• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sheh's All That

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordcalgar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe original isn't the right term, since there's little in terms of plot that hasn't been done. But creative, and original universe. I'm watching Aria right now, for instance. The sense of capturing place and culture and then creatively weaving that into an engaging story with interesting characters. It's not new, but it really is new. And that experience crosses all genre boundaries.

Good answer. (Good anime btw. too Smile )

As you can see, I am from Germany, so I do not know that much about the american anime market. The great up and downs, I see and read about, but are these "original" anime doing that well on the american market?

And on the other side, I think that there are still "original" anime being produced, but sadly only very few per year.
From my viewpoint, these are seldom in high regard by that many people, even in the western fandom.

So is it true, that fewer/no "original" anime are produced, or could it be, that these titles are more often then not neglected?
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
lordcalgar wrote:
So is it true, that fewer/no "original" anime are produced, or could it be, that these titles are more often then not neglected?

I'm not an artistic elitist. If a show grabs me, and I enjoy it, then it qualifies. It doesn't have to measure up to some objective standard (as if such existed) for art. If it engages me, it's good. If it surprises and amazes me sometimes in its insights or other qualities, then I'm enthusiastic about it. Yes, occasionally a "quality" work of art doesn't find its audience for some time due to lack of awareness in the marketplace, but those are few, and more rare now with Internet viral marketing. I think recognition comes pretty quickly to shows that deserve it. The commercial success and the quality may not be directly proportional because the content only appeals to a small segment of the mass audience.

Wink That said, since I mentioned Code Geass earlier...

Anime World Order wrote:
after its spectacular failure, the staff of Planetes regrouped and did Code Geass, which while a good show is still meticulously crafted by committee to virtually guarantee commercial viability at every single level.

Planetes was different and excellent for awhile, but the last part failed big time--I want those hours back. The failure wasn't from lack of an educated sense of appreciation on the part of viewers. Code Geass was better in most every way, and yes more "commercial", which doesn't make it any less in comparison to something else that wasn't.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Another great show. Only problem I had was I had problems hearing Zac sometimes. Everyone else was great, but Zac sometimes was pretty low. I'm walking around the bookstore shelving books when I listen to this, so it's probably just me, but I could hear Justin and the guest fine. Maybe raise the levels on his mic a bit?

Loved the guest interview. Really interesting to hear what the life of a VA is like, and what's going on now in the industry first hand.

I feel bad now because the last dvd I bought was last fall, and it was a Princess Tutu box set I haggled down to 30 bucks at a convention. Before that was about two seasons previous with a Fruits Basket box set, and before that was a Kino's Journey and Emma box sets. I spend way more money on manga a year than anime dvds, and it's not because I don't have any money, it's because they aren't selling what I want. Nothing appeals to me lately. I'm going to buy the Ouran Host Club box sets next and then I really have no idea what I want next on dvd. Only thing I can see me buying in the future are Blu-Ray releases of Miyazaki films, and dream re-releases of Revolutionary Girl Utena, Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptor Sakura, which aren't happening. Maybe I'll just shelve out the money and buy that French Canadian release of Rose of Versailles finally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
I really hope dubs don't go the way of the dinosaur. There are some shows who have dubs that I absolutely hate (Gundam SEED comes to mind) and I wouldn't trade the original Japanese for anything. But there also shows like Eureka Seven that Ms. Sheh starred in whose English dub I wouldn't trade for anything. Dubs are almost never free of awkward sounding lines or a minor character who sounds off, but I find dubs a lot more easy to quote to my friends (anime is a very social experience for me as I watch and rewatch almost everything with a friend or roommate) and that the humor works better for me in English. I I for one still buy the DVD's to the shows I like, it's just that these days there aren't a lot of new shows coming out of Japan that really interest me. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I've been into anime for six years now. Shows that would've seemed really sweet to me five years ago, just seem like copycat shows to me now.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
"There are certain things fans don't get."
"REALLY?! Breaking news!" Laughing

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that they talk about the overabundance of moe, and then who's on the guest list? Stephanie Sheh, who has voiced quite the list of characters that could be considered "moe" by some, albeit some of them not traditional kinds (Mikuru, Hinata, Eureka, Orihime, Akira). Not that I'm complaining, I think she's a terrific VA, just noting the irony.

I agree with her about how wonderful it would be if everyone who attended a convention (who clearly have SOME money in their life, otherwise how did they get in?) just bought one DVD while they were there. It's certainly not the first I've heard this suggestion, but good luck seeing it actually happen. Sad

Zac, I definitely recommend finishing Eureka Seven if you ever get the free time. It's almost a different beast with the first two halves, the first being mostly will-they-or-won't-they romance and slice-of-life with a little action while the second half is more focused on epic adventure and the war and such. The transition is handled rather nicely, if the anime was a play, you could say the final episode (episode 26) before the "intermission" would have audiences going nuts with anticipation. And like Stephanie said, it being a BONES show means a good deal of the episodes look really good.

Also, I'm with you, never liked pie. Cake FTW. Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the podcast. It gave me a much better look at the industry from a voice actor's perspective and the current trends as far as dubbing studios and such right now.

Also, I was thrilled to hear Akitaro Daichi's name (as well as Yuasa's in this thread) for favorite director. Not only did he do the stellar work with Kodocha, but has also done a wide range of shows including: Now and Then, Here and There, Fruits Basket, Bokura ga Ita, Grrl Power, and others.

Really enjoyed listening to Stephanie, and I feel the podcast is working very well in the sense of content and length.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
This was a great podcast. I'm not a dub fan at all, but I liked hearing about the problems facing the dub industry now (not from a sadistic POV, but because it was interesting), and a VA's perspective. I also liked the slightly longer time run. Lots of material was covered.

