• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Stops Streaming Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
I just wanna see them upload Ultimate Muscle, dammit! Crying or Very sad
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Well dang :/ just when 4kids was starting to like the idea of Japanese episodes and getting rid of their bad image, this happens

weren't the episodes only available to North American viewers anyway? I don't get what the big deal is if that was the case

and I don't know if them trying to comfort us with "oh don't worry! even though the actual meat and bones of the franchise is gone, GX and 5ds are still here!" actually helps much :/

I am kinda glad about sonic x tho Anime smile + sweatdrop

Ojamajo Doremi next please? or Mew Mew? they don't even hafta be in Japanese, I'd be happy enough just to see something girly on that channel :/
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
Well dang :/ just when 4kids was starting to like the idea of Japanese episodes and getting rid of their bad image, this happens

weren't the episodes only available to North American viewers anyway? I don't get what the big deal is if that was the case

and I don't know if them trying to comfort us with "oh don't worry! even though the actual meat and bones of the franchise is gone, GX and 5ds are still here!" actually helps much :/

Well, they're still doing what they can. If it can't be helped, then it can't be helped. Rights are rights.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
If it can't be helped, then it can't be helped. Rights are rights.

Maybe, but if they already know this, they shouldn't start to broadcast those episodes and tease people with this. Many people will be pissed off with that kind of corporate stupidity.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
weren't the episodes only available to American viewers anyway? I don't get what the big deal is if that was the case

Ojamajo Doremi next please? or Mew Mew? they don't even hafta be in Japanese, I'd be happy enough just to see something girly on that channel :/

Fixed. The video was locked to US only.

They no longer have the license to Doremi, and Mew Mew AFAIK.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

Well, they're still doing what they can. If it can't be helped, then it can't be helped. Rights are rights.

I know :/ but it still kinda stinks
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
weren't the episodes only available to American viewers anyway? I don't get what the big deal is if that was the case

Incorrect. The videos were available to view in Canada. Sonic X, on the other hand, WON'T be since it's only streaming on Hulu.

Do companies realize that Hulu is not viewable in Canada when they make deals like this? I'm sort of convinced that they don't.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
What's really weird is that the article originally said that the rights issue had to do with one of the original voice actors, but this was since removed:

http://nebs66.livejournal.com/985619.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
What's really weird is that the article originally said that the rights issue had to do with one of the original voice actors, but this was since removed:

http://nebs66.livejournal.com/985619.html
I wonder if that same VA is in those other Yugioh shows being streamed.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I wonder if that same VA is in those other Yugioh shows being streamed.

Obviously not, otherwise they couldn't sub them.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
WHAT?!

Are there gonna be "rights issues" with 5Ds and GX, too? Mad
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is a result of them being up for sale or whatever it was that was posted a few days/weeks ago.

Not so much a rights issue, as it is maybe a finances or the japanese companies saying 'Sorry, we'd prefer to not be dragged down with you.'

Not hating mind you, just speculating.
Vent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
WHAT?!

Are there gonna be "rights issues" with 5Ds and GX, too? Mad

Didn't they just say there wouldn't be?

Kyogissun wrote:
I wonder if this is a result of them being up for sale or whatever it was that was posted a few days/weeks ago.

Not so much a rights issue, as it is maybe a finances or the japanese companies saying 'Sorry, we'd prefer to not be dragged down with you.'

Not hating mind you, just speculating.

No, it probably has to do with the fact that the original voice actor for Bakura died around the point where the subs had reached.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Primus wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

Incorrect.

Ooh. Well, in my defense, I only checked the episodes back when they first started doing this, and I distinctly remember getting "This video is not available in your country." from Youtube, then I stopped trying.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
Huh. I'd say it's weird to think that it's actually the Japanese company instead of 4Kids that's screwed us over on this one, but then I think of Toei. Full stop. :P

Anyways. 5D's with English subs? Count me in. :3 (Yeah, I can't believe 4Kids is actually putting out something I wanna watch either. Let's just hope there aren't any more "rights issues"...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2