• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's Ponyo Drops to #12 with US$2.4 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mainstream TV review shows have given Ponyo about half "see it" and half "rent it." Many parents in the theaters hadn't even heard of the movie till reading it on a Disney e-mailing list or family promo brochures.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol: I'm guessing mainstream tv shows think every animated movie has to be in CG for it to be a "see it". Rolling Eyes
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Wait for the DVD. The thought of hearing the Jonas Brother and Miley Cyrus' cousin just makes me wanna listen to the original Japanese version even more.

They actually did an excellent job in their roles. This dub was great, you're crazy.

So if they got the star power for the film, why aren't the tweens flocking to the theaters to hear their pop idols do VA work?

Except they aren't pop idols. The Jo Bro is the youngest one, and isn't in the band. And the Cyrus is a cousin who isn't in Hannah Montana.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol: I'm guessing mainstream tv shows think every animated movie has to be in CG for it to be a "see it". Rolling Eyes

A person who said "see it" likes that it is traditional 2D animation (IIRC "At the Movies").

Those who said "rent it" question the hurried-paced sometimes-convoluted storyline.
darkstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Well my boys & I just went to see it and we loved it. Now, mind you all I had to say to my 10 year-old was that it was made by the same person who did Totoro, Howl, Kiki, etc. & he was all over it, LOL! It was fun & not overly "tricked out" with effects and fancy stuff and i have to say I actually liked the "remix" of the theme that was played at the end of the film.

We will definitely be getting the DVD when it comes out. Now I need to finish getting the other Ghibli/Miyazaki movies that I need to finish out my collection.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3