• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tarō Asō to Step Down as Head of Defeated Ruling Party

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Ha, guess Miyazaki was right.

No, but seriously... come on:

An animu center... or health-care and unemployment relief?

EDIT:

OKAY, I know it's not JUST an animu center... but come on...

Last edited by DKL on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'm impressed at how quickly you guys posted the news.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yukio Hatoyama looks like a Japanese George Bush. Rofl.

But at least Japan doesn't have any of that Republican/Conservative crap. Their two most powerful parties are both Democratic/Liberal? LOL, another reason why I wish America was more like Japan.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

But at least Japan doesn't have any of that Republican/Conservative crap. Their two most powerful parties are both Democratic/Liberal? LOL, another reason why I wish America was more like Japan.

What?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

Hatoyama family is known as Japan's Kennedy family.

Jaymie wrote:

Do a little more research; don't let their names fool you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

Political science fail.

The Japanese Liberal Democratic Party is similar to the Conservative side of things here in the U.S. The only reason it's 'conservative' over here is because Social Liberals have co-opted the word 'liberal' and Classical Liberals (conservatives) can't use it without confusing the hell out of the uninformed American public.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

I don't think it's like that in Japan... I think one of them is conservative.

Anyways... I have to agree with the new decision, sure I love anime, but fixing the economy is a better thing to with tax payers money... seriously.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

You don't know what you're talking about.

Anyway, I need to know more about Japanese politics to know if the DPJ finally winning is a good thing. I am certainly impressed that someone managed to remove the LDP from power for once, though.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Just read a news update: DPJ's victory is so overwhelming that they don't have enough candidates for proportional (non-regional) seats. This shows that they themselves didn't expect this landslide victory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
note to people who are not poli sci majors

The LIBERAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY, of Japan and most nations that have such a named party are normally the more right wing party the joke being, such parties are rarely very liberal or democratic.

-Gabe, BA Political Science
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
note to people who are not poli sci majors

The LIBERAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY, of Japan and most nations that have such a named party are normally the more right wing party the joke being, such parties are rarely very liberal or democratic.

-Gabe, BA Political Science

Post below doesn't address this quote... just re-quoting it.

============

I'll be honest... I can't possibly be the only person here who needs an alcoholic beverage after this line of conversation...

See, I don't even know about this stuff, but it's like... jesus.

Last edited by DKL on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well if history is any indication the takeover will be short lived.

Still, I hope there takeover goes better than ours.

rankothefiremage wrote:

Of course being a PS major you should know their is a much better reason than some joke you heard in class. One would hope anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I like anime and manga too, but Taro Aso should not have let it be publicly known that he was an otaku, nor should he try do do things using anime, manga and videogames. I can see why, and agree with Miyazaki for criticizing him. Aso should not merge politics with his hobby. His job and his personal life should be separate. Plus, I don't know how anime, manga and videogames are going to help the economy. They need to do real work, not hobby work.
AoiHonou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Japanese Politics: Tarou Asou out, Yukio Hatoyama in.

After this...will Japan will gain a rebound from the all-time unemployment record? Will the new party will heed on UN's urge of banning explicit eroge or they will dump it? Will Hayotama use anime and manga for Japan's interest like Asou did, or he will ignore it?

Let the answer be revealed in the next chapters of Japanese Politics.
-----

I guess that doujinshi about Asou and Obama I saw will be a thing of the past then.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Well I suppose those things are in the eye of the beholder. Though I partially agree with your second sentence. Even so, the fact remains that the ruling party in America has spent more money in its first 100 day reign than George Bush spent during his entire 8 years(including two wars), all while tax revenue are at a low. This while our deficit is exponentially skyrocketing so much that only our grandchildren will begin to put a dent into it, and that's if we start paying now. Thank God for China or we would really be in trouble. This is of course happening while there are clearly no controls on unemployment.

Including the 600 billion dollars or whatever the GOP gave the banks?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4