• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Online MMORPG's New Trailer Video Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Man, I remember hearing about Dragon Ball Online whatever whatevers back in '92 or '95. I'm a DBZ fan but I can't believe there is enough in the DBZ universe to warrant a good MMORPG experience. Unless they rework some of the abilities in the series. But even then they'll have to add a bunch of abilities to give a more diverse move/technique pool. Or Ki weapons. Or Red Ribbon type tech.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the game hadn't officially launched yet? I remember seeing word on this a year ago but thought the game had officially launched then. Didn't realize it was still in beta testing.

Anyways, this looks interesting. I'm still wondering if in the future, we can see this brought over to the U.S. and Canada. Very Happy
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Last I heard about this was 2 or more years ago...wow, sure is taking awhile.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I'm a DBZ fan but I can't believe there is enough in the DBZ universe to warrant a good MMORPG experience.

I agree. The only thing it does have in it's advantage is if they made use of space travel. If so they could just create a load of original planets, races and history to go with them.
Not got much hope for this making it outside of Asia, but you never know when something is based around DBZ.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
They are really taking their time with this thing. The DBZ formula isn't that complicated.

1 part villain from another planet/dimension
1 part ridiculous power levels
1 part additional power levels
1 part spirit bomb

...and repeat.

Most of the development time must be spent modeling the crazy hair styles. For the clothes all you really need are different colored gi.

No, I like DBZ, but my interest in this game is pretty much gone.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
They are really taking their time with this thing. The DBZ formula isn't that complicated.

1 part villain from another planet/dimension
1 part ridiculous power levels
1 part additional power levels
1 part spirit bomb

...and repeat.

Most of the development time must be spent modeling the crazy hair styles. For the clothes all you really need are different colored gi.

No, I like DBZ, but my interest in this game is pretty much gone.

lol, that's kind of what we were saying. When you start to break it down, there really aren't too many options and abilities to make a really diverse class system compared to other MMORPGs. Heck, I think even Maple Stories has more options then the original DBZ series. They'll have to get creative or find creative ways to incorprate staple MMORPG functions and classes into the game. Since DBZ is basically where everyone is a powered up, melee wizard type. We do have healers like Dende and basically we have brawlers like most villians in the series, but everyone will want to make a "Goku" in the end unless they make the other classes really enticing to play.
Maruna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
This should really be a One Piece MMO instead. Now that's a universe that could handle it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I see the same problem the first Star Wars MMO had: most people wanted to be the super-cool, super-powerful people. Why would you want to be anything other than a Saiyajin? Or, excuse me, a Saiyajin/Human mix? To play anyone else, you might as well play as a farmer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The game was announced back in the summer of 07'. Due to what I imagine to be schedule restraints on Toriyama's behalf (with the Dragon Quest series and all), he's really taking his time with designing the characters and offering up different clothes, facial feaures (so you won't end up with having to choose the Goku archtype all the time), pallet swipes and color schemes. Then there's the timeline that leads up to the game's plot. The Saiyans are pretty much extinct (with humans possibly have some Saiyan-blood hybrid) as evident in the Z series. I, for one, am excited for the game. Despite not being a MMO fan, I'm really interested in Toriyama's heavy involvement with the game.

He's really going out his way to develop a storyline the leads up to these events. Earlier Dragon Ball adventures, with young Son Goku, had a rich enough universe to make something really immersive as an MMO, before it went to the generic DBZ style formula that everyone is so familar with. I think Toriyama's going more of the adventure feel of earlier part the series, which make sense. Imagine having everyone as an overpowered Saiyan, Artificial Human, or other Alien (ala Freeza). It just wouldn't be as fun. Besides if people want to duke it out DBZ style, that's what the Sparking!/Tenkaichi series is for. You got Raging Blast coming out as well, so there ya go. I think it's a good thing that the staff is taking their time with the development making sure its perfect as possible. Who knows with all this development time, I wouldn't be surprised to see a simultaneous release for the PC and, presumably, the 360 version.
zarikx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but do you really think we'll get a release here in america? Even with dbz's large fan base I doubt a company would want to throw another mmo out there with wow practically monopolizing the people from those games. I'd sure love to play it though Anime smile
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
Why not? There are MMORPGs for Korean audiences that Americans can play right now, and they aren't even based on any property such as a comic book or a cartoon. Dragonball still has a certain level of popularity in the US, so I don't see what would be wrong in bringing it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
One Piece sucks, Maruna. However, I understand the interest in a Dragonball-inspired(and influenced) comic, sure.

But I very much highly doubt One Piece's universe is as rich and fantastical as Dragonball's.

