiction but the graphics put it firmly in the horror genre.
Whatever you call it I found it to be very entertaining and something that I definitely want to read again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I second Hanako and the Terror of Allegory as a good horror series for you, and you might also try Ryukishi07's Higurashi: When They Cry. It's scary without too much supernatural stuff, and if you're a little leery of the horror genre, it does explain everything eventually, which I find comforting.
beautify786

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone ? I am new here Smile
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
@beautify786
Welcome.
Since you introduced yourself in the recommendations thread does that mean that you are looking for recommendations for manga?

If so we need some information about you.
What genres and themes do you like, and not like?
What have you read that you enjoyed, or disliked?

I hope that you enjoy your time here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Praying Lotus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey there, so I was looking for a specific horror manga that I read awhile back whose title I can't remember. I can only go off of a few memories of the manga so bear with me. It is high school based, I believe, and in one of the chapters, there were some humanoid creatures attacking a plane, and some random girl, the protagonist I think, attacks them and kills them, with one of the humanoids being thrown out the window and smashing against the wing being torn in half. At the end of this chapter, the protagonist is given a box, which is supposed to be a present, with a rabbit inside, and before she takes the rabbit out, it pees on her lap. Also, at the end of one of the volumes, one "evil creature" per say is killed and becomes a literal pool of blood and guts. A man, possibly a detective but I'm not sure, drops a cell phone into the pool of blood and guts. Another characteristic is, from the volume I read, on the back theres a zombie esque high school girl, or possibly a high school girl just covered in blood, I can't remember. If anyone could help me out I'd very much appreciate it! Thank you!
wizard_warz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly sure if I know of that manga but here's one that's quite similar and it's a good read check out:
https://www.spottoon.com/workHome?book_no=21
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
'Sup fellas!

Been reading:

Dorohedoro: (love this seinen series to death)

UQ Holder: sequal series to Negima!, but even better, in my opinion; included in Crunchyroll. My favorite shonen title right now.

My Hero Academia: Maybe the best shonen series right now? It's pretty great.

(many others too, but i'll limit myself to those three Very Happy )

Question: What are some good, currently running shojo series? I'm collecting Kimi Ni Todoke, but all my other favorite shojo titles ended a while ago.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Definitely My Love Story, if you like Kimi ni Todoke. It's absolutely delightful and downright hilarious at times. The main couple are sickly sweet adorable in the best possible way, and like KnT, the side cast are great too. The first 6 volumes are out in English, and the anime is on Crunchyroll.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Definitely seconding My Love Story.

And to further continue into our journey of acquiring diabeetus through manga, So Cute, It Hurts! is also damn cute. I don't usually get that into cross-dressing manga, but my god, it's just so damn cute!

And, while not technically shojo, both A Silent Voice and The Ancient Magus' Bride are difficult to describe. They technically ran in shonen magazines, but it's obvious there'd be cross appeal and they're both fantastic series too, if you want something more serious.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'll second (oops, third!) My Love Story!! It's excellent. If you didn't pick up Strobe Edge (ended a little while back), that's another you may enjoy. Horimiya (not technically shoujo but has lots of appeal to this mostly-shoujo-reader) is a promising series that Yen Press recently started publishing. You may also want to look out for Orange, being published by Seven Seas in two omnibus editions early next year. (It's also on CR if you want to sample it there; SS will have a new translation.)

Kodansha's been publishing some nice shoujo recently too: I'm quite fond of My Little Monster and Say I Love You.

I'm also a big fan of Kamisama Kiss and Skip Beat! (the latter is incredibly addictive). I tend to think of them as a different "flavour" of shoujo (KnT etc are more down-to-earth comedy/drama, while Kamisama Kiss has supernatural elements and Skip is deep in an idealized version of the show-biz world.) If you feel like naming some of your other favourites that ended, we can get a better sense of your taste :)
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly
@classicalzawa
@lys

Thanks for the recs guys Smile I did watch the My Love Story anime while it was streaming, so the manga is a definite possibility for me (though i've heard it declined a bit recently? Just what i've heard though).

I did read A Silent Voice, it is fantastic and heartwrenching. I've been intrigued by Magus' Bride; i'll look for a sale on that one (hopefully it will be available digitally someday)

The completed shojo that i've read are:

Basara (Kinda like Avatar: TLA w/out the element bending, w/ a great star-crossed lovers subplot)

High School Debut (one of the few shojo that ditches the "will they/Won't they" almost immediately)

Lovely Complex (falls off a bit later on, but is honestly hilarious! One of my favorites)

My Little Monster (Don't remember much about it, but i do remember liking it)

Forgot to mention that i am following Say I Love You, that's another great one.

Stuff that i don't like include Devil and Her Love Song (i just could not care less about what that girl's problems were), and the original Boys Over Flowers (so much sexual assault! And the threat there-of!)
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, fantastic! You've already read Basara! You'll find many fans of it on here! In that case, I'll recommend From Far Away for more fantasy shojo goodness. Its scope isn't as epic, but I love the characters and 14 volumes is the right length for it, and I adored the main heroine. She's a "chosen one" whisked away from Japanese middle school on her way home one day and lands in a fantasy world where she doesn't speak the language, only to be immediately rescued by a hot bishonen guy, who is also an awesome fighter (it does have that in common with Basara, awesome fight scenes in a shojo), who ends up being basically the "anti-chosen one" who is supposed to destroy the world. But I like the heroine's positive attitude, where she really is an average girl who spends volumes speaking in broken English whilst learning the language. And she's positive without being annoying too. So definitely check out From Far Away.