The break "sound effects" are interesting. Takes me back. Good memories.

Also, Zac's got it right. Cake >>> pie. I love having a sister who's a pastry chef. Very Happy

EDIT: Forgot to agree with LGW that Zac was a bit too far from the mic.

Last edited by kyokun703 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenseki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I just listened to the podcast. Great work guys. Zac you do need to get closer to the mic. I think I was too close. And BTW, when you said "F*** pie." I really thought that was the type of pie you liked.
Shocked

Steph
Dinamet7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The other problem is that people want DVD boxsets for way lower costs, like 26 episodes for less than $50, because that brings it somewhat close to American TV boxsets.

I pretty much agree with everything in your post - ESPECIALLY the part quoted above. I will happily pay for the product I want. That said, the product I want is a complete season box set at an accessible price.

I can buy an American animated season (26 episodes) of something like The Venture Bros - which does quality traditional inked/digital animation with quite a few notable voice actors for $17-$25 a set. Given the costs of dubbing (even though I don't watch dubs on DVD... not my thing for any foriegn language cinema/series - I'll watch them on TV if that's what's playing) licensing and importing an anime, I'm willing to spend twice that amount for a 26 episode box set of a good series... but that usually only happens when there's a clearance... at which point, I stock up.

Also, there is room for both cake and pie on my plate.
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Dinamet7 wrote:

I can buy an American animated season (26 episodes) of something like The Venture Bros - which does quality traditional inked/digital animation with quite a few notable voice actors for $17-$25 a set. Given the costs of dubbing (even though I don't watch dubs on DVD... not my thing for any foriegn language cinema/series - I'll watch them on TV if that's what's playing) licensing and importing an anime, I'm willing to spend twice that amount for a 26 episode box set of a good series... but that usually only happens when there's a clearance... at which point, I stock up.

I guess the issue is that a show like Venture Brothers has its production costs and profits subsidized mostly by the original television run advertising. The DVD's are just icing on the profit cake. A lot of anime never makes it to TV, so they have to depend on the DVD sales, hence higher prices. I have noticed some newer shows coming with more than the standard 4-5 epsidoes per release. Code Geass has 7 episodes per release I think, and I believe Gundam 00 is the same way.

I'll be honest, I've turned to Netflix for a lot of my anime watching. I simply don't have the space to keep buying every single anime that I think is decent/good even though I can afford to. I've gotten to the point where I only buy a show if I think it is great and the likelihood of a rewatch is strong. I've also started to borrow books (whereas I used to always buy them) and have almost completely stopped buying movies in the same fashion. I'm just tired of wasting space and money when cheaper legal alternatives exist.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
excellent show, lady and gents. Thanks so much to Steph for giving her insight...

had to laugh at the idea of a fan sending a pic of themselves and the DVD to a company and saying: I'd buy a dub.

That would be handy. Fans should keep that in mind, in this electronic age of eMail. Real Letters have a larger impact on companies than electronic correspondance. So, WRITE your company a letter, tell them what you like, what you hate, and so forth.

Remember people... the persons that make the anime we watch, the manga we read... They do the JOB and then they get PAID. If you do not buy their wares, then they cannot do the job. Even when you watch stuff "free" on TV, you are watching ads and THAT is how things are paid for. Also remember that DVD and such have a retail markup, because the business you buy from needs to make a profit too. This is how everyone eats cake. The baker bakes it, and then you buy it from them.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the money being lost on dub DVDs is all just piracy.

I got tired of paying $30USD for 4 episodes of something I may or may not like. The last series I collected in its entirety is Samurai Champloo, and I was done.

13 episode collections or entire series collections is all I'm willing to pay for anymore.

If the studios would have been smarter at distribution then they would have had a better chance at surviving. Not every anime needs a DVD collection in other countries, and not every anime needs a dub.

I couldn't even imagine trying to collect the entire Dragonball or Naruto anime on DVD, especially in sequences of 4 episodes.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
No way am I collecting Dragon Ball, that's WAY too long, oh library, how happy I am that you have box sets!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I really hope dubbing does not go away. I will buy sub-only DVDs but I prefer watching both. I even watch crappy dubs and doubt I ever will watch such a horrid dub that I will switch to the Japanese. As of now, the company producing a majority of dubs now is Funimation. With California, the anime now is mainly Shippuden and Bleach. I love how Justin asks Zac if Zac reads his column.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't think the money being lost on dub DVDs is all just piracy.

I got tired of paying $30USD for 4 episodes of something I may or may not like. The last series I collected in its entirety is Samurai Champloo, and I was done.

13 episode collections or entire series collections is all I'm willing to pay for anymore.

If the studios would have been smarter at distribution then they would have had a better chance at surviving. Not every anime needs a DVD collection in other countries, and not every anime needs a dub.

Most companies are starting to move away from that kind of distribution method (1 dvd= 4-5 episodes). There are of course the exceptions but in general the trend seems to be at least 7 episodes in a release to 13 and even a full season. You can even see full episodes of a series legally before you buy (I just did that with Big Windup!)
Unfortunately without continued financial support this industry is just not going to survive. I guess I'm just tired of hearing weak excuses for not purchasing a series (or at least watching it legally online for free).

It's nice to hear more about the dub industry and what's currently happening in it. I just learned quite a bit this weekend myself but there is only so much one person can do. This "free rider problem" facing the anime industry is going to be hard to over come unless there is a collective effort on the part of the anime fans. I'm not saying you should buy every series that comes out (I know I don't), but at least purchase the ones you like, even if they are released in a way you may or may not like.

Last edited by Cosplaybunny on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7