• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hunter x Hunter DVD Set 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
Ugh, nice review, but why won't any of the staff give the anime the respect it deserves? Anime hyper

The anime fleshes out the characters more effectively and doesn't rush through things, which it would have if it had followed the manga panel for panel.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Sure took a while for them to review this. I mean it came out last month. But whatever I don't mind. Though I don't see how people
think the Sub is better than the dub. Yeah the dub may not be brilliant
but in all honesty I think the sub is downright horrible. I mean Illumi
just sounds ugk! There are very few voices I like from the sub and those I do I find average at best. Again the dub isn't exactly a stellar
cast but you can't deny that Brendan Hunter as Hisoka REALLY steals
the show. Also whoever plays Illumi SAVED the character. For real.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Great to see a better review this time around than the first DVD set. I agree completely with this review. I also internally groaned when we got the whole 'Nen' spiel, but Togashi really was able to splice it into the story extremely well, and even make it quite creative.

The Tower part is a bit repetitive, but at least the fights are over rather quickly (compared to other tournament shounen fighters). Hisoka and Gon's fight there is absolutely grand. I always loved the part where spoiler[Gon gives back the number from the Hunter Exam as well].

Anyway, it's good to see that the reviewer sees it as a mature shounen, cause that's what it is. The first 15 episodes sure didn't make it seem so, but HxH is one of the more gritty shounen titles out there. A shame to hear about the lackluster performance continuing in this section. Oh well, I'll continue to enjoy the Japanese voices with subtitles then.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
For those of who are interested here is the full cast and crew
for Hunter x Hunter English Dub

http://www.crystalacids.com/database/title/1357/hunter-x-hunter/fullcast/1

Also I tried to update the Hunter x Hunter page here.
Anyone want to help?
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:
Sure took a while for them to review this. I mean it came out last month. But whatever I don't mind. Though I don't see how people
think the Sub is better than the dub. Yeah the dub may not be brilliant
but in all honesty I think the sub is downright horrible. I mean Illumi
just sounds ugk! There are very few voices I like from the sub and those I do I find average at best. Again the dub isn't exactly a stellar
cast but you can't deny that Brendan Hunter as Hisoka REALLY steals
the show. Also whoever plays Illumi SAVED the character. For real.

I really don't have a problem with the dub. I absolutely love Killua's voice. It's just so perfect, I always wish he'd say more so I could keep hearing it. I think English Hisoka is great too. Definitely captures the infatuated maniac sound of the original. Most of the other voices, including the throwaway background characters have pretty good acting too. The ones that don't appeal too much to me are Gon and Kurapica. Especially when watching scenes where Kurapica talks a lot, I find myself wanting to switch over to Japanese. Also I really didn't like what I heard of Senritsu in the one episode she's in on this box. It almost sounds like she's speaking too close to the microphone or something, which is not good because she's supposed to be a very soft-voiced character. Other than that, the dub is pretty solid, and the translation is very accurate.

One thing I found annoying at first during these Heavan's Arena episodes was how they had Zushi, Gon, and Killua saying "Osu!" all the time. I kind of expected they would have changed it to something like "Sir!" I don't so much have a problem with them using the word, because a lot of people in America will know about it from say Karate classes or something, as I do with how they tended to pronounce it "os-SU" instead of "OS-su." Although as the training episodes went on the actors got a lot better at saying it, and it stopped bothering me.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Killua is great in the English dub. Better than the Japanese.
Kurapica isn't great because AGAIN they cast a female for an
young man (He's 17.) But I can tolerate it after a while.

I updated the ANN page on Hunter x Hunter.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:
Yeah Killua is great in the English dub. Better than the Japanese.
Kurapica isn't great because AGAIN they cast a female for an
young man (He's 17.) But I can tolerate it after a while.

I updated the ANN page on Hunter x Hunter.

Actually, Gon and Killua were both 12 (or nearly 12) when they took the Hunter exam.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Gon and Killua were both 12 (or nearly 12) when they took the Hunter exam.

What does THAT have to do with anything?
I said KURAPIKA is 17. Not Gon or Killua.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a problem with the english dub. I mean how can you not point out Breandon Hunter as Hisoka? He nailed and sounded better than the orginal in my opinion. Gon's Va gets better and Killua is perfect.

As for the volume I love the heaven's areana arc. Hisoka vs Gon was great. I expect great things in the final box set.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting anyone to dub this series. It has no where near the shonen popularity as Naruto or Bleach. It's certainly an entertaining series, but the characters just aren't that cool
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I wasn't expecting anyone to dub this series. It has no where near the shonen popularity as Naruto or Bleach. It's certainly an entertaining series, but the characters just aren't that cool

What? Gon, Leorio, Killua, Kurapica, Hisoka, and quite a few other characters are cool.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:

My apologies; I misread your post.

I don't have any complaints about Kurapika's Japanese VA though. Smile

Last edited by HyugaHinata on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
mrsticky005 wrote:

My apologies; I misread your post.

I don't have any complaints about Kurpika's Japanese VA though. Smile

On behalf of the Cherokee Nation of which I do not represent:
I forgive you.
Mirri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I think that Hisoka's english voice actor is quickly getting a hold of the character - just wait until spoiler[G.I.] when he has to make even creepier noises.

As for the whole Kurapika/Kurapica debacle, I think that it was appropriate for them to cast a very androgynous sounding person, until they started using "HE".

Kurapika really has a tendency towards androgyny. Wearing that Robe, dress, thing, over normal male clothing, and wearing an earring - at the beginning of the series especially with shower scenes and the Leorio thing, it could've gone either way.

I really hope that the OVAs got licensed with the TV Series because the TV series just doesn't feel complete without OVA 1. OVA 2 and OVA 3 take such a drastic change in direction that they're not as high up in my book, because they went the whole "kids' anime, bright colors, far less violence." route.

Not exactly a friendly jump from cel to computer animation.[/spoiler]
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:17 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
I think that Hisoka's english voice actor is quickly getting a hold of the character - just wait until spoiler[G.I.] when he has to make even creepier noises.

As for the whole Kurapika/Kurapica debacle, I think that it was appropriate for them to cast a very androgynous sounding person, until they started using "HE".

spoiler[Kurapika really has a tendency towards androgyny. Wearing that Robe, dress, thing, over normal male clothing, and wearing an earring - at the beginning of the series especially with shower scenes and the Leorio thing, it could've gone either way.
]

I agree. And I'm rooting for Kurapika being revealed as a herm in the end. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2