• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Licenses Princess Knight Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
So its not this Princess Knight?

I thought it was this one when I saw the story on Right Stuf's site and did a search for the show. I got me thinking "wtf? Right Stuf is publishing hentai now?". Then I realized it was the wrong one.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Cool to get more Classics, i'm enjoying this recent trend although this tends to lean more to Right Stuf licences like Kimba, Astro Boy Etc
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
So its not this Princess Knight?

I thought it was this one when I saw the story on Right Stuf's site and did a search for the show. I got me thinking "wtf? Right Stuf is publishing hentai now?". Then I realized it was the wrong one.

They have their own hentai division too you know.

company#2076
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Just got a little emotional. In all my 18 years of life, I would've never expected this to happen. I adore anything Tezuka, and Princess Knight is especially amazing. This is going to be a release to remember.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

company#2076

I'd totally be up for them licensing Inda no Himekishi Janne and Princess Knight Catue.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Critical Mass Video, great name for a hentai label. 'Twisted Evil'
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
EpicLotus wrote:
I'll likely support this release, but I'm also with those that don't understand the preference for the cut English dubs over a sub-only release. I didn't understand it for Astro Boy or Kimba, either. I realize there's probably a small market that has a nostalgic bent for older Tezuka titles when they were on TV, but I'd be amazed if those are the same people buying DVD sets of them today.

Doesn't it make a bit more sense to cater to the current crowd of folks that are buying retro releases from the likes of Discotek by just putting out an uncut, sub-only set?

It's impossible to release the entire Astro Boy series uncut, and in Japanese, since a great deal of the original episodes don't exist in their original Japanese. The current Japanese broadcasts feature episodes dubbed back from the English version, since that's all that's completely available.

Overall, I'm glad a classic like this is finally being releases to DVD (the original Cyborg 009 would also be awesome. Just sayin...).
manhiem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I think this is fhe first time I've ever heard of any major US anime distributor putting a Spanish dub on an anime. But rather than talk about how significant that might be, the only thing most of the commentors here seem to be able to do is whine about the fact that they're not getting an uncut version with the Japanese language track. Unbelievable. Sad

Can anyone even say for certain that all of the episodes are available in their original, uncut versions? The RightStuf press release did say something about the availablity of materials.

Last edited by manhiem on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

company#2076

Ah, I completely forgot they had one. The only publisher I can remember most of the time that had a hentai division is Media Blasters(Kitty Media label).

manhiem wrote:
Wow. I think this is fhe first time I've ever heard of any major US anime distributor putting a Spanish dub on an anime.

Nope, it's not the first one to offer a spanish dub track by a US publisher. There's been a few. But the one I can remember is Bandai putting English & Spanish dubs, along with original japanese audio track in the releases for Saber Marionette J.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:

manhiem wrote:
Wow. I think this is fhe first time I've ever heard of any major US anime distributor putting a Spanish dub on an anime.

Nope, it's not the first one to offer a spanish dub track by a US publisher. There's been a few. But the one I can remember is Bandai putting English & Spanish dubs, along with original japanese audio track in the releases for Saber Marionette J.

Fighting Spirit/Hajime no Ippo also had a Spanish language track (Geneon).

I'm happy for all the people who wanted this classic, but sadly Tezuka anime/manga is not one of my interests.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The fifth DBZ movie also had the spanish audio track as well as the cut versons of Cyborg 009. I'm actually happy they're added the Spanish track since I speak Spanish. Wish they could also add it to Rose of Versailles.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
The fifth DBZ movie also had the spanish audio track as well as the cut versons of Cyborg 009. I'm actually happy they're added the Spanish track since I speak Spanish. Wish they could also add it to Rose of Versailles.

I also wish FUNi had added the Spanish dub to the original Dragon Ball; it is the version I watched years ago.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The Ultimate Uncut "Vegeta Saga" singles of Dragon Ball Z also had a Spanish dub track and once FUNi dropped those releases in favor of the orange bricks, they tried re-releasing the Spanish dub episodes in singles again only in 16:9 like the bricks but they were dropped as well.

Viz's dub-only Megaman NT Warrior DVDs also came with a Spanish dub and some of ADV's older titles had Spanish dubs as well like the Blue Seed TV series (which was also kept for each re-release because they used the same original discs for each set).
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
So wait! The Right Stuf release of Princess Knight is going to be in edited, dub format only on the grounds that these are the only materials to be found on this side of the Pacific and it is impossible to get the original uncut Japanese footage due to the dissolution of Mushi studios and the junking of the telecines by the subsequent rights holders.

And yet, the Italian release of Princess Knight is fully uncut with both Italian and Japanese language tracks, the same uncut footage that was supposedly "junked" by the rights holders who came into possession of it after the dissolution of Mushi studios...

I smell a rat.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
So wait! The Right Stuf release of Princess Knight is going to be in edited, dub format only on the grounds that these are the only materials to be found on this side of the Pacific and it is impossible to get the original uncut Japanese footage due to the dissolution of Mushi studios and the junking of the telecines by the subsequent rights holders.

And yet, the Italian release of Princess Knight is fully uncut with both Italian and Japanese language tracks, the same uncut footage that was supposedly "junked" by the rights holders who came into possession of it after the dissolution of Mushi studios...

I smell a rat.

This has already been answered, please try to keep up. Right Stuf is not the company that released the title in Italy, so they have no rights to any of the materials that a company there uses. That's assuming that release is even fully uncut, which is questionable.

Right Stuf is known for going to great lengths to get titles licensed and released here in the US, including some like Utena that most had written off as being unable to be licensed. It's unlikely that this is case of Right Stuf saying "hey, we could get the original Japanese track and footage, but we just don't feel like it."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5