• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sheh's All That

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I love the idea of On-Demand DVD/BD (having been the only person in the anime business that tried to make it work). Sadly, the numbers just don't make sense. The costs to manufacture are too high, and the technical limitations too frustrating.

In the end, it's a lot cheaper and easier to just pay for a small 500-disc replication run and let it sit in a warehouse, available through online stores only, like how Right Stuf does it. I predict you'll be seeing a lot more of that in the future.

Not sure how that would work with Blu-ray, since I haven't priced replication for that. But with blank discs still in the $5-6 range, I can't see it being THAT different. I just see the overall cost-to-entry to be higher.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

The idea of the industry going download-only scares me (sorry for being over dramatic) as I have absolutely no interest in watching computer files for all my anime.
It's just too much of a hassle, because essentially I'd have to hook a computer up to every TV in the house in order to watch something.
PC World has a wi-fi device that will connect any tele in your house to one computer, so you can watch your files on your 50" LED display, if you had one . Wink
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Can we tell her about my $54K and $30K orders? That should cheer her up. Very Happy
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quark wrote:

It's just too much of a hassle, because essentially I'd have to hook a computer up to every TV in the house in order to watch something.
PC World has a wi-fi device that will connect any tele in your house to one computer, so you can watch your files on your 50" LED display, if you had one . Wink

There's an even easier route called an Xbox 360. Save your video files to a specific folder on your computer and they all pop up on your tv. Nifty Netflix option added to boot, as well as the capability to play video games and DVDs.

I still buy DVDs. More features, easy access, multiple audio options, not to mention that if you do manage to find a high quality file download you'd have to go through some nasty conversions to get everything from the sound to go properly through the stereo, to getting the subs to work right.

Still, technology is getting better, but there's nothing like having it all right there physically available for you to grab whenever you want. I don't like the idea of having paid downloads easily lost/deleted when I could get an official hard copy much harder to lose.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Still, technology is getting better, but there's nothing like having it all right there physically available for you to grab whenever you want. I don't like the idea of having paid downloads easily lost/deleted when I could get an official hard copy much harder to lose.

Let me introduce you to present time...

Gamers know the story of the $50 game that really cost $1,500... because they had to buy a new system to play it. I found myself in that position, but also in the position of not being able to play the new 1080p fansubs (before you start, I spend $500+ monthly on R1 DVDs.)

Since video was a primary driver, that led to re-evaluating the entire entertainment milieu in my living room. What I ended up with new:

1 - Media PC with graphics card 1080p/HDMI/1GB, BD drive (and fancy gaming keyboard)
1 - Arcsoft Total Media Theater Platinum (DVD/BD/file player software)
1 - 50" Panasonic Plasma (2008 top consumer model)
1 - Pioneer HD Receiver
1 - 5.1 Surround Speaker Set
Misc like an APC line conditioner ($125), wire, stands, gaming mousepad, etc

Existing (rarely used):
Playstation 2
Cable Box

Total cost? Under $4,000. Sounds like a lot? Read that list again... And I could cut my few extras/corners and get there for $3,000. Point when BestBuy will offer the same capability out of the box for $2,000? Less than 2 years.

Priceless? The ability to play any video file, from any current digital or physical format, in gorgeously upscaled or native 1080p, without getting up from my sofa except to load DVDs (not to mention flipping to ANN/Wikipedia for those anime references). I have a LOT of downloaded video connected to my old PC, and now it acts as the server to the media PC via ethernet (no need to re-copy files to the media PC). I login to my Crunchyroll subscription, and just click to watch 1080p/720p episodes. DVD and other "low resolution" video is upscaled very competently by the graphics card (much better compared to other components). I have access to any Internet based download/streaming service without the need for other devices. The TV includes its own net connection and built-in access to Amazon's DL service, and I can use other download/streaming services via my PC since all components are HDCP-compliant.

Trouble getting it to work? None. My local PC guru shop built the PC custom for this purpose, for parts and labor. Everything worked literally out of the box, a first in my 25-yr PC-A/V history. Support just in case? I call the same guy who configured and built it, not a call center in India.

File loss? A 1TB external USB drive costs $100 these days for backup. If you're really paranoid, it fits in a $200 home-sized fire-proof safe from Office Depot with room for 2 or 3.

I'm a big collector of R1 anime DVD, as I was for live action. I LIKE having the nice boxes on my shelf. But I'm suddenly living in a new world, and the experience of just clicking to download and watch something in DVD/BD quality feels pretty cool right now.

Technology changes, the market changes and people change over generations. I now can't imagine downloading not being the future, with physical media being relegated to a sort of aging die-hard collector audience willing to pay more. For example, a friend collects the newly re-issued vinyl copies of old rock albums because his ears can discern the difference between analog and digital. But that's a pretty elite market.
SD Maruko-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Because if they give you what you are asking for, they would have to be retarded.

If they release it download-to-own with DRM, you will complain about the DRM and not buy it.

If they release it without the DRM, it'd be up on Bittorrent within seconds and maybe 5 people would pay money for something they can get for free from another site.

