• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discotek Media Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?19332-Discotek-Media-licenses-Blue-Submarine-No-6&p=228024&viewfull=1#post228024
Discotek Media wrote:
Hi Fandom post! Discotek here.

When we first made the DVD version, we used the masters from the Blue Fleet box set that was released in Japan. The company actually sent us the sample along with the master tapes. So we have the Blue Fleet set in our possession. We had read on this very forum that the Blue Fleet set was the best version that you could get. So we decided that we would use the masters for that. When we checked the video quality, it was WAY WAY better than the BE DVD that came out in 2000. So of course we would use that better video. It also had the same English subtitles that were on the Bandai Entertainment DVD. And it has the English dub already synched to the better video quality. There’s no 5.1 English dub that we could find. The dub on the BE DVD is 2.0, and the Blue Fleet box set is 2.0, the Japanese blu ray is 2.0. The Japanese tracks are 5.1.

We did not know about there being an alternate dub. We did know that there was a Toonami movie version that had a bunch of scenes cut but since we were releasing the full Japanese version the dubs wouldn’t match up so we didn’t even consider it a possibility that the dub for these Japanese releases would be somehow changed. We didn’t compare the dub from the BE DVD to the Blue Fleet set because we haven’t seen anyone mention that the Japanese versions used the Toonami dub. We even used a very knowledgeable person who has been involved with many US anime releases in the past to author the BD. He didn’t know there were two dubs. We now know that it’s the same voice actors but apparently they changed some lines to make them less offensive. There’s one line thats different in the first episode I believe. There are various other lines in later episodes. We would have been happy to put the BE dub on the BD but as an extra. The dub on the Japanese BD is uncompressed and sounds much better so we went with that. So apparently all Japanese releases use the Toonami version, at least the Blue Fleet box and the Blu Ray.

What we plan on doing in the future is making a single disc DVD that will have the Bandai Entertainment version of the dub on it, along with the Japanese and English subtitles. And we will use the Blue Fleet video since that is the best quality. We will probably just do it as an Amazon or online exclusive type thing. So anyone that really needs that dub can get that specific version. We will update here when this disc is ready and point to where it can be bought.

It will be next year sometime when we do this, we have to synch the BE audio to the Blue Fleet video. We are very busy right now trying to work on so many new titles including a bunch of Lupin the 3rd stuff. We are sorry this happened but it was unintentional and would have used the BE DVD dub had we known it was an issue.

And also in the future, if there’s ever a title that you see we are releasing and this could happen please send an email from the Discotek web site and we will definitely check it out and make changes if possible before its too late.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
For differences between the Bandai DVD & Toonami dubs, go here.

animenewsnetwork.com/edit-list/2001-12-03/blue-submarine-no.6

And that "knowledgeable person" they're talking about is Justin Sevakis and he was recently asked about this as well and his response was the same.

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/427302862347972608

A bit of a shame that it had to come to this since there were a lot of angry complaints over this issue but then again, Bandai Visual posted the DVD dub on Hulu months before Discotek licensed the show so it's somewhat understandable since BV still has that master.

I'll give Discotek credit for one thing here and that's for actually getting more than one video master for this show since the Japanese BD was known for being a Q-Tec upscaled mess similar to FLCL and the Blue Fleet DVD's quality is superior compared to that and the old Bandai DVDs we used to have so to that I say excellent work and hopefully the heat cools down since they are going to do something about that dub.

With that out of the way, I'm actually concerned about this.

Discotek Media wrote:
We have actually passed on some older titles because we weren't allowed to include the English dub that came out in the US before. Sometimes the Japanese companies don't like the dub. They might think it isn't good enough quality, or it wasn't approved through them directly, or various other unknown reasons. Or in the original contract, the dubbing company might own the rights to the dub. And if that company goes out of business, then nothing can be done. There have been a few classics that we tried to get, but they said we could only release them subtitled. We are working on one right now that we are trying very hard to get the English dub for but if not we will release subtitled since it's a very good title even if it's subtitled only.

Luckily we were free and clear to include the Mad Bull 34 dub!

It's already known by now that Bandai Visual has not allowed certain dubs to be used for re-releases (see Maiden Japan's Black Magic M-66 & New Dominion Tank Police DVDs) and there was also the issues with Patlabor (no Manga UK dubs in BVUSA's DVDs of the movies hence their redubs & the first 5 TV episodes on Maiden Japan's discs having an edited version of CPM's dub) so I wonder how many BV titles they skipped over these dub issues? The only two I can think of right now are the original Appleseed and Devilman OVAs and if they passed on the latter then it's a darn shame since they have the 70s TV series now and Manga never gave the OVA a proper DVD release so a rescue of that is badly needed here.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
via Discotek Media Facebook page
Quote:
DNA 2 Complete Collection all 15 episodes. Japanese language with English subtitles, and the English dub. Coming June 24th 2014.

Quote:
Ringing Bell movie. Japanese language with English subtitles and the English dub. Also will include commentary with Mike Toole from ANN. Coming June 24th 2014.

Quote:
School Days complete 12 episode TV series and Magical Heart Kokoro-chan OVA. Japanese language with English subtitles. Coming June 24th 2014.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
SCHOOL DAYS??? NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!

That is a title I never thought would get released in N.A. Definitely a buy - Discotek, you guys rawk!
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
Since I'm assuming you have seen School Days.... what would you compare it to? Doesn't have to be anime. I want to know if it's something I'll enjoy (in what will very likely be a sick and creepy way, like S&M for the brain)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
@ classicalzawa - as I mentioned in the Talkback thread, there is literally nothing you can compare School Days to. I didn't know much about the title when I watched it so I'm going along, doo-de-doo-de-doo when suddenly BAM!!! Something I would never have expected in a kajillion years comes out of left field. One of the most satisfying emotional catharsis's I've ever had.

I honestly have no idea if you'd like it or hate it. That can't be predicted. And merely sampling a few episodes won't tell you how you'd ultimately feel if you watched the whole thing.

In good conscience I can't recommend it to anyone, all I can tell you is that I adore it.

I guess that isn't terribly helpful, is it? It's been a while since I've seen it, so I'll try to give you some sense of what I remember.

In the early episodes, it looks like its going to be a very conventional love triangle romance. As the show progresses, it becomes one of the most deeply cynical harems ever created without a shred of humour, but with a certain, oh my God I can't look away from this emotional nastiness flavour. Two of the lead characters become a pair of the most hateful douchebags in anime "romance" history. But then the ending. Oh my God the most wonderful, perfect ending EVAR!!!

You have to watch all 12 episodes just to savour that ending.

But yeah, you might hate it and bitterly regret the time you spent watching.

Last edited by Blood- on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd compare it to trying to watch all of Bible Black and Bible Black Origins in English
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, then could you tell me i you think it has good rewatch value at least?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, because I haven't rewatched it yet. I'm dying to, though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Now, if the internet has maybe spoiled me on the ending (the general gist of it).... is it still worth my time?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
don't waste your money on school days, buy the video game instead Embarassed

DNA squared is pretty nostalgic. There was a premium on anime back then when you had to ship VHS tapes from japan, lol.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
School Days how cool. I love the franchise. Glad to see someone had the balls to offer it.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
That's a great price for Jin-Roh ($12.99) on Right Stuf. I think I'll be hanging on to my special edition version though, but I will pick up the BD to complement my DVD copy when its released later in the year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 29