• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name reading assistance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
I personally prefer ou to ō, but revised hepburn not wapuro is the officially recognised romanization scheme both here and on Wikipedia and it uses macrons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
For the new FMA movie, 2nd Key Animation: 鈴木俊玄

Not sure if this is a typo or not.... The Suzuki part is obvious enough, but what about the given name?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jomy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The ED credits of all episodes of the Yoroiden Samurai Troopers OAV Message are pretty neatly divided into Cast and Staff. The word Cast appears on its own on the screen approximately 20 seconds into the ED, and then later, the word Staff appears the same way approximately 56 seconds into the ED. Basically, in episode 4 of this OAV, after the voice actors for Date Seiji and Suzunagi, 5 names appear without any specifications as to their roles. They are:

伊藤 学, 庄子 隆一, 浜中 博史, 立花 幸博, 千葉 耕市

I was able to figure out the first one and the last three. In that order, they are: Manabu Itō, Hiroshi Hamanaka, Yukihiro Tachibana, Koichi Chiba. In episode 5 of this OAV, Manabu Itō has a credit as Man A, Hiroshi Hamanaka has a credit as Man B, and Koichi Chiba has a credit as Ushering voice. Since I could identify these, I submitted them. However, the one I couldn't figure out, and which I bolded, has a credit in episode 5 as Man C. Does anyone have any idea who he is?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
However, the one I couldn't figure out, and which I bolded, has a credit in episode 5 as Man C. Does anyone have any idea who he is?

The likeliest reading of his name is Ryūichi Shōji. He doesn't appear to be in the Encyclopedia already, and I can't really find any voice actor-related information with a Google search. Could be he's just an obscure one-time actor, or a typo (but it's hard to say in the latter case unless we can find a voice actor with a very similar name - I've tried looking but can't really find anything).
jomy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
The likeliest reading of his name is Ryūichi Shōji. He doesn't appear to be in the Encyclopedia already, and I can't really find any voice actor-related information with a Google search. Could be he's just an obscure one-time actor, or a typo (but it's hard to say in the latter case unless we can find a voice actor with a very similar name - I've tried looking but can't really find anything).

Babylon 9, the translation website, agrees with you. But it's not a typo. The kanji for his name in the ED credits were very clear, easy to find in the Radical lookup. Also, I would think that YST being an older series (episodes 4 and 5 of Message were released in July and August of 1991), if there were to be any typo, it would be with a more recent voice actor credit.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote
衛光 空

Sora/Kū Eikō?/Morimitsu? Not sure what to make of this name. The person is credited for storyboard in episode 6 of Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth. Can't find any reference to him or her being involved in anything else. Perhaps it could be a one-time pseudonym.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
塚貴輝町 is one of Fumiaki Kouta's pen names. I'm trying to figure out how this is read so I can submit a complete purge/merge request.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
塚貴輝町 is one of Fumiaki Kouta's pen names. I'm trying to figure out how this is read so I can submit a complete purge/merge request.

ENAMDICT says that "塚貴" is not a valid name, and that the only valid reading for "塚" is "Kenzaki" ("けんざき"). It says that "貴輝町" is either "Atsuki" ("あつき") or "Takateru" ("たかてる"), but neither ["けんざき あつき" "塚貴輝町"] or ["けんざき たかてる" "塚貴輝町"] yields any results in Google searches, nor does even ["塚貴輝町" "けんざき"].
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

It's possible he will have an officially-provided name when FUNimation releases DenYuDen on DVD/BD. Other than that, it's hard to say on unusual pen names like this...
braves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
braves wrote:

ENAMDICT says that "塚貴" is not a valid name, and that the only valid reading for "塚" is "Kenzaki" ("けんざき"). It says that "貴輝町" is either "Atsuki" ("あつき") or "Takateru" ("たかてる"), but neither ["けんざき あつき" "塚貴輝町"] or ["けんざき たかてる" "塚貴輝町"] yields any results in Google searches, nor does even ["塚貴輝町" "けんざき"].
I see. I hadn't thought of the given name being written with 3 characters instead of a two, even though I know I've seen it before a bunch of times. I think I'll take Brandon up on waiting to see if FUNimation will translate the OP credits on Denyuden. Thanks.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I think I'll take Brandon up on waiting to see if FUNimation will translate the OP credits on Denyuden. Thanks.

I just got to checking on this recently. FUNimation's credits spell it out as "Terumachi Tsukataka". Apparently 塚貴輝町 is a kind of reversal of his more common alias 輝町使高 (used for his first OP credit in Denyuden), which the English credits spells "Tukataka Terumachi" (and not Shitaka Kamachi as it currently is in ANN). "Tsukataka" can be taken from component kanji readings of both 使高 and 塚貴, so this makes more sense than the alternatives seeing that connection. Unfortunately I can't find any more official examples for the more common alias, as others I've checked (FMA Brotherhood, Ōkami-san, Sengoku Basara 2) don't translate the section he would be included in.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
玉田睦益 - Something TAMADA?
高橋範充 - Something TAKAHASHI?
鋺緒類似 - No Earthly idea.

Sorry to bump, but I found another one. I can't get anything on either name, I'm thinking it's some kind of mistake...
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
加田山実之

This could be a mistake, I suppose. A google search only returns 17 hits, including several anime sites listing credits for D.Gray Man. Dan's custom google search brings results for the second season of Code Geass, Gundam 00 Part 2, Tiger and Bunny and Occult Academy. I'm not sure if its 加田山 実之 or 加田 山実之. Neither of the 3 character names return any readings on ENAMDICT. 実之 gives Miyuki or Mitsuyuki, and 加田 gives Kada, Kata or Kuwata.

I suspect that 加田山実之's credits have been entered in Miyuki Katayama's page, because she has all the above credits with the correct episode precisions except for D.Gray Man.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
For the sake of wossnim, here's the screenshot from Occult Academy 6.

It doesn't give any clues like character spacing or indicating a company they work for or anything. FWIW, instinct says the 山 is part of the surname. While 加田山 isn't in Enamdict/JMnedict, there is at least Katayama on Facebook using it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
荻達魚

I suspect this is not Japanese. (I'm entering it for Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei! key animation ep 5)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8