• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Middle names?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Here's a bit of a puzzler. MADOX-01 has a credit that says:

Office Baby: Ueki James Shiro

AnimEigo customarily puts Japanese staff and cast members in traditional Japanese order; family first, given last. There is another woman in the staff named Natsumi Ueki, so it seems logical that this person's name would equate to either Shiro James Ueki or James Shiro Ueki, but I honestly have no clue which would be correct. (I want to assume that a middle name is a middle name, but mommy told me time and time again that it's bad just to assume.)

Anyone know anything about Japanese middle names?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:48 pm Reply with quote
When I'm not sure about which is the given and which is the family name, I usually pay a visit to IMDb.com
If you search for "Ueki" you get 4 results, all of them with Ueki as family name. If you search for "Shiro" you get 67 results, most of them with Shiro as given name.
Note that IMDb doesn't always get the order right. Most of the time they'll put the given name first, but sometimes the family name is first instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1