Since you also clearly enjoy some sillier manga too, NG Life is a romcom from the creator of Yona of the Dawn (which I am more than eager to read!) It follows average high schooler/ reincarnation of a Pompeii warrior Saeki Kaedi. If you know your history of Pompeii, all the characters die in the past exactly how you think they do. Anyway, his former best (male) friend reincarnates as a girl and his former wife reincarnates as a guy, but neither one has any memories. As the series adds more characters, they have both a current life and a past life function, which is pretty awesome and makes the series only get better as it goes on.

And in the vein of classic shojo that Viz published, one cannot forget Please Save My Earth. This one also involves reincarnation, this time of seven alien scientists into Japanese teens. At first, learning about their past lives and finding each other now (well, in the early 90s) is all fun and games, until some of them are revealed to have darker pasts than others....

Also, I would suggest anything by creator Fumi Yoshinaga. She does half yaoi, half non-yaoi, and it's all awesome. She's a master at comedy, drama, and any level in-between. Flower of Life is her love letter to those who were manga nerds in high school. Antique Bakery will make you try to find a bakery asap. Ooku is one of her current series and is an epic drama. What I like about her yaoi is that you could cut out all the sex scenes and it's still just as sexy and awesome. But the three I mentioned are the ones people usually start with. I don't even like yaoi, but her stuff? I'll make any exception! And her yaoi stuff is going OOP if you buy a lot of manga.

For seinen that feel like shojo, Twin Spica is a fantastic story of a girl trying to get to space and her space-training middle school life.
And for shojo that feels like seinen, I cannot recommend Banana Fish highly enough, as long as you want an action drama with a dash of boy's love. Just don't expect your shojo romantic feels or plot.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa--
Damn, girl, just where do you find the room to store all of your manga?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
@nobhan

We have a whole thread on that issue. Scroll down a bit to see my solution.

4000 volumes ++ and more added each week.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
classicalzawa--
Damn, girl, just where do you find the room to store all of your manga?

I don't. At all. Anymore. Like, I can kind still stack things horizontal on the anime front, and should be able to for quite a while, but manga has been a problem for a lot longer. I can't physically put any more bookshelves in, I already have ten short boxes with manga (though some are magazine boxes, since they'll hold Sig sized stuff), I also have space dedicated to American comics that's lasted all of about 6 months (lol), and I've yet to find a way to double cat furniture as manga storage. So I kind of have stacks in front of the bookshelves now. I, appropriately, call them "the stacks". Though I did discover that 1 standard American trade + 1 manga make the perfect use of that shelf (I've stacked the manga in the back). Now, I could theoretically get a couple more short or magazine boxes for "the stacks", but then I feel like I won't learn my lesson either.
Sure, I did just sell Fruits Basket, but I'm planning to replace it with Yen's editions, so that's hardly solved the problem in the long run. I do have things listed for sale on eBay, but they've not yet sold so argh, that'd take away lots of room for me to put new stuff there and everything!
And we're not even mentioning the mess that is the collection shelves. I can now move Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Afterschool Charisma off (as they have only one vol more to go, which is usually when I'll move it), which would be nice as I could put other ongoing series there, but.... back to all the shelves being full issue. I really need to be more strict on myself. And to stop buying stuff and not reading it. And just cis my friend has like, 15 of my manga at most given times doesn't mean I've actually "saved space" if you will. I bet if I were to just sit down and read some of those effers, then decide not to keep them, it'd save space as I'd put them up online to sell them. Perhaps, that shall be my new goal for the next several months? I already promised my friend I'd read House of Five Leaves by the end of March (since if I decide not to re-read it, she already said she'd buy it, and we'll be going to a con together, hence the due date).

How I really need to start is thus: I need to take a couple of days and catalog the hell out of everything. And take some shiny pics for the internets, woohoo! Since my anime takes up so much less space, organizing things into "watched" and "need to watch" is a lot easier. But with manga, I have things to read on my main shelves (both halfway through ongoing stuff and completed series too, Tramps Like Us, Golgo 13, Higurashi), my side shelves (Wild 7, Muhyo & Roji's BSI, I dunno, other random stuff, like why did I buy Apocalypse Zero's manga again? It had better be funny), the boxes (probably the main source, there's that entire box of unread manhwa, House of Five Leaves, Swan, most of One Piece except the first arc, tons more), the piles (Knights of Sidonia, Lone Wolf & Cub), the ongoing (the only place where it might make sense to hoard a couple of volumes then do them all at once, but I'm way behind on Skip Beat, Assassination Classroom, and Kamisama Kiss just for starters). I should clearly reorganize things to put read stuff to be kept onto the shelves, and things to be read either onto the piles, or into a very limited number of specific boxes (one box is all Berserk, I'm maybe 15 vols behind on reading it).

If you're wondering how I do it (I'm wondering too now that I've typed this, damn!), there's a mix of selling, hitting my comic shop for 50% off sales frequently (where I get about 85% of all my new stuff), used stores (physical and online), etc. It also helps that I still live with my folks and it's just me and the Butters. I don't want offspring anyway, but between not having to pay my own bills and only having a cat to take care of, it tends to leave me excess money, something I'm sure most people wish they had themselves. Of course, now it's both birthday and xmas month for me, asking for the gaps I need is easy now (try and make other people get the things the comic shop failed me on or are more pricey, or give me gift cards, etc)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 33