• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino - You be the Interviewer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jccl8000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Dear Mr. Tomino:

In Mobile Suit Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny, many people criticized that the storylines couldn't live up to their expectation. What if we keep updating the Gundam theme corresponding to the current events and add some few twists on it? Would that work?

In your best opinion, what would you have done to improve the story and characters of Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, and Gundam 00, if you were the director of these series above? What else would you like to see and do? Question

Thanks, bye!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
As I recall, Tomino didn't want episode 15 aired because it was sub-standard in quality. And that's not far from the truth, the animation is absolutely dreadful in that episode. Problem is, I can't seem to dig up the interviews he said that on...I think he's answered it at least twice by now, though.

Anyway, questions...

Q1: At least from my experience with the English speaking anime community, Yoshiyuki Tomino anime is typically broadly defined as "depressing" and known mainly for having high body counts. How do you feel about that?

Q2: People often debate over the presence of an "anti-war" theme in Gundam, as although the series are known for showing how horrible war can be, they also commonly demonstrate fighting to be the only solution (like in ZZ Gundam and Char's Counterattack), which could be thought of as "pro-war". Do you feel Gundam is "anti-war", or that it even matters?

Q3: (related to the second question, but more broad) At lot of people try to search for a specific overall "message" or "moral" in your series. Do you think each show has something like that? Does it matter whether it does?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun: By Dororo revival, do you mean anime? Because they just made a PS2 game and an LA movie a few years back.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
Question: Looking back, do you feel more at ease as a Director or as a Writer? Why?

Question: Do you think that working on several different series not related to the Gundam franchise, such as Overman King Gainer, has allowed you to express new thoughts and ideas more freely?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Here's another relating to Turn A Gundam.

Question: Regarding Turn A Gundam's unconventional style. Did you intentionally want "ugly" or "strange" mecha designs for the series to combat the necessity of toy marketing? In other words, because the mecha didn't look like toys, the anti-war message would not be contradicted by the marketing?

Also, would you work with Syd Mead again on another project?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
corks22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
Question: I recently read Peter Carey's Wrong About Japan. He suggested after an interview with Mr Yoshiyuki Tomino that the drive to sell the toys overrode the need for subtext, story and depth of characters (This is how i read it anyway). I was wondering if the matter of selling merchandise ever compromised certain story elements or certain directions for the series.

Thank you.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Question: Will we ever see a remake of Space Runaway Ideon?

Question 2: Will ZZ Gundam get a movie compilation?

Question 3: Are you completely done with the Gundam franchise?
AoiHonou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
Q: What are your thoughts about the upcoming Hollywood 3D-film movie adaptation of Astro Boy?

Q2: If there is an offer, are you willing to use your work e.g. M.S.G. for a Hollywood adaptation (live action or 3D animation)?

Last edited by AoiHonou on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
Has there ever been a dream project you've wanted to make but have never had the chance to do so?
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Son-kun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Son-kun, plenty of male characters died in Zeta Gundam.

spoiler[Jerid, Kacricon, Buran, Ben Wooder, Jamitov, Blex, Henken, Bask, Apolly, Roberto, Franklin Bidan, and Paptimus Scirocco.]

The females: spoiler[Four, Rosamia, Emma, Reccoa, Lira, Mouar, Sarah, and Hilda Bidan. ]

Looks to me like more male characters died. Though I would agree most of the emphasis was on the female deaths.

Yeah, but for most of those male characters, I didn't feel much sympathy (admittedly, most of them deserved it). Nor was it as effective. When Four died, that was really tragic. Being submitted to fight a war that's not your own based on your abilities. In contrast Lala, willingly put herself forth. It seems to be a constant theme of having some female sacrifice. By the time Victory Gundam came around, it was like Tomino was just parodying himself by having a whole female squad getting killed off. It's pretty depressing.

I think Tomino fancies himself a feminist, because Zeta really pushed the idea that women are caught up in wars just as men are, but unfortunately, by calling attention to "women suffering because of men's wars", he unintentionally creates the sexist attitude that women are just pawns and aren't responsible for what happens in war.

A better question might be if Tomino considers himself a feminist, or if he intends to project feminist views onto his works.

This and do you think ZZ, 0079 full 43 ep bilingual, and Victory will ever come stateside?
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
Mr. Tomino- What are your feelings on Gundam series not created by you like G, Wing, Seed, and 00? Do feel the directors of these series managed to do things you wanted to do but never thought of?
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
Two Questions:

Mr. Tomino, I know Turn A Gundam was meant to be a celebration of the Gundam franchise as a whole by representing the past series as part of Turn A's history, but with the addition of the Seed and 00 universes, how do they factor in to the "dark history", or are they meant to be excluded?

Do you still have enmity towards Victory Gundam?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:

Question 2: Do you think a Gundam series set on a different planet, like Mars where human beings colonize there would a fresh approach to a Gundam series? Or a series based around the idea of a race of humans that undergo a mutation in their human apperance and look more like aliens rather than human beings and future offspring resembling that way as well and not only do they look alien, but also consider themselves superior over humans, despite historically, once human themselves and a war between normal humans and mutated humans and normal humans don't consider the mutated ones human anymore?
Blue Gender anyone? Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
Here's two more. I know they're kind of long (especially the first) but I'm hoping someone can help me with them.

Question: Mr. Tomino, Gundam in general takes a very anti-war stance, showing the tragedies of war and the human toll that conflict brings. Yet, most of the franchise actually romanticises war and the people and machines that participate in it. There is a considerable emphasis on models and technical specifications, as if the Mobile Suits themselves are to be admired instead of being regarded as a necessary evil. Newtypes with their amazing abilities seem to inspire and amaze the audience just as often as they serve as a dangerous reminder as to the terrifying costs associated with battle. War is also shown to have a positive effect on developing the cast and making them mature as human beings. So, how do you reconcile the strong anti-war messages and the celebration of conflict that is Gundam at its most fundamental?

Question: A major theme in Gundam is that understanding one another can act as a symbol of peace. Do you hold out hope that humans will stop infighting? Do you believe it is necessary for humans to make a permanent peace with one another in order to truly evolve as a species? Or is war a necessary evil that spurs the human race on to greatness?

I'll try and improve them, so look out for their descendants later on in the thread.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
What recent artists of the younger generation do you admire? What works of theirs stand out to you?

In your story for the Gundam Evolve 5 short Quess has a much happier fate thanks to Amuro, which is a significant change. If you were creating Char's Counterattack today, how do you think the story might have been different?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6