You're comparing Dragonball to a linear pirate-storyline filled with thieves who've all got a story to tell, and it's delivered well but the animation lacks a variety of qualities and messages, which confines it to a much smaller, specific audience.

Dragonball has the fantasy elements, unique and revolutionary artstyle that's swept the world by appeal amongst many agegroups, something that One Piece has never done--in fact, Naruto has made a larger cultural impact than One Piece has.

Super Saiya-jins and crazy-slick hairstyles, skyhigh visceral fung-fu fighting, baddies with attitude and absolute power, in an amongst a rich fantasy adventure filled with the world's blended cultures, with plenty of learning elements and packed with some of the first interesting character development, were rocking the scene in Japan and across the globe far before One Piece or Naruto were ever conceived. There's too much of a backbone for Dragonball's following, so much that even to this day its fanbase outweighs the likes of most anime pop-culture franchises. It really is undefeatable, in terms of popularity and interest among larger audiences. There really is no competition: I strongly doubt any other anime will get the MMO treatment, not now or for many years to come.

Sorry, just ew, a One Piece universe? So do you plan on making the ugly drawn pirate with stretchy arms, or the ugly Edward-scissorhands wannabe? Either way you're beating up plush dolls with an ugly stick, you're being beaten by an ugly stick.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Let's try not to pick any fights here SS_Vegeta.

Actually in terms of resources to work with developing a MMORPG, One Piece does truimph DBZ. You have any of the fruit users who are basically unique or modified superhero archtypes; super human types like Zoro and Sanji; Weapon based characters like Zoro, Usopp, and Nami; Animal-Human hybrids like chopper and the logia types; Giants; and monster types like the Mermen. Heck you even have the Undead and Amazons now. Although no classic healer type classes, it is more open and has a more diverse move/technique pool to work with while the main problem we have with DBZ is that alot of the character's techniques blend into one another with only their power levels seperating them towards the end of the series. Not counting aliens like Buu.

I like Son-kun's idea of going back to more towards the earlier era. Rather then focusing on aliens and DNA, they focus more on actual fighting styles and techniques. It be interesting if they can bring back techniques like Yamucha's Wolf fist thingy or a cool way to use or control the Multiform techniques. Or expand on the Animal type people and Tenshihan's 3rd eye. Of course Toriyama will have to design some cooler looking animal people cause alot of them are too silly looking. Or expanding and improve on cyborgs and Ninjas and gun users.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
The teaser site looks interesting. Now if I could really read Asian writing or they had an English version, I would so join.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
SS_Vegeta wrote:
One Piece sucks, Maruna. However, I understand the interest in a Dragonball-inspired(and influenced) comic, sure.

But I very much highly doubt One Piece's universe is as rich and fantastical as Dragonball's.

You're comparing Dragonball to a linear pirate-storyline filled with thieves who've all got a story to tell, and it's delivered well but the animation lacks a variety of qualities and messages, which confines it to a much smaller, specific audience.

Dragonball has the fantasy elements, unique and revolutionary artstyle that's swept the world by appeal amongst many agegroups, something that One Piece has never done--in fact, Naruto has made a larger cultural impact than One Piece has.

Super Saiya-jins and crazy-slick hairstyles, skyhigh visceral fung-fu fighting, baddies with attitude and absolute power, in an amongst a rich fantasy adventure filled with the world's blended cultures, with plenty of learning elements and packed with some of the first interesting character development, were rocking the scene in Japan and across the globe far before One Piece or Naruto were ever conceived. There's too much of a backbone for Dragonball's following, so much that even to this day its fanbase outweighs the likes of most anime pop-culture franchises. It really is undefeatable, in terms of popularity and interest among larger audiences. There really is no competition: I strongly doubt any other anime will get the MMO treatment, not now or for many years to come.

Sorry, just ew, a One Piece universe? So do you plan on making the ugly drawn pirate with stretchy arms, or the ugly Edward-scissorhands wannabe? Either way you're beating up plush dolls with an ugly stick, you're being beaten by an ugly stick.

Are you for real? I mean not liking One Piece is fine, but what you just said shows you really haven't watched/much if any of it at all.

One Piece is very much a rich adventure story. Dragon Ball was one, too. But DBZ became too focused on fighting and stuff like that.

"Ugly drawn" is your opinion. But honestly I don't think you've seen a lot of One Piece.

One Piece isn't popular in America for obvious reasons. But it is the number one manga in Japan, and IMO it would make a better MMORPG. There are tons of character types and there are tons of unique environments that have already been created. In fact, if you ask me, just for that, if it was done right, a One Piece MMORPG would be the best.

Dragon Ball may have been the first, but it has been surpassed, IMO. Surpassed by a lot.

Anyways, I might play this game. Depending on whether I still have a computer that fails or not when it comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3