Erm, haven't most music shops changed over to DRM-free mp3 files by now?
If music can do it, why not anime?
Besides, with DRM "to own" is a big fat lie. It's at most "rent with a not yet determined end time".
And the American anime companies must surely be glad that DVD's region coding is such
flimsy/easily breakable DRM, giving them extra revenue from DVD exports to other parts of the world... Wink

jsevakis wrote:

Quote:
Are these "free riders" also still not fans? Maybe they wouldn't be "leeches" if the industry would just give them what they want.

Maybe you would pay, maybe you think you would pay now but when presented with the opportunity would find another way to continue justifying your piracy. I'm telling you right now, most will not pay money for something they can easily get for free.

In any event, leeches may enjoy your product, but at the end of the day if they aren't paying for it, they might as well not exist. They're not part of an ecosystem that allows you to continue to make your product, so their input is unimportant at the present time.

Yes, but the companies should also not see them as part of the ecosystem.
I think that for a very large part of the real leeches the following would be true:
if you take away their free supply of anime, they'll just migrate to another free hobby
instead of spending money on anime, so there are no "lost sales" there and
they shouldn't be seen as part of the "potential market"...

PS: when I go to for ex. the SHAFT website, why isn't there an engrish page with
a Paypal donate button, so I can send them a "thank you" for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei?
(replace with your studio and title of choice)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

If they remove DRM then you could burn it to a disc.
If. Only two letters, but such a BIG word. Wink
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Techno babble

Yeah... it looks to me like I'm doing it for a heck of a lot cheaper. Razz Not counting the cost of my flatscreen and surround sound system I already had all I bought was the Xbox360 for 300$. If I have to convert an HD file to play and properly on the xbox an don't feel like waiting for it I just hook up my laptop directly to the tv via the old HDMI-to-DVI I used before I made the Xbox the central entertainment hub. I have a nifty remote control Dell threw in with my laptop two years back I can use, and a regular wireless mouse.

PS3 I'll continue to use for Blu-ray.

I'll eventually shell out the money for one of those fireproof backup storage devices, but not for a very long time so until then I'll not be buying my anime to keep digitally, especially if they haven't properly developed a way to give me dub and sub, with soft subs I can mess around with on my computer.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
pparker wrote:
Techno babble

Yeah... it looks to me like I'm doing it for a heck of a lot cheaper.

Oh, I agree. I was using my laptop before with wireless to my server, and a regular DVD player for discs. But once I started in upgrading my old stuff, I just couldn't stop. My panel wasn't HD, so that was a given, but then the receiver didn't do HDMI, the sound system was kinda old, yadda, yadda... and there I was replacing everything. I only game on PC, so a PS3 didn't make sense just to play discs. Once I realized I didn't need a separate disc player, I liked that aspect as well.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

If they remove DRM then you could burn it to a disc.
If. Only two letters, but such a BIG word. Wink

Yeah, and then put a cheap looking label on it? With no keepcases? No thanks. Razz You see, I have a sort of obsessive-compulsive thing going on where I need things in my collection to look uniform and 'official' and nice. It's why I'm upset at the cost-cutting switch to lite-boxes, multi-disc keepcases and stackpacks and why I really dislike the idea of physical media going the way of VHS in favor of downloads.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry for not having much to add in, but it's about damn time someone was able to make a good podcast like AWO. I got tired of all those other Naruto and Bleach obsessed podcasts.

I learned my lesson with downloading and not having an actual copy. There is a much greater chance of my date being corrupted or my computer not working than my DVDs being crushed. Down with digital distribution! Pretty damn useless in cases like iTunes where I lost my password and never got to finish Tactics ever again.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Down with digital distribution!

Hey, most of us physical media guys don't want digital distribution to go away, we're just hoping for a future where physical media and digital media can co-exist, just as how CD sales have diminished because of iTunes and the like, but CD's aren't going away because some of us will always want a pre-packaged physical copy of the music we buy.

If I was into digital media, I'd probably back up everything as a precaution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Physical media and legal streaming are what anime needs now and here on. For manga, more simultaneous releases like they are doing with Rin-Ne.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

I've been totally huge on Sword of the Stranger

I've been totally on a huge Sword of the Stranger

Shocked dyslexia rocks ...er...sometimes

I thought he was saying "Sort of a Stranger". I was like 'I don't get it but I'll go along for the ride...

----->Pie vs Cake - If you have to ask, you'll never know

No contest really. I mean, literally, why even ask.

A good pie beats cake every time and vice versa. And then sometimes it's a tie...Haupia pie...no wait...Lilikoi cake...ARRGH!

If you don't know what those are, that's what you get for being a haole. Hawaiian for 'you're not from around here are you'.

enough trolling

no, wait, here's more...

I think it's wrong to keep calling illegal d/ling 'getting anime for 'free''.It has a price, it always has a price, whether you pay it or not. It's more like 'easy to steal'.

It's just like peoples' names: we don't stop having them just because no one talks to me.

So anyway,
I like the Podcast, even the parts where Zac talks. You have to get Clarissa back on, she was fun, too.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Physical media and legal streaming are what anime needs now and here on. For manga, more simultaneous releases like they are doing with Rin-Ne.
Sadly even that appears to be region blocked. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7