• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Unicorn to Be 6 50-Minute OVAs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm.Sounds good.6 more OVA's or rather OAD/OABD's to add to the collection.

Can't wait.I'd like to know more about how it fits into the Universal Century timeline though.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Can't wait.I'd like to know more about how it fits into the Universal Century timeline though.
It's set after the event of the second New Zeon War in Char's Counter Attack, and before the Cosmo Babylon in F-91.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Mmm Gundam Bluray
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not much of a "Gundam" fan, but 6 50-minute OVAs? That sounds awesome!
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Gun-buster-dam?

This sounds like something I can get into!
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Gun-buster-dam?

This sounds like something I can get into!
Trust me, you're gonna love just how broken Gundam Unicorn is as the ultimate Newtype Destroyer:spoiler[It can hijack any and all Newtype weapons within a fixed radius, by emitting an overwhelming Newtype brainwave with its whole outer frame made of Psycho Frame. Shocked ]
calimike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
I hope Gundam Unicorn will air on SyFy after worldwide simultaneous next year Twisted Evil

I want 6 50-minute OVA DVD or Bluray collection. Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote
Cool. The UC continuity OVAs are my favorite Gundam series.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forwards to this as well; the potential is there as regards story. What Bandai have in mind when they report the release as being worldwide and simultaneous - such words being written in unison so rarely during official statements - constitutes a great deal of my interest at present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote
hmm... would this be an upgrade or a downgrade? OVAs have better production values but Gundam Series have always had decent or very good production values in their TV series too. In any case we get some unicorn.

Not a big gundam fan who has no knowledge of the history of it all, but I do buy the random model cause of how awesome some look. Unicorn is definitely on my wish list so seeing the guy in action is what gets me most excited.
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
hmm... would this be an upgrade or a downgrade? OVAs have better production values but Gundam Series have always had decent or very good production values in their TV series too. In any case we get some unicorn.

Have you seen the existing Gundam OVAs? None of the Gundam TV series even come close in regards to quality, 00 included.

And judging from the trailer that has leaked on Youtube, Unicorn won't be any different. Its going to be top quality stuff, and in HD, even.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
The name still bothers me. Not really a fitting name for this type of show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:

Have you seen the existing Gundam OVAs? None of the Gundam TV series even come close in regards to quality, 00 included.

And judging from the trailer that has leaked on Youtube, Unicorn won't be any different. Its going to be top quality stuff, and in HD, even.

I still think that STARDUST MEMORIES has the best-animated/choreographed fights out of all the Gundam series/movies/OVAs. The Unicorn is such an awesome design that regardless of whether or not the show itself turns out to be any good I still think UNICORN would be worth watching just to see it in action.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
This news couldn't possibly be better. 50 minutes is an excellent time to have action, talking, and plot exposition all in good amounts, and it adds up to well over 13 regular episodes worth of material, while the release schedule allow for the highest attention to detail. Perfect, this is exactly what Unicorn needed.

The Human Spider wrote:
darkhunger wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:

I still think that STARDUST MEMORIES has the best-animated/choreographed fights out of all the Gundam series/movies/OVAs. The Unicorn is such an awesome design that regardless of whether or not the show itself turns out to be any good I still think UNICORN would be worth watching just to see it in action.

I definitely agree about 0083, it was easily the best looking of all Gundams. And for what little 0080 had, it was up there too. As for all Gundams looking good, haha yeah, tell that to Gundam X and Gundam SEED. Victory and G weren't all that amazing either.

jsc315 wrote:
The name still bothers me. Not really a fitting name for this type of show.

Boohoo. Stop thinking about my little pony and start thinking about a wild mythical stallion. What got me into loving Unicorn was the Master Grade kit. It's top notch.
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:

Yeah, 0083 was what I was thinking of... Definitely some of the most well animated mecha and characters in the franchise. The best part about it is the amount of details they put into the animation. Burnmarks and damage actually showing up on the mobile suits, characters' faces contorting and wrinkling with rage, light from beam sabers reflecting on metallic surfaces, and so on.

Of course, the other OVAs aren't much worse either... 0080, 08th MS team and Endless Waltz all match up pretty well. Though they did drop the ball badly with Stargazer (especialy the third episode)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2