• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's Ponyo Slips to #13 with US$2 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joystick1101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised it did better than digimon, I thought it was a popular show and had a larger release. Well Ponyo may have lost to pokemon movies in the US but it won in total money internationally.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But I am a bit leery of the voice actors, but only because I know the two main characters probably haven't done anime voice over's before.

After seeing the film myself, I can assure you the dub is absolutely wonderful. I've seen Ponyo both subbed and dubbed, and I actually prefer the dub! (which is odd because I almost never, ever watch anime dubbed)

So don't let their vocal inexperience deter you, and if your still not sure, go and catch a matinee to save a few bucks. While not his best work, it is a visual treat. Ponyo is best seen on a big screen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
Ramblin: I'm guessin' Disney's really hoping that people who see Ponyo will say, "Hey 2-d isn't so outdated after all!", and give that 'Frog flick a chance. And my inner John K. is willing to call a truce with them on that, if it helps save the medium.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I am a bit leery of the voice actors, but only because I know the two main characters probably haven't done anime voice over's before. But I do know this, at least the actors can't be any worse than the Dragon Ball Evolution cast.
I just saw this before it left the theaters here in town and really enjoyed it. I am generally very picky about dubs but I thought Ponyo's dub was wonderful. I didn't do any research beforehand on who the dub cast was, but I had faith in its quality based on previous Disney localizations of Miyazaki's works, and I wasn't let down.

Hurry and go see it while it's still in theaters (if it is--it's gone from at least one of the two in my city)!
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But I am a bit leery of the voice actors, but only because I know the two main characters probably haven't done anime voice over's before. But I do know this, at least the actors can't be any worse than the Dragon Ball Evolution cast.

Comparing apples and oranges...

whether or not they've done anime before isn't as relevant IMO as the lack of ADR experience (most all anime is a form of ADR, but the opposite cannot be said of all ADR, which is just as common in live action productions as it is for animation, regardles of the original language). If you have voice over experience related to ADR, then the transition to animation (whether it's tradition animation or anime) shouldn't be too difficult.

Personal opinion was that the ensemble and supporting cast did a very good job, but that the main character VAs (particularly Cyrus) needed a little bit of work. I also found Liam Neeson's performance to be a bit akward at times.

I'm pretty critical of this stuff and I know it, but that's how I felt about the vocal performance for the movie. Overall it's a good movie, not one of the best from Ghibli, but a very enjoyable film (especially for the little ones).
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I seriously expected Ponyo to perform at least a little better than it has given the relatively aggressive marketing and coverage I saw leading up to its release. Of course, I realize something now that I hadn't even considered then: most of that coverage and ad placement was confined to newspapers.

Nobody reads frickin' newspapers anymore.

I wonder how its U.S. total thus far fares next to its promotional budget for that market?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2